It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Topical Linguistics - All aspects of Language!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: Topical Linguistics - All aspects of Language!

Postby Peaches » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:14 am

Haha, I don't talk like the outback guy! I sound a bit English to most Australians (it's because South Australia is betterer....)

And I said Dr Phil cos I watch him in my lunch break...and I thought he's Texan...(I think he is...), and I know there's a lot of Texans here....y'all! :lol:
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:39 am

I would think there are as many Australian accents as there are New England accents, or Texas accents. It all depends on your region, right?

You really gave me a wakeup call about imagining members speaking in different accents. For those I haven't met or seen on videos, I'm going to be more aware of where they're from, and how they may sound.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Peaches » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:41 am

Haha, I hope I didn't scare you! :lol:
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:46 am

Not at all. It would be pretty neat to hear everyone say hello so we could put a voice to the words, wouldn't it?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Red » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:55 am

It would be awesome to hear everyone's voices, Nance. Maybe we could make a WTF says hello to WTF video someday.

Peaches wrote:Bit of a stupid question, but to the Texans of the board...what's your accent like? Is it like Dr Phil?

Good lord no! Well okay maybe a little. :lol: I've always thought of a Texas accent as just a typical Southern accent but there are different degrees of it depending on where you're from. There's the proper Old South/Gone With The Wind/Designing Women accent and the country bumpkin accent and the ignorant redneck accent. Mine's not too strong. I try to speak with as neutral an accent as possible but I'll always have a slight southern drawl and my long i's (like in white or right) always give me away. I'd say Dr. Phil fits into the country bumpkin accent and I'm slightly in the Designing Women realm. If that makes any sense. :lol:
Red

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:01 am

That description of different types of Southern accents was easy to follow, Red.
So do you sound like...Dixie Carter? :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Red » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:12 am

I'm glad it made sense to somebody, Nance. I'd say my every day city girl accent is a very mild Dixie Carter. But when I'm back home or really worked up about something and my accent's going full force, it's more Delta Burke. :lol:
Red

Postby funny schipperke » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:25 pm

I don't think I speak with any sort of accent, southern or otherwise. I mean, I guess from an Australianer's viewpoint, it would be a neutral American accent, if that makes any sense. I certainly don't sound anything like Dr. Phil! :lol:
And, Red, I've never detected an accent from you... :hrm: but it's been awhile, so maybe I just don't remember.
Image Image
funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby vmh » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:45 pm

Red wrote:It would be awesome to hear everyone's voices, Nance. Maybe we could make a WTF says hello to WTF video someday.

We should start a Hello WTF! thread and start with Jemaine and Rhys's hello (since we already have videos for that) and then move on to members and other Conchords cohorts if anyone wishes to get a video of them saying "Hi!".
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby biscuit » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:21 pm

That would be awesome :) I'd do mine in Norwegian with subs then :lol:

And I bet that as a foreigner I will hear all the accents none of you think you speak with :wink:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby SheWolf » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:59 pm

Red wrote:It would be awesome to hear everyone's voices, Nance. Maybe we could make a WTF says hello to WTF video someday.
Um, yeah but my voice sounds really whacked on video. I like to think I don't really sound like that at all.

Nancy wrote:I would think there are as many Australian accents as there are New England accents, or Texas accents. It all depends on your region, right?
I read that Australian accents are one of the most homogeneous there is, meaning there isn't a wide variety of variation based on location.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby closet jemainiac » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:02 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Nancy wrote:I would think there are as many Australian accents as there are New England accents, or Texas accents. It all depends on your region, right?
I read that Australian accents are one of the most homogeneous there is, meaning there isn't a wide variety of variation based on location.

Ive worked with 2 Australians in the past.... One had a very English-ish accent...Most people couldnt tell he was an Aussie...

The other sounded like Crocadile Dundee... :D

Dont ask me where in Australia each was from though...no idea :lol:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Red » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:13 am

funny schipperke wrote:I don't think I speak with any sort of accent, southern or otherwise. I mean, I guess from an Australianer's viewpoint, it would be a neutral American accent, if that makes any sense. I certainly don't sound anything like Dr. Phil! :lol:
And, Red, I've never detected an accent from you... :hrm: but it's been awhile, so maybe I just don't remember.

No, FS, you don't sound anything like Dr. Phil and either does Bakergirl or Faith. We all actually have pretty neutral American accents. I've just had to work to get mine that way.

As far as Australians go, I've only known a few and yes they either seem to sound very British or like Crocodile Dundee.
Red

Postby eejm » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:13 am

I worked with an Australian a few years ago. She actually sounded a lot like Keitha (just like Marilyn MUN-roe). I don't remember where in Australia she was from, but I remember she referred to her grandmother as "that cool old bat." Hee.

I'd say my accent is pretty neutral too. Average Midwesterner, not quite the rounded vowel sounds as in the northern part of the Midwest - say Minnesota or North Dakota.

I hate the way my voice sounds on tape too. It's all deep and weird.
eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:08 am

We usually don't enjoy hearing our voices on tape, because they don't sound the same to us.
I know what you all mean about cringing when you hear your voice when it's taped. :?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

PreviousNext

Return to General