Your Favorite Recipes!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Your Favorite Recipes!

Postby ItsAllRyche » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:59 pm

OH YUM!!! That is a definite dessert try for me!! Question, what makes the cherries MI cherries? Would any dried cherries do from like Trader Joe's etc?

Cheers!
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Oh, just that Traverse City is well known for being a huge producer of cherries in the country. I'd imagine that dried cherries from TJ's would be (almost) as good! :yawinkle:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Traverse City eh?

I am going to be in Detroit for a conference next August for roughly 9 days. Yeah, (great time to be there)....but I have a friend in Harbour Springs and to get there I have to go through airport at Traverse City.

Thanks for the info on the Cherries!!

Cheers!
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:24 pm

Ooo, you'll be near KellySouthPaw! :) And you can get some of our yummy cherries. :D
ImageImage

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:39 am

My old roomie, Amber, he brother and sister in law and her family live in Traverse City. She goes out there every year and usually brings up back treats. She brough home some cherry candles that we UNBELIEVABLE. They seriously smelled JUST like fresh cherries. But Amber makes these AMAZING Macaroons. I've never really likes Macaroons and I could eat a shoebox of Ambers. She doesn't use egg whites. It's something really simple like just coconut and sweetened condensed milk. But she adds milk chocolate chips and chopped up dried cherries. Oh my GOD are they heavenly.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:32 am

Macaroons! That reminds me of this recipe for 90-second macaroons that I've been meaning to try. I've got everything at hand, so maybe I'll do that this morning!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:21 pm

Here ya go Nancy!

I use Jiffy pie crust

Glazed Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
Ingredients:
1 1/4 c Sugar
1/8 ts Salt
1/3 c Flour
2 c Fresh strawberries
2 c Fresh rhubarb, cut in 1" pieces
2 T Butter or margarine
1 T Sugar
1 Pastry for 2-crust pie
Procedure:
Combine 1 1/4 cup sugar, salt, and flour. Arrange half the strawbwerries and rhubarb in a pastry-lined 9 inch pie pan. Sprinkle with half the sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining fruit and sugar mixture. Dot with butter. Install top crust and flute edges to make high-standing rim. Brush top of pie with cold water and sprinkle on 1 tablespoon sugar. Cut steam vents in top crust. Bake in hot oven (425 F) 40 to 50 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and crust is browned.
:D :D

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:52 pm

Mmmm. Sounds good CJ! I've never tasted a rhubarb before. I might have to be adventurous and try this out.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Oh, Red, it is definitely worth the adventure!

Thanks, CJ! Now I can have my midwinter pie cravings satisfied. :tonqe:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:26 pm

Ok, my cousin finally got back to me so here's the recipe, in male-form. :)

1 12oz bag of Hershey's (Special Dark) chips...or whatever the hell you like.

1/2 of a 14oz can of Sweetened condensed milk (7oz)..lol

or you can use 2 bags of chips and 1 can of milk, or 6 bags of chips and 3 cans of milk...you get the idea :D

Okay, double boiler or microwave; the original recipe had me doing it in the microwave. I prefer the double boiler because of better heat control.

Pour chips and milk together

Heat just until it's smooth. I stir it a lot when heating.

If the chocolate looks lumpy just add a little water (I use use rum or brandy!)

For the cherry fudge I add about a teaspoon of cherry extract and about half a jar of cherries cut in half. I drain them, then pad with some paper towel. I usually have to add a couple of teaspoons of brandy.
*He told me before he'd soaked them overnight in brandy. This is my plan.*

After mixing I normally let it cool some in the pan.

I pour it out on parchment paper and work it like they do in Frankenmuth as it cools to make a 'Log' shape..lol

I normally wrap it in the the paper and leave the ends open overnight. The next day it should firm up enough to slice.

That's it, now get off my back!... See you in a few weeks, Your favorite male cousin, ~Brad~ (If I'm not, please don't tell me!)

:lol:

Now who's brave enough to give that a whirl?? Imagunna. :)
ImageImage

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:03 am

Thanks Cousin Brad and Laura! This doesn't sound too difficult. So can it be made without the cherries too?

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:25 am

Anybody have a great recipe for horseradish mustard sauce??? I'm throwing a benefit on Thursday and we got some nice chicken sausage with spinach and I thought a nice mustard sauce would go well. At the market horseradish mustard was on sale so I got some.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:35 am

Boy, Em, I can't help you with horseradish mustard sauce, but it sounds great!

Laura, many thanks for the cherry fudge recipe - do you think it'll work without the brandy? (For obvious reasons :drinkers: )
Would I need to substitute something else, like water?
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:41 am

Nancy- I think the recipe (wherever it is, lol) never called for booze, he added it in, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'd stick with water when mixing the choc and milk if it looks lumpy.....and then just go with cherry extract. (If you're going to make the cherry.)
I've only had his cherry version and it's soooo yummy!

Red, it does sound easy, even though it'll require some "working!" I'm so looking forward to that part! I have 2 of those stainless steel pastry cutters, so that should work. I'm imagining myself like one of those professional fudge makers, deftly moving the fudge around and forming it into that long log........chances are it will not go like in my imagination. :lol:
As long as it looks ok and tastes like Brad's.....

Em, I don't. I had a chicken recipe that used honey dijon mustard on boneless chicken breasts and then you dredge them in flavored breadcrumbs and bake.....that was pretty good...

Maybe you could cook up the sausage and spinach with some onion, garlic, and some cheese and then make a phyllo pie of some sort? Either drizzle some of the horseradish mustard inside or use it as a dipping sauce...
ImageImage

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:55 pm

Yeah, I'm going to use it as a dipping sauce. No time to cook anything. The event is Thurs. I need to serve 200 people and run 10 other events between now and then, no joke.

Return to “Off topic rambles”