What are you listening to?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:19 am

When that song first came out, I think I was in high school, and I
just sang it 'cause it was on the radio. Then as I got older, someone said to really listen to the lyrics - :shock:

What a protected life I had led up to that time! :sofa:

It's still a great classic, though. :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:51 am

tldiva- That is freaking RAD!!! I'm soooooo jealous. My boyfriend met Phil's mother last spring.

SheWolf- I'm glad it's not because you "look like a woman and talk like a man", not that there's anything wrong with that.

Nancy- I guess that I grew up muuuuch less sheltered. I don't remember ever not knowing what it was about. Same with "Wild Side" by Lou Reed. But I grew up in Hollywood and that kind of thing isn't so unusual.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:12 am

Ah yes, the unsheltered, LA life, E!
:rock: :partyman: :red: :what: :dance:

TV, I like the idea of writing down favorite song lyrics and reading them, getting kids into poetry. Good idea! :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:45 pm

Awhile back wasn't Bob Dylan named one of the greatest recent poets or something and some people were complaining saying that he was a songwriter not a poet (sorry I can't remember the exact details of all this) but I remember thinking - if he isn't a poet who is? Song lyrics are the most accessible type of poetry.
90% evil
ImageImage

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:16 pm

2 of my faves this past week on heavy rotation are both Austin TX based bands :

Wine and Revolution : They have a fun, British mod pop/punk sound. They just released their first EP titled Edward The Magnificent. And they thanked me in the liner notes :lol: .

http://www.myspace.com/wineandrevolution

The Astronaut Suit : I saw them play a show this past weekend (they were on the same bill as a friend's band). Fantastic psychedelic, shoegaze sound. RIYL bands such as Spiritualized, The Verve, The Black Angels, Mazzy Star

http://www.myspace.com/theastronautsuit
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:42 am

Listening to Amy La Vere this week. She's a friend of ours and she's so stinking fantastic! We caught her show last night which was awesome but way too short!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:05 am

For Christmas, my daughter gave me the cd for the Broadway show, "In The Heights", and I haven't stopped listening to it. I'm not a big fan of rap or Latin music, but this is such an incredible mix of both, I love it - I can't get through the last number without tearing up:
"It's a wonderful life that I've known -
'Merry Christmas you ole' Building and Loan!'
I'm home!"
There are several numbers on YouTube.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQNqo2nNfz4
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 pm

Feeling nostalgic and giddy watching and listening to The Monkees(not the animal but the band) :yawinkle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol8aR_zhXpU
90% evil
ImageImage

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:14 am

I can't stop listening to Smashing Pumpkins today. It's like high school man!

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:30 am

I've been really into Paul Simon this week. My old Graceland cassette finally forced me to retire it (yeah, that old trick from the 80s still doesn't work all that great) so I replaced it with a cd. And since a cd player is what I have in my car, instant listening. :)

I also pulled out Black Seeds' Into the Dojo to help the gray, rainy, depressing weather we've been having. I played it on the main stereo in the gym. A lot of people really liked the taste of summer fun. :)
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:37 am

I've been listening to The Priests for several days now; their rendition of Pie Jesu is exquisite!
And for comedy, I dug out my album Give Me Immortality or Give Me Death by the Firesign Theatre. "It's weirdly cool, man."
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:34 am

LSully9 wrote:I've been really into Paul Simon this week. My old Graceland cassette finally forced me to retire it (yeah, that old trick from the 80s still doesn't work all that great) so I replaced it with a cd. And since a cd player is what I have in my car, instant listening. :)

I also pulled out Black Seeds' Into the Dojo to help the gray, rainy, depressing weather we've been having. I played it on the main stereo in the gym. A lot of people really liked the taste of summer fun. :)

Graceland! Oh man, that album was the soundtrack to my childhood. Any long road trip we took (and there were what seemed like hundreds of them) got ol' Paul Simon cranked up on the stereo. I think on one trip to Aix-en-Provence, my mum gave herself a repetitive stress injury by tapping the steering wheel to You Can Call Me Al one too many times. Ha! I should really dig that one out again. Thanks for the great reminder!

Hey Sully, do you have the Black Seeds' On The Sun? I think that one's even more summery and sunshiney than Dojo, at least to me. I bet people would love to hear it! (But Sully, you bring sunshine into people's lives even without your awesome taste in music. You make me smile, kid. :D )

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:27 am

Aww! Thanks Turnip. You make me smile too... a lot. You're awesome. :thumb:

I do not have that one yet. It wasn't in itunesand then they only had a couple songs and then literally, the day I found it on itunes as a full album, my computer died. :roll: Such is my luck... But its nearly time for my annual smokecds.com order so that may soon be fixed... I'm probably going to be getting a few of you other recs as well. :wink:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

Luna
New arrival

Postby Luna » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:26 am

Sleep to dream - Fiona Apple..

:D
"We no longer say yes... we say.. AFFIRMATIVE..."

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:38 pm

I've had my Austin friends, Built By Snow, on heavy rotation recently. They have 2 records : Noise (an EP from 2007) and Mega (which will be officially released on Jan 20th but I have an advance copy).

Take early Weezer, The Cars, The Rentals, and Devo and put them in a blender. And voila.....you've got Built By Snow :lol:

You can check them out at : http://www.builtbysnow.com or http://www.myspace.com/builtbysnow

“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

Return to “Off topic rambles”