Your Favorite Recipes!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Your Favorite Recipes!

Postby Fluffyblonde » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:27 am

In fact, we could even tie this in with the FOTC. What would you love to serve them if they came to your house for dinner? And please include recipes - I'm adventurous and would love to try different things! :lol:

If you were going to take them a box of Christmas treats, what would you include? Do you have an heirloom recipe that has been handed down from generation to generation? Please share it!

Thanks,

Fluff :D
Spencer's Sister
Fluffyblonde
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Sherry » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:15 am

ooops

I posted a recipe reply in the food? post on this forum.

I did not see this till after. My bad.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Kate » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:59 pm

Sauteed Chicken Cutlets with Mushrooms in Shallot & White Wine Sauce

Serves 4 (or two really hungry)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 to 8 ounces each), pounded thin
Olive oil (use a regular or light -- Extra Virgin will overpower the dish)
Kosher or sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 lb. Mushrooms (white or crimini -- wild or exotics overpower the dish), brushed off and sliced

Shallot and White Wine Sauce:
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 medium shallot, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
3/4 cup chicken stock (I use home-made, but if you use store-bought, get the low-sodium to control the salt in the dish)
1/2 cup dry white wine (something good enough to actually drink... no "cooking wine"!)
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (again, this controls the salt in the dish, but if salted is all you have, use that, and just adjust the salt)
Kosher or sea salt and ground black pepper to taste

FOR THE CHICKEN: Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 200 degrees. Season both sides of each cutlet with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until smoking; place 4 cutlets in skillet and cook without moving them until browned, about 2 minutes. Using a spatula, flip cutlets and continue to cook until second sides are opaque, 15 to 20 seconds. Transfer to large heatproof plate. Add 2 teaspoons oil to now-empty skillet and repeat to cook remaining cutlets. Cover plate loosely with foil and transfer to oven to keep warm while making sauteeing the mushrooms and making the sauce.

FOR THE MUSHROOMS: Add the mushrooms to the pan, along with more olive oil, some salt and pepper. Give them a quick stir, and cover for a couple of minutes -- just until they start to give off their liquid. Now, uncover and sautee them over medium-high heat, stirring them every so often until they are all golden. Transfer to a bowl, and make the sauce.

FOR THE SAUCE: Off heat, add more oil and shallot to hot skillet; using residual heat, cook, stirring constantly until softened, about 30 seconds, over medium-high heat. Add chicken stock and wine; bring to simmer, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits. Simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, 6 to 7 minutes. Off heat, stir in thyme and sauteed mushrooms; whisk in butter 1 tablespoon at a time. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper; serve immediately over the warm cutlets.

I usually serve this over homemade really thin egg noodles, but store-bought angel hair or linguine work very well, as do egg noodles. Just use what you like.

A big green salad, and a drop-dead dessert, and you could entertain royalty with this meal. (Just don't tell them how easy it is to make!)
Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Scones

Postby Andria » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:34 am

I love these.

Scones ala Andie

1 3/4 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
16 tablespoons heavy cream.
(optional: 1/2 cup - 1 cup dried fruit)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Mix dry ingredients together, add heavy cream a couple of tablespoons at a time until you have a nice shaggy dough. Shape into 3 inch rounds and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with heavy cream. Bake 10-15 minutes. Serve warm or cold. Plain or with jam(s) (With tea! :) )
Enjoy
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:26 pm

I've gotten raves for this chicken recipe, and others who have made it have raved, too. It's easy to do, relatively versatile, and tastes fantastic!

Lemon Parmeggiano Chicken

INGREDIENTS
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup dry vermouth
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 garlic clove, minced
8 small chicken thighs
3 tablespoons freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400° F. Whisk together the lemon juice, vermouth, mustard, butter, sage and garlic. Place the chicken thighs in a baking dish. Pour the lemon mixture over all. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, salt and pepper. Bake until done, about 45 minutes, basting occasionally with the pan juices. Serve immediately.

Notes: I've also used champagne or red wine in place of the vermouth and it's turned out well, but the vermouth is my favorite. Sometimes, instead of melting and mixing in the butter, I'll just place a little dollop of butter on the top of each thigh and let it melt down as it cooks. I usually baste every 15 minutes. When I do it for two of us, I'll make four thighs and cook them in a glass pie dish. They fit perfectly, and the close quarters help the chicken cook up more of the flavor.

