It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:42 am

How to be the most beautiful girl in the room

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: How to be the most beautiful girl in the room

Postby Emafer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:51 pm

I've alwasy worn Mac make-up. Since I was like 14 and you could only get it from a professional mail order catalog. Moving from Los Angeles to Colorado, no real problem. But moving from Colorado to Memphis I have make-up dripping down my face and major racoon eyes. So I go into the Mac counter and ask them what they can do for me. They have these new "Paint Pots" that are cream make- up. I'm totally in love. I have the eyes shadows and eye liner and they are waterproof, sweat proof, and Memphis humidity proof. It takes a tiny bit of getting used to beucase they go on heavier than powder and you can't just wipe if off with a tissue. You have to use a tiny bit of make-up remover or face cream to clean up any mistakes. But they blend just about the same as powder and I have ZERO worries about haveing big smudged under my eyes.

Now I also switched to a waterproof Mac mascarra and it's just ok. I mean, it's good, it down't smear, no racoon eyes. But it makes my eye lashes a bit brittle and you have to wipe the brush or it goes on very thick. The one I keep hearing about is the Trish McEvoy mascarra with silicone that creates a tiny tub around your eye lash and then never comes off until you rub it with a bit of warm water. Unfortunately I'm allergic to silicone. :(
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby Val2150 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:59 pm

I think you mentioned those before the Great Post Annihilation, right Emafer? I'm glad you posted that again because I was trying to find them the other day and couldn't remember who made them. I hear ya on the raccoon eyes - I hate having my eye makeup smudged!
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:01 am

I am always up for trying a new mascara. That Max Factor one seems to be the flavor of the moment for me, but those tube formulas sound intriguing.

Emafer, my daughter was on the road with the National Tour of Hairspray (as Shelly, understudy for Tracy), and the tour was so classy they provided the makeup for each cast member - Mac! She loved it. She said it was too expensive for her to buy, but she was glad to get it on tour. Every Sunday after the last show, all the girls would throw out their false eyelashes, because they got a new pair each week. I thought that was so extravagant, but with the possibility of infection, I see why they did it.

I think before The Great Annihilation I mentioned using Bare Escentials powder foundation, and how I love it because I never, ever sweat in it. I did Nunsense and used it as my foundation, and even in a habit under hot lights, no sweat. :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:30 pm

I tried Bare Escentuals once upon a time, when a friend was raving about it, but the mineral foundations tend to make me itchy, unfortunately. I'm a fan of powder foundations in general and I've used a fair few over the years -- Body Shop, Lancome, Cargo, Clinique -- but I'm back to the Body Shop one now, which is the one I first started with. I had been using one of the Clinique ones recently, but it seemed like it was emphasizing my pores and generally not controling the shine very well. The Body Shop one does a much better job and lasts all day. I'm so glad the stores here didn't have my color in the Clinique version. That's why I went back to the Body Shop.

I tried one of those "tube" mascaras a few years ago when they first started coming out -- although not the Trish McEvoy version -- but it didn't seem to do much for me and did, in fact, smudge, although that's always a problem for me.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:44 am

I'm so glad I've lucked out in the smudge department - one thing I usually do is take a q-tip and go around the under eye area to pick up little stray dots of mascara, even lightly right under the lower lashes. Maybe that helps keep those mascara smudgies at bay. :dunno:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:34 am

indigo_jones wrote:I tried Bare Escentuals once upon a time, when a friend was raving about it, but the mineral foundations tend to make me itchy, unfortunately. I'm a fan of powder foundations in general and I've used a fair few over the years -- Body Shop, Lancome, Cargo, Clinique -- but I'm back to the Body Shop one now, which is the one I first started with. I had been using one of the Clinique ones recently, but it seemed like it was emphasizing my pores and generally not controling the shine very well. The Body Shop one does a much better job and lasts all day. I'm so glad the stores here didn't have my color in the Clinique version. That's why I went back to the Body Shop.

Aaaah! Body Shop cream-to-powder foundation! That was my first, timid foray into real make-up, lo those many years ago. It is good stuff, isn't it? Alas, over time, my skin has changed to become quite dry, and my beloved Body Shop make-up now tends to make my face look like one of those Incan mummies left out in the Andes for a century or three. It's a look. Not necessarily a good look, but a look, nevertheless.

