It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Concerts

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, Venus

Re: Concerts

Postby Panda..ness » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:13 am

i was gonna do my list before but then forgot so..
the first band i went to see that i can remember (apparently i went to a rush concert when i was in my mums tummy :D ) is franz ferdinand, i saw them nearly 5 years ago now & it was so good, but cos i was little i couldnt see much haha! & editors supported them who i love too.
ive seen quite a lot of big bands, but all of them ive seen while ive been there for something else, like festivals or awards ceremonies! people like; The cure, gary numan, david byrne, devo (freakiest band ever, they scared me a little) red hot chilli peppers (from afar, they were tiny) the charlatans, arcade fire, panic at the disco..and im sure more.
the band ive seen the most is robots in disguise. 10 times live, & even more times when they've djed, ive got an obsession of going to see them mainly because my friends always go, & they are lovely ladies who are always nice to chat to.
& i havnt really been to many more gigs, i think its due to not having money, but i have seen a couple of bands i love like the kills & iamx, & i hope to see them again one day!

oh & scariest, har mar superstar stripping at boosh fest, my god, all of us were just trying not to look at him.

this is a rant, im sorry haha.

Why did i get double stuffed?
Panda..ness
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Peaches » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:11 am

I'm seeing PIXIES IN LESS THAN 3 WEEKS!!

WOOOOOOO FREAKIN HOOOOOOO!!!
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:47 am

So last night I finally saw The Flaming Lips! I won't bore you with a song by song recount but I'll share a few details for any Lips fans that want them.

I've been a big fan for many years and still remember seeing the video for She Don't Use Jelly on MTV for the first time and absolutely falling in love with the song and the funny lead singer with orange hair. I was 13 years old. Eighteen years later I finally saw them perform that song live for the first time and it was magical!

My hubby, 6 friends and I were in the balcony front and center. We had the perfect view. Of course there were explosions of light and confetti and balloons, naked ladies dancing on screen, people in funny costumes dancing on the sides of the stage - all the normal stuff. :lol: Wayne was brilliant! He has to be one of the most sincere, love-filled people on Earth and they all love playing live so the band had a lot of fun.

Wyane played an acoustic version of Yoshi all by himself and it was beautiful. He said that he'd never played the acoustic guitar on stage without any accompaniment before and he was nervous about it. We all promised only to cheer if he messed up and he made it through like a champ. They closed out the show with my favorite song, Do You Realize, and i may have cried just a bit but it was just so lovely I couldn't help it.

It was a truly happy night for me and I probably grinned like a fool through the whole show. I decided not to take my camera because I didn't want to be distracted with taking pictures. I just wanted to be lost in the spectacle. But I still snapped a couple of shots with my phone. They're not great but you'll get the idea.

These are all from the first few minutes of the show.

And the calm after the storm.

After the show we went out the side entrance and as I'm walking down the stairs, I look over and guess who's next me? Britt Daniel the lead singer of Spoon! I got a little smile and nod and then the girls behind me noticed him and started screaming "Spoon! We love Spoon!" Poor guy. I stepped in behind him so I'd be between him and the screamers giving him time to round the corner and get away. But he's a sweetie and turned around and gave us all a wave and "Take care" before running off.
Red

Postby funny schipperke » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Yay, Red! I'm so glad you finally got to see them live! I :heart: Wayne so much, and the Lips are definitely one of those bands you have to see live at least once in your life because they put on such an amazing show. :yay:
Image Image
funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby seasick_sarah » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:59 am

Oh man, I should be studying something neurophysiology-related right now but I can't help myself....I'll rush my answers :D

First concert: Bob Dylan, 17/08/07. Went with my mum because I wasn't allowed to go on my own (and none of my friends would be seen dead at a Dylan gig...) and she fell asleep and snored through most of it. Oh gosh.

Best concerts:
- OK Go the other week. I'd barely heard of them but my boyfriend's really into them and I bought him the tickets as a surprise...and ended up enjoying it more than he did, I think! Damian Kulash is certainly a character, not to mention incredibly sexy (boyfriend did NOT like my squealing and such :worry: ) They have such amazing live shows, with glitter, confetti, fluffy guitars, LED jackets, handbells... :rolleyes: This was also the first time I'd ever been to a concert with someone else (excluding Mother) because no-one likes the same music as me!
- Sarah Blasko last October. I LOVE HER. I don't think she's very famous overseas but, seriously, everyone, YouTube her or something if you don't know her. Her live shows are always very theatrical as well, and she's just gorgeous. She did all the songs from her latest album wearing this strange costume that looked like a cross between Bowie's Ashes to Ashes clown thing and one of those little multicoloured plastic windmills you put in the garden. She also has a very idiosyncratic style of dance that you just have to see; it's very cute. :)

Worst concert/disappointment: Probably the Dylan one... Let's face it, his voice was never great and now it's just...um....[avoids finishing sentence.] I was seated two rows from the back in a HUGE arena and Dylan doesn't have a big screen behind him at his shows. Plus my mum falling asleep and me being too embarrassed to really focus on the music....