I often serve it with leeks or broccoli and a wild rice blend. The leftover pan juices go nicely over the wild rice. I usually make the full amount of the sauce, even though I halve the number of thighs. I've done this recipe for two people and I've done it for 10 people and it always turns out well.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Gayle » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:25 pm

Autumn Gold Soup

*drool, drool*

I make this every year on the first day of Autumn. This year I even grew the Butternut Squash myself! (I am such a geek)

1 Med. Butternut Squash, sliced in half length wise, flat side down on greased baking sheet with 2tbs water, and baked at 450 for 45min. - 1hour until soft

In a large stock pot add:
2 tbls canola oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp dried thyme
3 dried bay leaves
Saute the onion in oil and spices until translucent

Add:
1 stalk of celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3/4 cup water
Add the carrot and celery with the water, simmer over low-med heat until carrots are soft

Add:
2 c. tomato juice
1 c. orange juice
1 c. apple juice

Scoop soft, baked squash into stock pot. Stir.

Put the entire mixture (in batches if necessary) into a food processor and blend until creamy.

:purple: Serve warm, make yummy sounds, and smile. Excellent served in cool weather while wearing a sweater and sitting on a bail of hay.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Big assed chilli beef

Postby Sherry » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:34 pm

I posted this to another thread, but am reposting it here :)

Please note I use no salt whatsoever in my cooking, unless the kidney beans are in salted water. I usually buy them unsalted. I don't miss it and this recipe tastes great without it added. Add salt if you must but its not listed as an ingredient :P

Big Assed Chilli Beef

Cooking time 2-2/12 hrs or over night in slow cooker.

Serves 6 (or a hungry 4)

2 cans kidney beans - drained and rinsed
2lb 4oz braising steak (stewing stuff)
2lb 4oz ripe tomatoes (fresh)
4 tablespoons vegetable/olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
½-1 teaspoon chilli powder (more to suit your own taste but this is a slightly sweet chilli and better not to hot IMHO)
1 rounded tablespoon paprika powder
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
2 tablespoon dark muscovado sugar
3 cloves garlic, crushed
600ml/1pint of beef stock

To garnish/serve soured cream/crème fraiche and rough chopped fresh coriander if you want.
O and rice of your choosing, or jacket spuds, or bread.

Chop toms and cook till skins come away. Remove skins as much a possible, Break tomato down into smaller pieces or mash up.

Cut meat into small cubes. Season with ground pepper.
Heat oil and fry meat (heavy based pan is best) until well browned. Drain off meat with slotted spoon and leave juices in the pan. Meat in a dish for now.
Add onions, chilli, cumin, paprika and sugar to the pan and with meat juices and heat gently for 8-10 minutes until it’s caramelises. (looks like goo)
Return meat to pan and throw in garlic and tomatoes. Add stock, bring to boil and then turn down and leave to cook on low heat. Stir every now and again. Add tinned kidney beans for last 30 minutes or so.
Meat should be really tender when cooked.
Check seasoning and add to taste if need be.

You may need to put this all in a bigger pan when it cooks for a couple of hours. I always do. In frying pan to start and then cook in deep pan or slow cooker for the rest. Can even use an oven if you wish, but it needs a good long time until the meat uis very tender.

Is better if cooked a day in advance as the flavour sinks in. Also the sugar makes it a little sweet and I tend to not go heavy with the chilli.

Enjoy :)
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Kate » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:32 pm

I have to tell you all, I made Sherry's Big Assed Chili Beef (w/ a little less sugar -- the tomatoes I bought were very sweet, and a just bit of salt), and it was out-of-this-world. I highly recommend it. I baked a potato, and filled it with this chili, and a bit of cheese and I was in heaven!

And, Sherry's right, the delicate flavor of the fresh tomatoes would be overpowered by a lot of chili powder, so go easy at first, and then adjust to your own taste. I found the amount recommended in the recipe to be perfect. I may even go and have it for lunch now...... mmmmmmmmm!

