It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:31 am

Call Me Pearl: The NZ Culture Thread

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: Call Me Pearl: The NZ Culture Thread

Postby Emafer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:30 am

I'm not surprised. It's sort of equally distant from the equator as Cali.
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:56 pm

Emafer wrote:
SheWolf wrote:Was it the family with the young twin boys and they bought the A frame house where grandad lived next door? :) I've seen a whopping total of 2 House Hunters from NZ. I wish they'd do more there. I love House Hunters BTW, I'm totally addicted.

No it was a couple from the San Diego area with no children.

'K, just saw this one the other night. I'm glad they got a place that their blind dog Bunny can enjoy. I didn't really care for any of the houses. Every NZ home I've on House Hunters is in a major 70's time warp....but the views are always lovely.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Emafer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:17 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Emafer wrote:
SheWolf wrote:Was it the family with the young twin boys and they bought the A frame house where grandad lived next door? :) I've seen a whopping total of 2 House Hunters from NZ. I wish they'd do more there. I love House Hunters BTW, I'm totally addicted.

No it was a couple from the San Diego area with no children.

'K, just saw this one the other night. I'm glad they got a place that their blind dog Bunny can enjoy. I didn't really care for any of the houses. Every NZ home I've on House Hunters is in a major 70's time warp....but the views are always lovely.

Yeah I agree, the houses were kind of funky but the views and the land were AMAZING!
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:36 am

On the top of the New York Times' Most Emailed list this morning was this gorgeous article: A Walk Through New Zealand's Watery Wild. It's about hiking the South Island's Milford Track, and I'd really recommend the piece - it's a bit like taking a beautiful, misty, mysterious five minute holiday while you read it.

And now if you'll excuse me, I need to go sell a kidney so I can afford to move there. I like sheep. I think butter is awesome. I dig walking. This is going to be so great! :D

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:18 am

SWEET! Sooo going to take a long quiet moment to read that. I love sheep butter and walking too!!!
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:39 am

I watched Kung Fu Panda this weekend. That looks amazingly like some of the scenery! :lol: Absolutely gorgeous! I'm a sucker for a beautiful misty scene, though. I think NZ would be perfect for the boyfriend and I, as he loves the mountains and I love the sea. Something for both of us! I wonder if that walking route is the same one that Tessa Rain did years ago. She did an interview on Radio NZ a few years ago where she mentioned walking the south isle (and perhaps the north isle, too).
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Val2150 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:20 pm

:shock: That looks stunningly beautiful. I have always wanted to do a hike like that (though not necessarily in NZ). I really, really need to take a trip there someday.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:21 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I watched Kung Fu Panda this weekend. That looks amazingly like some of the scenery! :lol: Absolutely gorgeous! I'm a sucker for a beautiful misty scene, though. I think NZ would be perfect for the boyfriend and I, as he loves the mountains and I love the sea. Something for both of us! I wonder if that walking route is the same one that Tessa Rain did years ago. She did an interview on Radio NZ a few years ago where she mentioned walking the south isle (and perhaps the north isle, too).

Ooooh! I'm going to have to search for that interview! It might have been the Milford Track that she was talking about. Oh but hey, wait, didn't she and Age meet when they were both working in the Abel Tasman National Park? I know there's a really famous hike there, too. Called, imaginatively enough, the Abel Tasman Coast Track.

Oh god, I just went looking at pictures of it, and it almost made me weep. It would make a blind man weep. Golden beaches and lazy green pine trees and water so deep and blue you could drown just looking at it. I won't post pics here for fear of making people even less pleased with January weather than they already are, but if you're the masochistic type, check this out. Nice, eh? Sigh.

I'm an ocean girl, too. I'm always happiest when I'm near water. I think I was a fush in a previous life. You? :wink:

ASmallTurnip

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:29 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:
indigo_jones wrote:
I'm an ocean girl, too. I'm always happiest when I'm near water. I think I was a fush in a previous life. You? :wink:

This is me too! I am suuuuch a water girl. I grew up with a house at the beach and a house on a lake. When I moved to Colorado and there was no beach I took up white water rafting. Now that I live in Tennessee I'm trying to figure out what available water sport to pick up this spring. However, it is comforting to just watch the Mississippi.
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:06 am

Count me in as a water girl - I love to watch the way the clouds can make it deep blue or an angry gray. When I got married, our apartment was on Riverside Drive in NYC, looking out on the Hudson - we could see the George Washington Bridge as well as New Jersey, and every day when I got home and looked out at the river I felt a calmness after running around the city all day. :D

I read this NY Times article this morning, and tried to think of ways to raise funds for my "Get Me To New Zealand" Charity. :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby LSully9 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:14 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:Image

On the top of the New York Times' Most Emailed list this morning was this gorgeous article: A Walk Through New Zealand's Watery Wild. It's about hiking the South Island's Milford Track, and I'd really recommend the piece - it's a bit like taking a beautiful, misty, mysterious five minute holiday while you read it.

And now if you'll excuse me, I need to go sell a kidney so I can afford to move there. I like sheep. I think butter is awesome. I dig walking. This is going to be so great! :D

It's gorgeous! I love that picture! It has now replaced Bret & Jemaine as the wallpaper on my mobile... And Milford track is one tour that I definately wanted to do! It's been on GlobeTrekker more than once and it's just breathtaking... It really is... Sigh...
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:11 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:When I got married, our apartment was on Riverside Drive in NYC, looking out on the Hudson - we could see the George Washington Bridge as well as New Jersey, and every day when I got home and looked out at the river I felt a calmness after running around the city all day. :D
That sounds so lovely Nancy. That's a dream of mine and the best of both worlds I think, is to be in the city yet be near the water. Whenever I take the PATH to Christopher St. I have to walk a few blocks west and go to the Christopher Street Pier/Hudson River Park area, if only for a minute, to soak in the calming vibe of the water.
http://flickr.com/photos/shebearess/278 ... 902714682/
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby ASmallTurnip » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:06 pm

LSully9 wrote:It's gorgeous! I love that picture! It has now replaced Bret & Jemaine as the wallpaper on my mobile... And Milford track is one tour that I definately wanted to do! It's been on GlobeTrekker more than once and it's just breathtaking... It really is... Sigh...

Okay, Sully. **Turnip hocks a loogie into her palm, extends hand.** You and me, baby. We're going to do it. One day. You bring the gorp, I'll bring the flask of whiskey. I'll meet you in Queenstown, and the last one there's a rotten egg!

ASmallTurnip

Postby Val2150 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:24 pm

^ Hey, can I join the hiking group too? :worry:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby ASmallTurnip » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:39 pm

Val2150 wrote:^ Hey, can I join the hiking group too? :worry:

OF COURSE! The more the merrier! There's always room for wonderful people!

But there is to be absolutely, positively NO LAUGHING at me when I exhaustedly give up half-way through and hitch a ride on a passing sheep. And NO PHOTOGRAPHS of that, either. I've learned the hard way on that one.

ASmallTurnip

PreviousNext

Return to General