It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:30 pm

Seen any good movies lately?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:51 pm

Jess, that's cool about your brother doing the 3-D modelling. I love the behind-the-sceness special effects stuff. My boyfriend's brother used to work in the film industry doing motion-capture stuff. I think half the time I'd rather see documentaries on how it's all done than see the actual film!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby jm513 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:40 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Jess, that's cool about your brother doing the 3-D modelling. I love the behind-the-sceness special effects stuff. My boyfriend's brother used to work in the film industry doing motion-capture stuff. I think half the time I'd rather see documentaries on how it's all done than see the actual film!

Yeah, I'm proud of him :D He's only 24 and he's got a great career ahead of him! He is one of those lucky people that gets to do what they love and become rich in the process. He's certainly not there yet (although he does make really, really decent money) but I give him 10 years and then, like I said - he'll be supporting me :lol: What a job though - he spends half of his time watching movies!! He has a portable dvd player at his desk and they sit and watch movies and use them as learning tools. I apparently went into the wrong field......
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"
jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby kneedragger » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:11 pm

I'm afraid I haven't seen any movies that I really enjoyed this Winter :cry:

A couple have been pretty good, but nothing special. The ones I really want to see, like "Syriana", "A History of Violence" (I really like Viggo!), are hard to find in these parts.

One that I want to see very much (Of course :angelic: -it's about motorcycles), but it is not playing anywhere either, is "The Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins.

Sean
"What kind of rapping name is STEVE!"
kneedragger
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Sherry » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:38 pm

Brokeback Mountain

I loved it. Thought it was wonderful.

I could not really find much wrong with it. It was beautifully filmed, the mountains contrasting with the trailer park/shack living. The acting was good, often great (Michelle Williams has a career after Dawsons Creek methinks) Ledger was a revelation and I've long been an admirer of Ang Lee direction.

I loved that it was so hopeless, that it showed a side to a certain way of life in the US that is still taboo today. I don't think a film about a heterosexual couple, telling a similar love story could be as moving and as tortured as those two men. It was because of their situations, their way of life, the time they lived in, just made it all the more heartbreaking. I liked that it didn't use the cliches so overused in Hollywood to lead you through the film. I just became swept up in it and found that its honesty was enough.

I'm glad Ang Lee stepped up and made this. I seriously doubt a US director would have taken it on. And if they had have done, I might well expect it to be watered down. Kudos to the two male leads for not shying away from the script. Always a risky thing in fickle Hollywood, to take on such parts. They usually fall short and fall foul of the critics, and by extension the public it seems. The fact it has won the critics and audiences over, well, its a great film, why should it not.

It rates up there as one of the best films I have seen in the last decade. No fancy FX, no smug formula, just solid film making with a great cast and wonderful location and story.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby jm513 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:48 pm

I'm dying to see Brokeback Mountain, but I'm going to have to wait until it comes out on DVD like everything else, I never make it to the movies :(
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"
jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby Gayle » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:35 am

This weekend has been the weekend of watching my favorite old movies and cleaning the house at the atomic level. I sanded and seasoned all of my kitchen counters. Love doing that.

But the movies I watched are two of my happy movies. They make me feel happy no matter the mood I'm in when I start to watch them.

1. Saving Grace. I mentioned this film in another thread and I recommend it to anyone who likes quirky, sweet humor. It stars Brenda Blethyn (who I think is amazing in everything she does) and Craig Ferguson (formerly of Drew Carey and currently of the Craig Ferguson Show. Yes, I have an amazing grasp of the obvious). Brenda plays Grace, a widow who is left in substancial debt by her less than forthcoming late husband. Wackiness insues.

2. Woman on Top. This is a sweet romantic comedy about Isabel (starring a pre-Tom Penelope Cruz plus a cast of lovlies), a chef who leaves her cheating husband and Brazil to make a new start for herself in San Fransico. Wackiness insues.