Thanks for sharing that, Sherry! I already make a very close version of Gayle's soup (and it is yummy!), so I will try some of the others and when I do, will thank each of you for your generous sharing. It's so nice to make something out-of-the-ordinary!
Last edited by Kate on Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kate

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:42 pm

Butterfinger Candy

10 oz candy corn
10 oz. peanut butter (smooth or chunky)-- (2 cups)
1 pkg. chocolate candy coating -- (10 oz) - I just used the Baker's melting chocolate that comes in a microwaveable bowl in the baking aisle.

Melt candy corn in microwave on high 1 minute. Stir and continue cooking in 15-second intervals til melted, stirring after each interval. Stir in peanut butter. Spread mixture in a buttered dish. Cool completely. Cut into squares. Dip in melted chocolate candy coating. Lay on waxed paper to set.

I found the candy corn/peanut butter mixture hard to cut evenly the first time I made this, so next time I'm going to try scoring break lines into it while it's still pliable to see if that helps any.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Gayle » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:03 pm

I already make a very close version of Gayle's soup (and it is yummy!),

Why thank you! I love that soup and it is incredibly easy to make!
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Andria » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:07 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Butterfinger Candy

Yum! Sounds great. Must go get supplies. Add that to the list of things I should be doing.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Fluffyblonde » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:11 pm

These are all such yummy recipes! I can't wait to try them! I had planned to make Sherry's chili beef over the weekend, but didn't have time, if you can imagine!

Here's a one-pot meal which is so simple, it cooks itself. I don't typically like to use a recipe unless I'm baking or making candy. When it comes to main dishes, I just wing it, but I'll give approximations here for those who are somewhat less comfortable in the kitchen. The beauty of this recipe is it can be adapted to feed two people or 10! Here goes:

Swiss Steak

1 2-4 lb Chuck (or 7 bone) roast - depending on how many you're feeding.
2-4 White or red skin New Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-2 inch chunks
1 small package Baby Carrots (or 2-4 regular carrots, peeled and cut into rounds approx. 1/2 in. thick. You'll want anywhere from 1-2 cups)
2-4 (to taste) Green Peppers, cut into chunks
2 28 oz. cans stewed tomatoes (or whole tomatoes). I avoid diced or crushed tomatoes - their flavor is a bit too light for this recipe. But if you like them, go for it.
Fresh Garlic or Garlic Powder (NOT garlic SALT), if desired.
Onion powder, if desired.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Approx 2 Tbs. Canola oil or enough to coat bottom of pan (I usually prefer olive oil, but it's smoke point is too low, and you'll need a screamin' hot pan for the first part...)
You will need a large pot with a lid - at least 6 qt. capacity. I use my Le Creuset French Oven.

Add oil to pot, and crank the heat. You want it near "smokin' hot".

Rinse meat. Blot dry with paper towels. (If there's any water, it won't sear, but will steam instead - gray and yucky!) Liberally salt and pepper. (I also make several small holes in the meat and insert cloves or partial cloves of garlic.) Sprinkle with onion and garlic powder to taste.

Place meat into skillet and do not touch it for at least 5 min. The point is to sear the meat and carmelize the surface, creating a nice crust and brown bits or "fond" on the pan. (These will enrich your sauce and add depth of flavor.) After about 5 min, flip meat and sear other side for another 5 min.

Remove meat from pan. Drail oil. Return meat to pan. Cover meat with stewed tomatoes. Reduce heat to med-low. Put lid on pot. Walk away.

Check the pan periodically to make sure it's not too hot and not too cool. You don't want meat to boil - it will toughen. An easy simmer is what you're looking for. Stir occasionally. (Every 15 min. is fine.)

After an hour, add your vegetables and adjust seasonings. (You might want another light sprinkle of salt, and garlic and onion powder. Reserve pepper till the end - it gets bitter when cooked.) Cook another hour, or longer if the veggies need it. This dish is done when the veggies are fork tender. The meat will fall apart and melt in your mouth. Heaven!