This Saturday I'm seeing the Dead Weather, which I've been waiting for since they first formed; sadly going to that all on my lonesome... :cry: Then in May I'm going to a festival in the country where I'll be seeing Vampire Weekend (really into them ever since my boyfriend got their new album and played it non-stop in the car until I was forced to like them :lol: ) amongst others. Very excited!
seasick_sarah
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Red » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:50 am

Oooh the Dead Weather is so good! You're going to have a blast, Sarah! I'll be seeing them again in April and I can't wait.
Red

Postby Peaches » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 am

Wow Red, Flaming Lips looked awesome :D
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches

Postby vmh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:07 am

seasick_sarah wrote:Worst concert/disappointment: Probably the Dylan one... Let's face it, his voice was never great and now it's just...um....[avoids finishing sentence.] I was seated two rows from the back in a HUGE arena and Dylan doesn't have a big screen behind him at his shows. Plus my mum falling asleep and me being too embarrassed to really focus on the music....

Wow, really??? I would LOVE to see Bob Dylan. How about we go back in time and trade places and in exchange, I'll let you have my experience seeing The White Stripes at Coachella in 2003. When did you go? That's too bad about the venue.

And, Red, I loved reading about your Flaming Lips experience! Nice pics! That's awesome that you got to exchange hellos with Britt Daniel and you tried to protect him too. :lol:
Last edited by vmh on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Red! :shock: Those pics are NUTS! :supz: As a fairly new Lips fan with tickets to an April show, I see now that I'm not in for an average concert experience. :lol:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Red » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:45 pm

No, Nonch, you are not. Be prepared for tons of audience members in costumes. We had several Santa Clauses and a unicorn for example. Also you will find confetti in the strangest places for a few days. And it's a good thing you're not easily offended because the band will enter the stage in a very, um let's say, interesting way, and Wayne has a potty mouth that is somehow very endearing.

It is not your average concert. As a matter of fact I got a t-shirt that says "I experienced a Flaming Lips concert and I'm a better human being because of it." :lol:
Red

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:07 am

Oh, you are teasing me. Don't stop. :lol: Did they play anything from The Dark Side of the Moon? Were you in the balcony on purpose? Above the chaos? My tickets are general admission. Now I don't know what to wear, how does one top Santa or a unicorn. :hrm:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Red » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:53 am

Not teasing at all. :hrmpf: That's all 100% true. You'll see!

No nothing from Dark Side. We were in the balcony because we couldn't get there until just before the first band went on and that's the best we could do. A lot of Lips fans (ie unicorn girl) are hardcore and will line up hours before doors open to get down front. It was a perfect view of all the craziness and the band though so I was happy with it. Those Lips fans not in costume are a casual lot so I wore jeans, a cute top and comfy shoes. You'll be standing/dancing a lot. :D

During the opening band watch the sides of the stage if you can. Wayne likes to cheer on the openers. He was dancing and waving streamers during their set. Adorable! :heart:
Red

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:18 am

I didn't mean to sound like I doubted you. I don't. It is the Lips after all. :lol: I was only referring to the fact that you gave me just enough vague information to drive me wild with anticipation. :o I wonder if he'll do the solo acoustic Yoshimi at all the concerts? Oh I hope so. :pray:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby SuzyBatt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:05 pm

I feel like such a dork for not knowing a thing about the Flaming Lips. :doomed: Am very intrigued now though...

LCD Soundsystem is coming and I REALLY want to go. But it's general admission, not cheap, and on a work night. Anyone here seen them, and can convince me that I really should go? Or rather, anyone want to convince me it's not worth it?

Of course, knowing me I'll take so long to make a decision it'll be sold out by the time I make up my mind. :roll:
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:23 am

Well, I got the tix for LCD Soundsystem. I may report back on it, although since the show will be the same date as FotC in Stockholm I doubt there'll much interest 'round these parts. :?
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

PreviousNext

Return to General