It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:56 am

Books!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: Whatcha readin?

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:57 pm

I like Dali's work as well! He's not a bad writer either - it's just his writing is hard to read because he's just so obviously outrageous with his stories. Like in one, he claimed to have pushed a little kid on his bicycle right off of a cliff, and then immediately afterward admitted that he had made it up. It's just hard to read because he's constantly going into these stories about his life and then telling you how he made it up. But it's interesting, nonetheless.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:58 pm

I need some David Sedaris - have been reading lots of slightly heavy books lately!
It's a psychological analogy
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:59 pm

Sedaris is perfect to counter heavy books :) I just can't stop singing his praises. He's definitely in my top 3 of favorite all-time authors.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby SuzyBatt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:00 pm

Kelly, you should look into becoming his publicist! :D
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:02 pm

Haha, I really should!

I'm going to shut up though now, I promise! :silence:
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:02 pm

If only he wrote a humourous guide to the work of Soren Kierkegaard - slightly short on laughs, if I remember correctly :D
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:31 pm

Me Talk Pretty One Day was my first introduction to Sedaris. I was living in NYC at the time and remember trying to read it on the subway to and from work. I had to stop, because I was laughing so hard, but trying to contain it, so it just came out as snorts and other odd noises, and I didn't want to be one of those weird scary people on the subway! His story about the Dutch Sinterklas has been great amusement for my boyfriend and I since moving here to the Netherlands. I love the six to eight black men!

My favorite is still his description of being in French class and discussing Easter and the different traditions in different countries. I've heard a recording of his reading the story and the last line -- which is a bit rude, so I won't repeat it -- had me rolling on the floor. It was just so perfectly delivered!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby VaiVedrai » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:58 pm

I'd also add in Garrison Keillor's work (both in books and for A Prairie Home Companion) for a good laugh, or at least a mild chuckle.
If you don't know the answer, change the question.
VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:35 pm

I'm reading Mark Gatiss (League of Gentlemen) The Vesuvius Club...seems pretty good so far :D
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby Ozpot » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:29 am

I'm in the midst of re-reading the Scott Pilgrim series. It's an amazing graphic novel that I want to shamelessly promote. :roll:

It's quite absurdest and geeky at a lot of points. I'm not sure if anyone here would like it... :lol:
It also takes place in Toronto! There are many Canadian references.
And Stephen Stills, the guy in the back with the Western shirt and sideburns, is not bad looking for a cartoon character. >.> (shutting up now)
I'm waiting for the 6th, and final, comic to come out. :D
Last edited by Ozpot on Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Ozpot
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Emafer » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:37 am

I looked at my past posts and I don't think I posted this but I finished reading a couple of excellent books recently.

The Red Tent- Anita Diamante
FREAKING AMAZING! But straight up woman book. It's not "chick lit" by any means, it's just so female oriented that I can't imagine any man really caring to read it. But it's sooooo good. It tells the story of Dinah, a brienfly mentioned characted of the Bible. She was the daughter of Jacob and Leah, sister or Joseph. It's the fictional story of the life of her mothers (she had four) and then her entire life. It's totally authentic in detail and just so incredible.

The Devil in the White City- Erik Larson
It's the story of the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago and juxtaposes the life and crimes of a very active serial killer living close by at the time. It was really intereting to learn all kinds of details about Chicago and how the Fair was built and that kind of stuff. And then the seriol killer stuff is totally intersting and creepy.
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby bakergirl30 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:07 am

An incredible book called: The Art Of Racing In The Rain. By Garth Stein. The book is written from the perspective of a dog about his master and wife. Such a great book. I read this in a three hour flight it was THAT good. :) Made me laugh and cry.. just an all around great book.
ImageImageImageImage
bakergirl30
Crying tears of a rapper

Re: Books!

Postby AdminBot » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Bumping for obvious reasons. You never know, someone might want to add to it.

Merged two similar threads into this one btw.
AdminBot
Around and about

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm

I am currently reading:

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach. A very great read. She is a great author. Very informative and hilarious at the same time.

The Greatest Show On Earth: The Evidence For Evolution by Richard Dawkins. I love Richard Dawkins and that's all there is to it :)

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. The first in a soon-to-be 5 book series. The first season of the show Dexter is (loosely) based on this, the first book of the series. But the other seasons of the show don't follow the books. I am just getting into the show, but I'm hooked, and the book so far is giving a little more insight into Dexter's character. Of course I'm hearing it in Michael C. Hall's narrative voice LOL

With three books at once, and the new semester upon me, I'm not sure how much reading for enjoyment I'll be able to do, but hopefully at least enough to finish Bonk and Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Greatest Show On Earth is a very long book...)
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby LauraK » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:27 pm

You'll enjoy the books, Kelly. I'll be interested to hear your take on Astor and Cody. :whistle:

Mary Roach wrote one of my faves- Stiff- The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

PreviousNext

Return to General