It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:16 pm

"Worst Ever" Gifts

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: "Worst Ever" Gifts

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:49 am

Em, Eeewwwwww! How icky! I'm sure your aunt meant well, giving you something that was your great-grandmother's, but Eeewwwwww! :shock:

DangerMouse, :roll2: Evil step-grandma comes through. I mean, deodorant?? For elementary schoolers??? :doh:

MM, sorry about the pjs. :(
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Red » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:51 am

As a wedding gift we received a crystal pineapple. It serves no purpose. What are you suppose to do with it? Ben fell in love with it since its completely ridiculous and a waste of money and the lady that gave it to us obviously put no thought into whether we would like it, so its been predominantly displayed in our house ever since. Its usually on the mantle and we both laugh a little every time we see it. It may have been the worse wedding gift we received but it will stay with us til the end. :lol:
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:49 am

Hmmm - a wicked heavy paperweight?? :roll:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby songbird » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:54 am

Red wrote:As a wedding gift we received a crystal pineapple. It serves no purpose.

:roll2: :roll2:

I just laughed so hard reading those first two sentences! :lol:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Peaches » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:02 am

songbird wrote:Me reading this whole thread ----> :roll2: :roll2:

Hmm, I can't really think of any truly horrible presents I've ever gotten...I've been pretty lucky. I'll have to think about this one.

Seconded! :lol:
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches

Postby Emafer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:37 am

Nancy wrote:Em, Eeewwwwww! How icky! I'm sure your aunt meant well, giving you something that was your great-grandmother's, but Eeewwwwww! :shock:

I know. Honestly, I know that her hearts was in the right place and she spent a lot of money having it made. She repurposed something that was extravagant that we would never use. But baby seal fur... it's just so horrific. I think I could have handled the fox or mink because at least they were raised for it and killed quickly and humanely. As opposed to baby seals enjoying their life in the wild and then all of a sudden they get smaked over the head.

OK, another classic! I don't know how to even start this but one year my dad gave my brother a dead rat for Christmas. No joke. It's didn't start out as a living rat who sadly died while in our posession either. My dad FOUND a dead rat under a house and thought my brother would think it was cool. My brother was about 8 years old. My dad wrapped it up all special and was so excited to give it too him. He though my brother would just totally dig it. We all knew about it and were in on it and thought that my brother might like it. The rat was kind of perfectly dried and "mummified" was the term my dad used. So it was kind of an interesting anomaly. He made my brother open it last and he was all pumped up and couldn't WAIT to know what it was. Then he opened up the box and was totally horrified. The disgusted look on his face, he was SOOO mad. He was peed that my dad got him alllll hyped up and then gave him a dead rat.

(It was my dad's sister who gave me the teddy bear so maybe we're seeing some kind of genetic gift giving mutation hahahahaha)
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby thestray » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:20 am

Ho Ly Shhhhhiiii...nannigans! I had to cover my mouth so I wouldn't laugh too loud because my dad is visiting and asleep on the couch. That's one of the weirdest funniest things I've ever read. I could imagine that on a tv show. A DEAD RAT! HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's too good. Comedy.
thestray
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Peaches » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:00 am

A DEAD RAT! Good Lord! Urm, yeah I'd be pretty offended to get that as a gift!
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:46 pm

This should be a TV show. :roll2:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby LauraK » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:31 pm

Dead rat trumps meat tray plaque, lol! Awful!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:16 am

You guys are absolutely KILLING me with these gifts!!! :roll2: The dead rat is too much. I could totally understand giving an 8-year-old a mummified animal as an object of scientific interest, but I think the hype was a bit much!

Honestly can't think of a single gift that would make it on this list. My sister, however, did get a horribly cheesy engagement gift. Some kind of fake black laquer siamese cat 'statue' with matching column base. Sooo cheesy, hubby and I had a hard time not cracking up when they unwrapped it. The column base was in use for a long time as a phone stand. But I don't think I ever say that cat again.

I know, no competition (not that this is a competition!).
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby Emafer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:34 am

thestray wrote:Ho Ly Shhhhhiiii...nannigans!

How did you know that word rhymes with my last name :D

Nancy- My whole Life should be a TV show. While staying with my parents over the summer my mom said, "I hope that you're writing all of this down so that you can write a book". But it would be a FAR better TV show. My dad would be the main character. I think that I've posted before some of the things he does and says. I love him to death but he's a total looney tune.
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby jillbean » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:46 am

Emafer wrote:OK, another classic! I don't know how to even start this but one year my dad gave my brother a dead rat for Christmas. No joke. It's didn't start out as a living rat who sadly died while in our posession either. My dad FOUND a dead rat under a house and thought my brother would think it was cool. My brother was about 8 years old. My dad wrapped it up all special and was so excited to give it too him. He though my brother would just totally dig it. We all knew about it and were in on it and thought that my brother might like it. The rat was kind of perfectly dried and "mummified" was the term my dad used. So it was kind of an interesting anomaly. He made my brother open it last and he was all pumped up and couldn't WAIT to know what it was. Then he opened up the box and was totally horrified. The disgusted look on his face, he was SOOO mad. He was peed that my dad got him alllll hyped up and then gave him a dead rat.

:roll2: :rolls: :roll2: :rolls:

Oh man, that made me laugh out loud. I needed that after the stupid of today-my thanks to you and your dad Emafer!
jillbean
Consistently Mediocre

Postby jillbean » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:51 am

Red wrote:As a wedding gift we received a crystal pineapple. It serves no purpose. What are you suppose to do with it? Ben fell in love with it since its completely ridiculous and a waste of money and the lady that gave it to us obviously put no thought into whether we would like it, so its been predominantly displayed in our house ever since. Its usually on the mantle and we both laugh a little every time we see it. It may have been the worse wedding gift we received but it will stay with us til the end. :lol:

This is ringing a bell of sorts for me; a friend that went to school in South Carolina said that you see pineapples in decor there because they are supposed to represent good luck and/or wealth. And then I another person said something along the same lines but related to Chinese culture and feng shui.

Shoot, I will need to write her and ask!

Maybe it is not as random a gift as initially thought? Maybe? :|
jillbean
Consistently Mediocre

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:00 am

Pineapples in Colonial American meant hospitality and largesse, IIRC.
That's why a lot of people still use them in decor here.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

PreviousNext

Return to General