These aren't the kinds of films you watch for insightfulness or deep philosophical thinking, but they are great mood elevators and sweet.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:17 am

Just watched Sense and Sensibility. :tears: :love:
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Andria » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:20 am

Gayle wrote:Just watched Sense and Sensibility. :tears: :love:

Oh! I was just thinking about watching that yestday. Love it. A favorite, indeed. Emma Thompson is great, especially the ending scene.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Gayle » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:24 am

She keeps it together through all of her trials and tribulations and the first good news she gets for herself, she falls to pieces. So sweet.

I also love the story - the fact that the practical Miss Dashwood ends up marrying the man she is passionate for and passionate Marianne marries the practical, stead-fast Colonel Brandon. *sigh* Sometimes we get what we need, not what we want.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Sherry » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:31 pm

Ooooo Kate. Finally!

I saw Syriana. It came out here this week.

Have to say, it was depressing viewing, but a very good film. And I enjoyed it, although thats not quite the right word for it. Thought provoking film. And The Bloke liked it also.

Good to see filmakers prepared to make such subject matter.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Kate » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:39 pm

Sherry wrote:Ooooo Kate. Finally!

I saw Syriana. It came out here this week.

Have to say, it was depressing viewing, but a very good film. And I enjoyed it, although thats not quite the right word for it. Thought provoking film. And The Bloke liked it also.

Good to see filmakers prepared to make such subject matter.

Very good film, indeed. And, yes, thought-provoking. Glad you liked it.

Along the same lines, I also liked "Good Night and Good Luck", "The Constant Gardener", and "Capote". None of them are a fun-fest, but a lot to think about, as well as fine movie-making.

I'm trying to work myself up to the point where I can see "V is for Vendetta". I'm not sure I could emotionally stand to see the Houses of Parliament blown to smithereens at the moment (and I'm not even from Britain!) But, I'm working on it.
Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:25 pm

Just found this on another board I read (the itallics in the first paragraph are mine):

V for Vendetta
By John DeFore

AUSTIN -- In a political environment that can brew controversy out of allegorical children's fables or a documentary about penguins, it is hard to imagine the intensity of feeling that will greet "V for Vendetta," a movie whose heroes are terrorists. One foresees news talk shows in which red-faced pundits denounce the filmmakers and call for boycotts. Given a film as entertaining and solidly crafted as this one, such attention could turn into strong boxoffice.

Of course, plenty of films -- particularly those set in dystopian futures like this one -- identify with revolutionaries. But most put heavy sci-fi clothing on their brave new worlds, while "V" takes pains to tie its reality to our own. Although based on a comic book, it isn't as heavily stylized as a superhero movie. Its score and production design, both rich and inviting, are heightened without suggesting that this near-future London is an outright fantasy, though the new government, a restrictive state led by John Hurt's Sutler, is draped in some awfully Nazi-ish iconography.

If the film's look and feel refuse to flee from the real world, its dialogue takes every chance to connect to it. We are told about the recent past, that "America's war grew worse and worse, and eventually came to London." Hot-button terms like "rendition" are sprinkled about; dissidents are handled as in a third-world dictatorship; and our hero (who calls himself V) lectures citizens who have surrendered their liberties to a government that promised to protect them from terrorism.

As V, Hugo Weaving has the unenviable task of playing the entire film behind an immobile mask. He rises to the challenge, bringing the character to life with body language and his sonorously nimble voice.

V has a flair for the theatrical. He introduces himself to London on Guy Fawkes Day with fireworks and a symbolic bombing, then hijacks a television broadcast to announce that he will return a year later to destroy the Houses of Parliament. He suggests that citizens who feel oppressed by their rulers should join him there. And then he's gone, leaving some very anxious politicians in his wake.

The viewer's proxy here is Evey (Natalie Portman), who accidentally becomes a part of V's plans. With her, we work through many of the expected reactions to V's approach -- and if she eventually comes around to his way of thinking, the film certainly doesn't present the choice as an uncomplicated one. The filmmakers (Andy and Larry Wachowski adapting the screenplay, James McTeigue at the helm) are clearly on the vigilante's side, but they give viewers room to question his motives and methods: Has he psychologically programd Evey? Is the city of London about to become a war zone simply because V has a personal grudge? The serious tone "Vendetta" takes encourages such moral nitpicking.