Serve with crusty bread and sharp cheddar cheese. YUMMY!
Spencer's Sister
Fluffyblonde
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Sherry » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:13 pm

Kate wrote:I have to tell you all, I made Sherry's Big Assed Chili Beef (w/ a little less sugar -- the tomatoes I bought were very sweet, and a just bit of salt), and it was out-of-this-world. I highly recommend it. I baked a potato, and filled it with this chili, and a bit of cheese and I was in heaven!

And, Sherry's right, the delicate flavor of the fresh tomatoes would be overpowered by a lot of chili powder, so go easy at first, and then adjust to your own taste. I found the amount recommended in the recipe to be perfect. I may even go and have it for lunch now...... mmmmmmmmm!

Thanks for sharing that, Sherry! I already make a very close version of Gayle's soup (and it is yummy!), so I will try some of the others and when I do, will thank each of you for your generous sharing. It's so nice to make something out-of-the-ordinary!

Oooo am glad it turned out ok and you liked it :) I was worried how it might turn out for others, even though its a simple recipe. I make it just *so* every time. And its great as a soup of sorts with just fresh bread. Thats my lunchtime style :P Am going to try one of the ones from here sometime soon, when I actually get to the store and buy some ingredients.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Kate » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:29 pm

Sherry wrote:Oooo am glad it turned out ok and you liked it :) I was worried how it might turn out for others, even though its a simple recipe. I make it just *so* every time. And its great as a soup of sorts with just fresh bread. Thats my lunchtime style :P Am going to try one of the ones from here sometime soon, when I actually get to the store and buy some ingredients.

That's exactly how I had it for lunch! -- with just a slice of fresh bread. It is so good. And, very different from the normal Tex-Mex chilis I am used to. The secret, I think, is in letting it simmer to the consistency of personal choice, because it was very thin at one point, but thickened up with just a 20 minute simmer without the cover on the pan.

It was mellow and luscious. I am definitely putting this one in my recipe box and making it often. Thanks again, Sherry!
Kate

Postby Fluffyblonde » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:35 pm

Here's another really delicious recipe, and it's so easy, it will cook itself. It also really simplifies your day, so you can get dinner on the table in a snap. Cook the chicken early, and leave it in the fridge till you're ready for dinner. Then all you have to do is whip up the sauce and rice, and you're ready to go.

Sweet and Sour Chicken Haystacks

For the Chicken:

1 whole chicken
1-2 carrots
1-2 stalks celery
1 small onion, peeled and cut in large chunks
1 bay leaf
8-10 peppercorns
Fresh parsley
Salt to taste
A large pot (8 qt. works well) for cooking chicken

Full pot 3/4 full with water. Bring water to boil.

Rinse chicken inside and out. Once pot is boiling, place chicken inside, along with all other ingredients. Reduce heat an simmer for anywhere from 45 min - 1 1/2 hours, depending on the size of chicken. (You should be able to put the legs off the chicken without having to use a knife. Or check with your meat thermometer for doneness - temp should be at 180.)

Remove chicken and reserve stock water for reducing and making stock, if you wish. (Strain liquid and discard all solids.) Place chicken in a bowl and refrigerate until it's cool enough to work with. Once chicken has cooled sufficiently, remove and discard all skin, bones, fat and connective "stuff" from the meat. Shred the chicken or cut into bite-sized pieces, and place back into the fridge until ready to use.

For Sauce:

1 fresh pineapple, cut into chunks (Approx 1 inch)
1/2 C. packed brown sugar
4 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 chicken broth (can use cooking liquid)
1/3 C. red wine vinegar
1/4 finely chopped green pepper (More if desire.)
2 Tbs. corn syrup
2 Tbs. soy sauce
2 tsp. grated gingerroot
1 garlic clove, minced. (More if desired.)

In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Cook and stir till thick and bubbly. (Watch the heat - you don't want to scorch the sauce, but it does need to come to a bubble so the cornstarch can come to full thickening capacity.) Simmer 2 minutes. Add pineapple chunks and heat through. Pour over chicken and rice or crunchy asian noodles.

Note: I find this sauce to be very sweet. Sometimes I omit 1/2 the sugar and/or the corn syrup. Try the recipe as it is and then decide for yourself. It's tough, because you kind of need that much sugar to counterbalance the vinegar. Up to you.
Spencer's Sister
Fluffyblonde
Half a shapely halibut

Next

Return to General