What are you listening to?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby Sherry » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:31 am

indigo_jones wrote:Our own Sherry is quite the fan of Mr. Shatner. I remember a time last year or so when she seemed to listen to little else. ;)

Not that I can speak. I'm on pretty much a solid Elbow kick these days. Their newest, The Seldom Seen Kid, is freakin' fantastic! I also finally got a copy of their first full-length which I'm listening to now. It's cool to track the progression of their style, although Guy Garvey has always been a brilliant lyricist. Thanks to the Fab Channel, I get to watch one of their recent concerts in Amsterdam. One of their various Dutch concerts that I keep missing because tickets sell out too quickly. :bang: :cry: :tears: :witsend:

Ooooo I love me some Shatner. Its classic :D

And who knew, more Elbow fans. Been liking them for years and finally they seem to be breaking through

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:28 am

I love this thread!!! :nod:
It exposes me to so many different kinds of music I never would have heard otherwise - keep up the great recommendations! :supz:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

H....
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby H.... » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:47 pm

Sherry, I have complete and utter sympathy with the whole Wiggles thing. Such a shame that Greg had to leave (the band, Neil).
Throw us your potatoes!

JenniferOHcious
Half a shapely halibut

Postby JenniferOHcious » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:59 am

Lately I've been listening to:

- Obviously Flight of the Conchords
- The Shins
- The album "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge" by My Chemical Romance
- Vampire Weekend
- Weezer (I love the song "Perfect Situation" but I like all of their stuff. Pork and Beans is great.)
- Closer by Nine Inch Nails
- Avenue Q and Spamalot

:)
Leave those poor sick monkeys alone, they have problems enough as it is.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:25 am

I keep meaning to get the Vampire Weekend album, as I like the stuff I've heard from it.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

dangerous person

Postby dangerous person » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:40 am

Last week I watched 'Later...' on BBC2 and they had 'Monkey Journey to the west' (well part of it anyway) on, it was brilliant! There was a giant dancing panda so that's basically all I needed to enjoy it. Might get the CD at some point.....
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

JenniferOHcious
Half a shapely halibut

Postby JenniferOHcious » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:05 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I keep meaning to get the Vampire Weekend album, as I like the stuff I've heard from it.

I like every single song on their album. It's SOOOO good.
Leave those poor sick monkeys alone, they have problems enough as it is.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:46 am

Vampire Weekend is a little to milque toast for me. I like a little rock with my roll. Lately I've been listening to The Sweet a lot. And then I constantly listen to Alvin Youngblood Hart.

aom192
Half a shapely halibut

Postby aom192 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:25 pm

I absolutely love the band MGMT, and it seems they're finally becoming famous!!

Also chec out Robots in Disguise - The tears. Brilliant song, andthe video is awesome too.

(sorry for randomness!:D)
Ah Gandolf...I like what you've done with your beard.

We'll never make it...there's thousands of them and only about 8 of us!
Oh no!
We made it.
Hurray!

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:03 pm

For irrational reasons, MGMT make me want to tear my hair out...silly hipster shite...oops did I say that out loud ? :twisted: :wink:
I'm only messing with you - don't get mad at me :doh:

Dance/rock that actually makes me smile and want to dance is an Austin band called The Black and White Years. Lucky guys managed to snag Jerry Harrison (from The Modern Lovers and Talking Heads) to produce their debut record.

http://www.theblackandwhiteyears.com/

They have a really cool video for a song called Power To Change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MblXzgDL-qQ
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:32 am

Right now? "Hello" by the John Butler Trio. Darn cool Aussies who are awesome guitar players. :supz:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:48 pm

I've been main-lining The Flaming Lips all weekend. They're so mind-bendingly great. I'm kicking myself for abandoning them for so long. Poor guys, languishing in a dusty, forgotten corner of my iPod, forced to hang out with Tom Jones, Bunny Wailer, Ani Difranco and all the other sad, neglected greats I've got lingering around, twiddling their thumbs. (Still, I bet there were some awesomely tripped-out conversations between all those guys, eh?)

I was suddenly reminded to go dig them out again because I was feeling deeply sorry for myself yesterday (I have the good old winter Cough N' Cold Combo). I decided to cheer myself up by re-watching the Conchords' Amoeba gig, and you know that bit at the beginning, where the boys are doing their sound check? Bret breaks into a little snippet of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, and even though it's totally rough and about 10 seconds long, it's still beautiful enough to make you want to hear him cover it properly, isn't it?

Oh man, I'll be so sad when the second season of Flight of the Conchords is over. But I am SO hopeful that it leaves Bret free to discover the next new musical adventures of the Video Kid. Because although he's a wickedly awesome comedian, he's also got some serious musical talent in his own right.

But in the meantime, I'm hanging in there. Chilling with Yoshimi and my kleenex, having a snuffly good time.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:27 am

:goodman: Sorry you're under the weather, Turnip. Hope you feel better soon. :goodman:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:21 pm

I hope you're feeling a bit better now, Neepje! I'm glad the Lips are helping you through this trying time. I got into them in '93 or so when they did the Transmissions from a Satellite Heart album, which remains my favorite. I saw them in concert a few times between then and the mid '90s and bought a couple more albums after that one, but sort of lost patience with them and I don't think I even bought Yoshimi, although I do have that song on a mix a friend made for me. Maybe I'll have to reconsider and give their later stuff a listen.

I've been in the mood for Alphaville recently after hearing a couple of songs on Friday while hanging out at the Potdeksel. They're so much more than Forever Young, and really wrote some fascinating lyrics and music.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:57 pm

Feeling considerably better today, thanks guys. I'm still hanging on to a bit of a cough, but that's only because it gets me lots of sympathy. Or at least, more room on the Underground.

Give Yoshimi a listen, Indy. You really should. I know how a band can kind of get on your nerves after a while (after a long teenage romance with REM, and our subsequent ugly, acrimonious break-up in the late '90s, I'm only now beginning to be friends with them again) but the Lips are worth re-discovering.

I'm envious of you getting to see them live. I never have, and I'd like to, just once. I've heard their live shows are insane.

What Alphaville songs are you digging? I haven't thought about them in ages.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Return to “Off topic rambles”