These days, I go for Clinique, which as you say, is definitely oilier. Yeah! Love those sweet, sweet lubricants, baby! And I have ridiculously pale, cadaverous-looking skin, so trying to find a foundation to match is always a real treat. Clinique has some good pale ones with pinky undertones, and as a bonus, they don't smell all funny like a prossie's boudoir. I love scents, but they tend to make my face itch. I'm a sensitive thing, you know. :halo:

One of the tricks I'd really like to learn is how to line my upper eyelid properly. I don't want to Winehouse it all up, but just do a smooth, sleek line. Why is that so hard? I tend to get the wobbles and end up effing and blinding all over the place as I furiously try to smudge it right. Buh-gger. Nothing like a make-up-related meltdown to start your day, eh?

Does anyone have any brilliant tips to change my eye-liner life? I've tried pencils, I've tried little gel pots and angled brushes, I've tried those nightmarish wet liners, and I still can't get the hang of it. Evidently the gods wish me ill.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:06 am

I haven't got the answer. I have a tiny skin tag on my eyelid that makes a nice narrow line next to impossible. So I go a bit heavier than I'd like,(but not Winehouse-y) and sometimes very unevenly at that. :roll:
I usually use a Rimmel or Avon pencil, and then q-tip it into a decent line. (Avon also has a brand -Mark - that makes a really good gel pot with a bent stiff brush) If the liner's too light, then I go over it with powder shadow and a stiff angle brush. I'd love to get a good smudge technique down instead of q-tipping the liner. I just don't seem to have the hang of it. :dunno:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:55 am

And I have ridiculously pale, cadaverous-looking skin, so trying to find a foundation to match is always a real treat.

Sing it, sister! Lancome and Cargo were the best when it came to the perfect matching shade, although I don't mind ones that are slightly darker but in the same tone, as those stop me from living up to my old "Ghost Spice" nickname.

My skin can't decide if it's oily or dry. It's generally oilier in the t-zone area, but it can also feel tight and uncomfortable without the right moisturizer. But if the moisturizer isn't light enough, it ends up just sitting on my face, rather than soaking in, so I still end up shiny. Of course, the rest of my face wants a richer moisturizer. For now, I'm using a Neutrogena light moisturizer with sunscreen during the day and then using a Nivea moisturizer at night. That seems to be doing ok for now.

As for lining, I'm not all that gifted either. I settle with using a really dark eye shadow and using a thin, square, flat-tipped brush I got from Prescriptives years ago. I've had more luck with that brush than using angled brushes, for some reason. I just sort of tap it along the lash line, rather than sliding it and it does a decent job. It's not quite as dramatic (without being Amy Winehouseish), but you can build up the corners a bit that way. I think the Smudge Pots from Benefit or Bobbi Brown were the best for going that bit more dramatic, but I still have a hard time getting a crisp, even line. One eye ends up heavier than the other.

(The reason why I mention brands as much as I do is simply because the board I've been on for more than six years originally started off as a makeup thread on TWoP. Now everyone tends to talk about babies more than makeup, but old habits die hard, I guess.)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Val2150 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:51 pm

Oh my gosh, I'm a total spaz when it comes to eyeliner too - I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble with it. I'll have to try the dark eyeshadow and thin brush trick, that's a good suggestion. And I found the worst mascara ever for smudging - Maybelline Great Lash. Don't try it, ladies! It'll give you raccoon eyes like that's its job.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby SheWolf » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:04 pm

I've never had a mascara smudging problem but maybe that's because I've always worn the waterproof stuff. My skin is dry so applying foundation can be tricky as everything seems to be oil free when I could actually use a bit of oil. And being ridiculously pale I need to get the lightest shade, usually an ivory which often makes my skin look unnatural and geisha-esque.. I've been using Sally Hansen Skin Brightener for the past few years and I love it because it adds just a touch of sheen to my skin for that subtle healthy glow and miraculously I've just found a pink blush that actually stays on my skin - it's Maybelline Expert Wear. I line my upper lid with kohl pencils which go on smooth, any kind will do from Rimmel to Sephora brand (one of my faves). I don't know how anyone manages with liquid liner, that stuff is impossible. When I line the lower lid on the outside my eyes look weird and round, when I line them on the inside they look small and weird so I go makeup free on the lower lid.

