It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:06 am

What is it?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

What is it?

Postby mockingbird » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:27 am

My friend bought this object at Goodwill a few weeks ago. The only thing we can definitively say about it is that it's some kind of sculpture. The pictures I have of it don't do it justice but here they are.

:hrm: Personally, I think it's supposed to be a hat. My friend thinks it's a shoe. The gold thing sticking out of the middle was actually made by pouring cement into a dixie cup and then painting the resulting shape gold. It must be important to the piece because it's the only gold thing on it. The whole thing is very deliberate, and yet very random, lol. I wish I knew who made it. I wonder why they gave it to Goodwill. As you can see by the four price tags, my friend paid $2.50 for it. We tried to talk them down but they wouldn't budge.

Even other sculptures don't understand it, lol. It's very avant garde. Any attempt at explaining it would be welcome.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: What is it?

Postby Great H » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:58 am

Looks exactly like the mess I made when I dropped my pizza and drink on the floor the other night...

What a fantastic object! Stick that on your coffee table you'll not fail to get a comment from every visitor! Fabulous!
I particularly like the four price tags, I vote they stay on as they're clearly integral to the, um, piece.
Love it! :lol:
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:18 pm

It looks to me like a cow pie, a former steaming heapie...you know, dried bovine excrement? And from the looks of it, Besty had recently eaten one of these...

Nothing good comes from touching monkeys. :tsk: (I hope you washed your hands, mockingbird)
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:38 pm

I think I cleaned that up from someone's table when I used to bus tables in the student union way back when.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mockingbird » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:13 pm

Interesting. So here's what we have so far:

A pile of food that has met some misfortune - 2

Cow poop - 1

I still think it looks like a hat.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:12 pm

I agree. I thought it was a hat when I first looked at it. Someone with wonderful photoshop skills should try it on the guys and see who looks better with it on - Bret or Jemaine? :rolls:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby deliriumtree » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Good grief! I laughed so hard reading this. That is a pile of awesome! Love the photoshop with the thinker! hehe The four price tags were totally necessary. Without those I would have wondered, is it really 2.50? Are they sure?

It has parts that look like toes, and parts that look like crushed food, then there's some sort of cat footprint, not to mention the quandary of the gold thing in the middle.... hmmm.. Looking overhead it sort of looks like an island with the gold thing as a hill, or an attempt at a volcano. There's these little things on it that could be water slides? I'm going with elvish water slide crushed food and foot theme park. Watch out for the giant six toed bob cat while you're there! They really should have picked on consistent theme for the park. You can't have both crushed food and feet as a theme! Well I guess if a foot crushed the food. Okay...on second thought that's completely permissible and the only sensible option for an elvish theme park. Display that with pride! :D
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby LauraK » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:09 am

Yes! I saw the big foot and toes and the small....hand? foot? print as well. The gold thing looks like a can with a pull-top...a Golden Beer Can of the Gods! With a boomerang resting near it.

I find myself wanting more close-up shots of this....whatever it is.

In the 3rd pic, that looks kinda like a shark/dog/beaver creature thrusting itself away from the Beer Can....and what's that squiggly design beneath the steps leading to the Great Beer Can in pic #4?

Too much going on in this piece. (I know...the word "of" and another word might be needed at the end of that sentence...)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Great H » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 am

Oh I didn't see the paw print thing before! I see toes too now! Gotta love this thing (whatever it is!) :D
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Return to General