It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:11 am

Topical Linguistics - All aspects of Language!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: Topical Linguistics - All aspects of Language!

Postby Peaches » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:45 am

Okay, moron here...what is Catalan?
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Amanda » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:46 am

Red wrote:I'm guilty of the it's/its mix up. I can never remember which is correct so I just always leave the apostrophe out. :oops:

How to use an apostrophe :wink:

Basically it is IT'S if you can say IT IS.. and it is ITS if you could also say MY refering to yourself instead of the thing.

it's awful= it is awful
its awful= :hrm: its awful what? its awful..screws are too big? ..or my awful mother in law is a snarky beotch?

Hope it helps :D
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...
Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:55 am

Peaches wrote:Okay, moron here...what is Catalan?

it's my first language :lol: A Romance language spoken by approximately 10milion people..in my neck of the woods. it's official in Andorra and co-official in the eastern regions of Spain, southern regions of France and a small island west of Italy.

But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...
Amanda

Postby Peaches » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 am

Ooer, sounds fancy! Wish I could learn another language.

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches

Postby biscuit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:39 am

:lol: I love the Spanish girl explaining English grammar to the native speaker :lol: Godd on ya, Amanda :D

SuzyBatt: Three languages is impressive! (I speak German, but not nearly well enough to call myself trilingual :worry: )

I consider myself bilingual now (English and Norwegian) but I didn't learn English before I was about 10, which is quite late. Fortunately I picked it up really fast and loved using it even outside the few classes at school. Now I prefer English in many situations; reading books in the original language is a given, and I also found it easier to write my M.A. thesis in English. (The thing I get mixed up between the languages is the use of punctuation :roll: ... In Norwegian you always put a comma before but, which is not always the case in English, but I do it anyway :lol: )

I started toying with the idea of speaking English full time many years ago to teach my children the language from birth (while my husband would speak Norwegian to them). This was before I even had kids. I soon found out that it did not come natural to speak in a foreign language to my baby, so I kept it native. I would read English books to them from birth though, so they would get used to the sound of the language. After they started English nursery I would speak to them in English from time to time. -

Now though, like you can see from the original post, they are attending Norwegian school, and if they don't keep using English the same thing will happen as with Suz and her French. So I'm giving the full time English another go. Luckily the kids are not complaining about it or finding it weird. :lol: But let me tell you (again) it is tough speaking a foreign language 24-7. I keep slipping, but it'll get better:) And when they go to bed, or when I'm alone with my husband I speak Norwegian and it is sooo relaxing. :lol:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby Val2150 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:47 pm

DUDES. I love this topic! I'm a total language nerd. Spanish was my second major in college and many moons ago I was able to speak it fairly well. I can still read and write it well, but when it comes to holding an actual conversation...hoo boy. I have some refreshing to do. I'm itching to start learning French or something too.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby biscuit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:10 pm

I should totally refresh my mediocre German, and my awful French :roll: !

But is much more fun to learn completely new languages :whistle: I started learning Welsh before Xmas but then, with the move and everything I had to take a break, and now I don't rmemeber much. I found a wonderful course online though, so I know where to go to get back on the horse :D
biscuit

Postby biscuit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:29 pm

*double post*
Last edited by biscuit on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biscuit

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:30 pm

Red wrote:I'm guilty of the it's/its mix up. I can never remember which is correct so I just always leave the apostrophe out. :oops:
I still vividly remember learning the apostrophe stuff in school so that's never been an issue for me.

The effect and affect thing is something I know I will never get right.

Alot is a word to me. The only reason I know it's not is because it is currently underlined in red on my screen. :lol: When J wrote back to me once I noticed right away that he spelled it as 2 words coz he's obviously better at grammar than I am. :P
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Still trying to find time to learn languages, but am totally knackered all the time at the moment! :D

Really hope arrival on new colleague eases strain. :partyman:
It's a psychological analogy
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby vmh » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:22 pm

Does anyone own a copy of The Elements of Style? It's a good resource to have, even if you think your grammar is fine. The first few pages cover how to use apostrophes appropriately.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby eejm » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:45 pm

I had about seven years of Spanish in school, so I should be waaaaay more fluent than I am. I can read it somewhat (I was able to help my husband on some of his work when he went to Mexico recently on business) and depending on how slowly the conversation goes, I can sometimes follow along. But I'm pretty worthless asking someone something, or being an actual participant in a conversation. I have a feeling if I lived in a Spanish-speaking country, I could probably pick it up fairly quickly.

I've always wanted to teach myself German, but I'm not quite sure how to go about starting...
eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby funny schipperke » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:20 pm

My first language was technically Spanish, because my mom doesn't speak English, but I learned English at a really young age, too. I think by the time I started kindergarden I was mostly fluent in English, but they stuck me in the Spanish speaking class anyway. I remember being the only girl in that class until I was out for about a week with chicken pox, and when I came back, there was another girl in the class! We became BFFs, of course. :lol:

I remember with my little brother, who is 12 years younger than me, we spoke to him in Spanish at first. Then my parents told my older brother and I to speak to him in English so that he would learn that. So we started speaking to him only in English and that's how he learned that. It's truly amazing how quickly little kids can pick up languages!

Anyhoo, where I grew up, mostly everyone speaks Spanish since it's so close to the TX-Mexico border so I never thought it was that big a deal. It wasn't until I moved away and met people who were so envious of my bilingualness that I began to appreciate it more. I can read and speak Spanish just fine, but as far as writing and spelling, I'm really terrible at it. It kind of makes me wish I had taken some Spanish classes in high school. I took French instead, and while I am glad that I did, I hardly remember any French at all. But it did come in handy when I lived in Italy for a semester since Italian is somewhat a mixture of Spanish and French. :P
Image Image
funny schipperke

Postby Peaches » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:51 pm

SheWolf wrote:Alot is a word to me. The only reason I know it's not is because it is currently underlined in red on my screen. :lol: When J wrote back to me once I noticed right away that he spelled it as 2 words coz he's obviously better at grammar than I am. :P

Show off :wink:

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches

Postby closet jemainiac » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Peaches wrote:
SheWolf wrote:Alot is a word to me. The only reason I know it's not is because it is currently underlined in red on my screen. :lol: When J wrote back to me once I noticed right away that he spelled it as 2 words coz he's obviously better at grammar than I am. :P

Show off :wink:

that's exactly what I was thinking :lol:
closet jemainiac
---

PreviousNext

Return to General