What's for Dinner?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby Peaches » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:59 pm

I had taco's last night! Mmmm, wouldn't mind one now...I already had a fruit mince pie for breakfast...that's not very healthy!
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:20 pm

indigo_jones wrote:SuzyBatt, we do capeletti in brodo (broth) on Christmas quite often, which is pretty similar to tortellini. Yummy stuff!

Dumplings are actually insanely easy to make. My great-grandmother used to make them all the time, but when my mom tried to ask how she made them, she was like, "you take a handful of flour, a pinch of salt," etc., and my mom was thinking, "but your hands are bigger than mine!" It really is pretty simple, though. For just the two of us, I use about 1 cup of flour, a tablespoon of melted butter, a half teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and around a 1/2 cup of milk (buttermilk if you've got it, regular stuff is fine, too). I also like to add in some herbs; thyme is good with chicken dishes, as is dill, but parsley or anything else tends to work, too. Just mix until it's just come together. Don't overmix. Then just drop in spoonfuls on top of the chicken mixture and cover with a lid and let the whole thing simmer for 15-20 minutes. Keep the lid on, though, because essentially you're steaming them, so you don't want to let the steam escape by opening the lid.

That's the most important part, don't peek. Unless your clear glass casserole lid fits perfectly over your saucepan! ;D

I made meat loaf last night. My boss gave me a bag of root veggies from his crop share, so we will have roasted veggies alongside...
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby Emafer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:42 am

mohumbhai mania wrote: My boss gave me a bag of root veggies from his crop share, so we will have roasted veggies alongside...

MY FAVE! It's the Irish in me.

I got a veggie knish when I was at Whole Foods today. So I'm going to heat that for dinner. Lately I've been having a hard time eating and have been making milkshakes simply because they go down easily and have a bit of protein. I was so delighted to see a knish, such fantastic comfort food.
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:31 am

I love roasted veggies. They take on whole new flavors that way.

We had chili last night, because it was a snowy day (yay!) and it's easy enough to throw together without a lot of thought or fuss, since I was busy getting the upstairs sorted out before the MIL arrives.

Not sure what I'll do tonight. I don't want anything too labor intensive, since we'll be going out this evening right after dinner.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Emafer » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:51 am

indigo_jones wrote:I love roasted veggies. They take on whole new flavors that way.

I'd never had roasted broccoli but I saw Ina Garten make it and thought I'd try it. HO-LY CRAP! It was soooooo freaking good. Now, I normally love broccoli but just eat it steamed. Roasted is outa this world.
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby VaiVedrai » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:36 am

SuzyBatt, thanks for the store recommendation! I'll have to go check out Milano sometime soon. Ditto the various Asian grocery stores...I love going in and buying a few random items to try out. Since then, I've gotten hooked on chrysanthemum tea, and .

Tonight's dinner was tourtière, cream of mushroom soup and some steamed vegetables. Simple but good.
If you don't know the answer, change the question.
VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:39 pm

I brought a tortiere or to Christmas potluck on Saturday. A little church near us makes them by the thousands. You swing by, pick up a frozen one, and 40 minutes in the over later it's tortiere!

One of the host's kids (age 13), had a piece and said, "It's meat, it's pie. Meat pie! It's the greatest inventions ever!" :D

We had a nice curry of chicken and leftover veggie tray from our Christmas potluck on Friday. And too many Christmas cookies. :tonqe:

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby funny schipperke » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:34 pm

This is probably a really dumb question, but how does one roast veggies? :hrm:
Sounds good, but I'm sort of clueless in the kitchen unless I have specific instructions.
Image Image
funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby vmh » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:28 pm

funny schipperke wrote:This is probably a really dumb question, but how does one roast veggies? :hrm:
Sounds good, but I'm sort of clueless in the kitchen unless I have specific instructions.

In the oven. Roasting is my preferred way of cooking veggies. I love slicing up carrots, yellow squash, and zuccini and using this as a side dish. Just coat whatever veggies you're working with with a little olive oil and salt and pepper before you leave them in the oven. I like roasting red peppers too but instead of cooking them in the oven, I just set them atop an open flame and turn them with tongs until they're black on all sides. Then after, just scrape off the black, burned skin and walaa...you have a roasted red pepper! Great in omelets, sandwiches, whatever, etc. Whenever I try to attempt making something for the first time, I just google it or try to look for a how to video on youtube. It helps when you have a visual.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby funny schipperke » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:53 pm

That sounds easy enough. Thanks, vmh! I'll have to try it out.
I usually just steam veggies or throw them on my george foreman, but I'm always looking for new ways to make them.
Image Image
funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Emafer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:23 pm

Last night I made a crustless quiche. Which I quess technically makes it a baked egge casserole. Either way it was killer. It have spinach, sweet corn, turkey bacon and cheese. That's just what we happened to have in the house. My mom looked at me and said, "Don't you need a recipe?" I kind of laughed. She says, "How do you know what to put in it". She's so cute. The culinary gene skipped right over her. Even on the phone last night my aunt said, "Emafer, I'm putting YOU to the task of making something delicious." She knows that I've been making the holiday feasts since I was about 21.
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby Peaches » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

That sounds tasty! But what is turkey bacon? Sounds like some meat substitute...
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby VaiVedrai » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:51 am

It's mock-bacon made from turkey meat. I haven't tried it, though I do like "bacon" bacon. :lol:
If you don't know the answer, change the question.
VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:08 am

We had some thin-sliced venison from my husband's dad. He came up with the idea of a venison stir-fry, and went to the little store near us and got mushrooms, shallots asparagus, red pepper, celery and carrots. (they always give us a deal on the wilted or leftover catering produce they have) .

I marinated the venison in rice wine vinegar and soy sauce, made a sauce with shallots and some more ingredient out of the marinade, threw everything together, and it came out great. Had some leftover brown rice, so that was nice over top.

I love improvising over a frying pan!

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:46 am

I love improvising like that. A bit of this, a dash of that ...

I had hot dog rolls last night. As in a square of puff pastry, a smear of mustard, a slice of cheese, a spoonful of sauerkraut, a hot dog, roll it all up and twist the ends, then bake. Yummy!

Tonight I'm going out with some fellow expats, and I think we're going for burgers and beer!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

PreviousNext

Return to General