Although some marketing materials aim to position this as an action film, viewers expecting a thrill ride might be disappointed. V engages in a couple of satisfying crime-fighting set pieces, but the story is more occupied with mystery and intrigue. Happily, it almost is entirely free of the hollow pomposity that marred the Wachowskis' last two "Matrix" films. Here, Alan Moore's graphic novel and the history of real-world oppressive governments is more than enough, leaving no need for the screenwriters to invent hokey mythologies and plenty of room to fantasize about revolution.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/re ... 1001701281

Is anyone here ready for a film in which the heroes are terrorists? I have to really think about whether or not I am ready, emotionally, for such an experience, I really do.
Kate

Postby Andria » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:25 am

I'm not sure whether I am going to see V for Vendetta in theatres, but I am intending on viewing it at some point. The movie could be crap, who knows, but the whole hero/terrorist thing is all about perspective though, isn't it? Life isn't as black and white as Hollywood likes to portray.
If anyone does see the movie, post a review please! :)

Tonight I watched Everything Is Illuminated with Frodo, I mean, Elijah Wood. I really liked it. I found it both hilarious and then heart wrenching at times. It is all character driven, revolving around three men traveling together in the Ukraine. Oh, and a dog! (Three men and a dog, Gayle! ;) ) I loved the dialogue in the beginning - one of the character's English was very diverting. :lol:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

crime is a sucker's road.

Postby fawad-oh-so-prescient » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:11 am

'The Big Sleep' and 'Murder, My Sweet'. i'm on an old movie detective kick. V for Vendetta was good. changed the comic story a slight bit, but not much, so retained goodness.
fawad-oh-so-prescient
Keeping it funky

Postby Kate » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:28 pm

Andria wrote:I'm not sure whether I am going to see V for Vendetta in theatres, but I am intending on viewing it at some point. The movie could be crap, who knows, but the whole hero/terrorist thing is all about perspective though, isn't it? Life isn't as black and white as Hollywood likes to portray.

I finally saw V for Vendetta and it took my breath away. Anyone who cares about the current political and social milieu as much as I do will be blown away. I found my reaction to the film far more emotional than I even anticipated, and will have to see it a second time (probably when it comes to HBO) to actually get the "smaller", finer story points, as seeing it on the large screen just blasted me so hard between the eyes, I couldn't concentrate on the finer points at all.

Andria's point above is interesting: "... the whole hero/terrorist thing is all about perspective though, isn't it? Life isn't as black and white as Hollywood likes to portray." At first I thought a "hero/terrorist" would present such a "grey area" that most people would be lost in whether or not they could find it in their hearts to root for him. Not so here. It definitely is a "perspective thing", and this movie brings out your particular "perspective" in the most immediate sense. You will either love V or hate V, but there will be no walking out of the theater wondering about whether you do or not. And, shockingly, your reaction to what he does will often surprise you. (I know it did, me!) What I came out of the theater feeling, more than I ever did before is this statement: "Life isn't as black and white as Hollywood likes to portray." is probably true, but not necessarily correct. Maybe life has to go back to being black and white and a lot less grey before this situation gets better? Maybe Right has to be right and wrong has to be wrong again... without the grey area that gives people wiggle room when it comes to things like helping people less fortunate than themselves, or standing up and speaking truth to power, or just doing the right thing for everyone, not just themselves. It's the grey area where all the sliminess, the war-mongering, the hate lives. This film makes the viewer come out of the theater feeling either galvanized and ready to fight the injustice around them or convinced that Hollywood is, indeed, Satan. No middle ground. At least that's how I saw it. No wonder the Right Wing hates this film... that's all I can say!

For an emotional POW, see it on a big screen. I actually saw it on an IMAX screen, and felt shot between the eyes. I don't think it could have that effect -- to that extent -- on the smaller screen of a television set, but I could be wrong.

It's not crap. But, whatever else it is, only you will decide!
Kate

PreviousNext

Return to General