It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:25 pm

What are you listening to?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby SheWolf » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:41 pm

I have no idea what pedestrian music is either.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby dangerous person » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:05 pm

I can only guess it's 'banal' music? Which would be....?
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"
dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby LSully9 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:41 pm

I would think it's that stuff they play in elevators and supermarkets... You know, like "jazzy" instrumental remakes of pop songs... They sound kinda like the old school ringtones... But that's just what I think. :) And if you have to listen to that for the next month and a half I feel very bad for you...

But anyway... I'm listening to Coldplay. Again. I manage to slip them in at least once a day... But my coworkers haven't complained lately so I'll take it as acceptable listening. :D I slip in a little FotC once in a while too. That's always interesting... lol!
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby dangerous person » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:56 pm

oops, I would probably categorise Coldplay as pedestrian music... :whistle:
dangerous person

Postby SheWolf » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:57 pm

Totally geeky but I'm a touch obsessed with Mad Men these days and when they played this song at the end of last week's ep I was what is that? I'd never heard this song before but I guess it was big in it's time. It's so spacey/futuristic & amusement park-ish & it fit so perfectly into what was going on in the show. So I've been listening to this daily since then & it makes me smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ybCjf6ras.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby dangerous person » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:59 pm

Mad Men season 2? You lucky thing, I cannot wait to watch it.......
Is it good?
Will listen to the music you linked to now.

(btw sorry LSully re Coldplay, it's just not my taste)
dangerous person

Postby dangerous person » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:02 pm

SheWolf wrote:Totally geeky but I'm a touch obsessed with Mad Men these days and when they played this song at the end of last week's ep I was what is that? I'd never heard this song before but I guess it was big in it's time. It's so spacey/futuristic & amusement park-ish & it fit so perfectly into what was going on in the show. So I've been listening to this daily since then & it makes me smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ybCjf6ras.

:lol: :lol: :lol: it has a certain gurggly quality like it's been recorded in a bowl full of water..
dangerous person

Postby LSully9 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:04 pm

dangerous person wrote:(btw sorry LSully re Coldplay, it's just not my taste)

Eh, I'm used to it... My BFF tells me the same thing. :roll: :P
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby SheWolf » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:29 pm

dangerous person wrote: it has a certain gurggly quality like it's been recorded in a bowl full of water..

I hadn't thought of that but yeah it sounds dated and aged but that's part of what makes it so charming to me. Plus I'm a huge fan of Googie -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googie - (one of my must do things is to get to southern California some day & drive around taking pic of all that glorious cheesiness from a bygone era) and it seem very indicative of that time when the space travel theme seemed to be everywhere. Anyhoo Don was taking off to SoCal in a plane so it fit but it also fit with other things I won't get into since you haven't yet seen it. I watched all of S1 of Mad Men going why the hell am I watching this boring crud but once S2 started a lightbulb went off in my head and I thought this is brilliantI see more parallels to the Sopranos each time and since that was one of my all time faves I suspect this one may be too.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby dangerous person » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:50 pm

LSully9 wrote:
dangerous person wrote:(btw sorry LSully re Coldplay, it's just not my taste)

Eh, I'm used to it... My BFF tells me the same thing. :roll: :P

:goodman:
dangerous person

Postby dangerous person » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:55 pm

SheWolf wrote:
dangerous person wrote: it has a certain gurggly quality like it's been recorded in a bowl full of water..

I hadn't thought of that but yeah it sounds dated and aged but that's part of what makes it so charming to me. Plus I'm a huge fan of Googie -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googie - (one of my must do things is to get to southern California some day & drive around taking pic of all that glorious cheesiness from a bygone era) and it seem very indicative of that time when the space travel theme seemed to be everywhere. Anyhoo Don was taking off to SoCal in a plane so it fit but it also fit with other things I won't get into since you haven't yet seen it. I watched all of S1 of Mad Men going why the hell am I watching this boring crud but once S2 started a lightbulb went off in my head and I thought this is brilliantI see more parallels to the Sopranos each time and since that was one of my all time faves I suspect this one may be too.

oooooooh, thanks for not spoiling it for me SW!! I never watched the Sopranos, so erm..... but I was hooked on Mad Men from the first ep. I gather it's not everyone's cup of tea though, but it sounds like season two is gonna be good.
dangerous person

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:38 am

To back up a bit, I don't think there's a true genre called pedestrian music - I just meant the music and lyrics that were composed by our executive director, a music teacher, and me were baaad, and I don't mean that in a good way. And yes, DP, I'm helping out so I have to hear it til the show goes up around Nov 20. :evil:

Telstar - wow, I haven't heard that since I was a kid, but that record sounded way older than it should have.

Mad Men - I haven't seen the second season yet, but I love the style of the show. And they seem to be authentic with the music they're using.

Googie - why didn't anyone call the style Googie back then? Ah well...It's cool, isn't it?

Back to listening to -ugh- Pinocchio ! :lyre:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby dangerous person » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:10 am

ah, I get it now (lol at pedestrian music as a genre)!
I'm sure your song is great, maybe it just feels weird because you wrote it :goodman:
dangerous person

Postby SheWolf » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:40 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:Telstar - wow, I haven't heard that since I was a kid, but that record sounded way older than it should have.
Googie - why didn't anyone call the style Googie back then? Ah well...It's cool, isn't it?

LOL I've found that most people who were around then seem to recall Telstar, apparently it was quite a hit.

I imagine when Googie was new it seemed modern but now it seems so cartoonish - like the Jetsuns. *off to look at more googie-esque sites=total geek*
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby softestbullet » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:25 pm

I have been waiting soooo long for the new Of Montreal album, Skeletal Lamping and my download code finally arrived today :D It's so utterly incredible, I just had to share! :D
'what is it sebastian? i'm arranging matches'
softestbullet
Lost but happy at sea

PreviousNext

Return to General