Though I dislike their underwear I have had good luck lately with Victoria's secret lotions and lipsticks.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:42 pm

Weren't we talking of Lush here?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DEHiuj3Zxkc
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:29 am

SW, that is truly eerie!!! :rolleyes: :shock:
That massage bar intrigues me, what with the shea and cocoa butter, but the scent combo sounds weird. Rose, lavender, etc might be okay if they're very subtle, but if as you say Lush is heavy-handed with the smellies, it'd be over the top stinky. I don't think I'll be trying it, even though it was named for the guys. :hrmpf:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Emafer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:32 am

Val2150 wrote:I think you mentioned those before the Great Post Annihilation, right Emafer? I'm glad you posted that again because I was trying to find them the other day and couldn't remember who made them. I hear ya on the raccoon eyes - I hate having my eye makeup smudged!

Ahhhh, thaaaat's what happened. I thought I'd posted that but then I read this thread and though "maybe I tried to post but my computer had a glitch and it didn't show up."

I have very long and curley eye lashes so racoon eyes are virtually inevitable with me. Girls using Q-tip's, there is nooooothing wrong with that. In my opinion, that's why God invented Q-tips. I did theatrical make-up for many years and even with all my experience I go through many Q-tips.

And being ridiculously pale I need to get the lightest shade, usually an ivory which often makes my skin look unnatural and geisha-esque.. I've been using Sally Hansen Skin Brightener for the past few years and I love it because it adds just a touch of sheen to my skin for that subtle healthy glow and miraculously I've just found a pink blush that actually stays on my skin - it's Maybelline Expert Wear.

She Wolf- ME TOO!!! I have incredibly pale skin and have a horrible time finding any kind of foundation. Especially because I'm also allergic to everything. I finally found a Physician's Formula one that I think is called "Nude Peach" but I bought it once and now cannot find that color ANYWHERE!

Nancy- The thing about Mac is that is lasts FOREVER without spoiling or anything. So it cost a lot more but you don't have to throw it out after 6 months or a year. You pour a few drops of rubbing alcohol over it every 6 months, let it evaporate and you've disinfected it and are good to go. Also, they have a few every day items that they have dedicated to keeping low cost including their mascara. And at the holidays and special times of year they will put compacts together where you can get like 4 eye shadows and a lipstick for $35. Yes, I know that's still a lot more than Cover Girl but in my opinion it's soooo worth it. Over the years I have had to budget many things but Mac and having my hair done at the salon by a great stylist are the two I will never ever ever cut out.

Oh and I totally agree with throwing out the falsies. It's super hard to get all the glue off and that collects bacteria. She should also be cleaning her make- up brushes in rubbing alcohol ever couple of weeks. Just being out on tables with other girls' brushes can transfer bacteria. If ever performing and there is "community" make-up, insist on using your own or at minimum, your own brushes that you keep separate. Nothing is worse than getting pink eye or cold sores unwittingly.

With the tube mascara: Amy LaVere is a touring musician and SWEARS by the Trish McEvoy. It's like $35 a tube but she doesn't leave home without it. She says that no matter what, she can roll out of bed and be ready to go on stage or have photos taken or whatever need be and it doesn't come off and it never smudges. She says when you first put it on you have to gently close your eyes for about 20 seconds and let it dry. And after that you're good all day.
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby SheWolf » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:52 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:SW, that is truly eerie!!! :rolleyes: :shock:
That massage bar intrigues me, what with the shea and cocoa butter, but the scent combo sounds weird. Rose, lavender, etc might be okay if they're very subtle, but if as you say Lush is heavy-handed with the smellies, it'd be over the top stinky. I don't think I'll be trying it, even though it was named for the guys. :hrmpf:
I love lavender but sometimes it can be strong and sort of old lady smelling so I'd have to give this bar a sniff in order to know if it was the good lavender. I like rose a little but that can be dodgy as well. I think Business Time would be more sensual if it smelled of things not quite so stinky. Too bad they couldn't bottle that musky Bret smell or whatever Jemaine smells like that Margaret Cho said was nice.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:14 am

So are Mac cosmetics available in dept stores now, or just specialty stores? I'd love to see the line in person, but I've had pretty good luck ordering cosmetics online, so that's definitely an option. It sounds like an after Christmas prisint for moi, maybe!!! :D
Trish McEvoy - hmmm - another prisint??? :eyelashes:

:offtopic: Emafer, what sort of theatrical ventures were you involved in?

:topic: I toured with Rumors in the days of Max Factor Stick Foundation, which luckily didn't destroy my face. It was soooo heavy and thick!
*Wants to try Mac NOW!!!* :bounce:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

PreviousNext

Return to General