What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC

Sherry
 Post subject: OK, this is a tiny bit cool
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:26 pm 
Professional Blonde

If, like me, you are a tiny bit geeky :lol:

Link to chart and webpage, go view it :)

Blurb below :)

How do the 288,945 most heavily trafficked sites on the internet stack up against each other? Take a very close look at this chart to find out.

While you could spend all day with a microscope trying to sort out the layers lurking behind AOL and IMDb, the preferred browsing strategy is to check out Nmap's interactive version. As for the method to the radness:

The area of each icon is proportional to the sum of the reach of all sites using that icon. When both a bare domain name and its "www." counterpart used the same icon, only one of them was counted. The smallest icons—those corresponding to sites with approximately 0.0001% reach—are scaled to 16x16 pixels. The largest icon (Google) is 11,936 x 11,936 pixels, and the whole diagram is 37,440 x 37,440.

Which is, uh, huge. As for the traffic data itself, it was culled from Alexa earlier this year.

Happy hunting! And please remember take a moment of appreciation for LiveJournal hanging tough.

Now, what has this got to do with me? Not much. But with What The Folk!, a fair bit :D

Go put whatthefolk.net into the interactive version and then get peering somewhere round the middle and you'll see what I am talking about :type:

:wtf:

Faith
 Post subject: Re: OK, this is a tiny bit cool
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:13 am 
A pastry chef and a sniper

Found it. Took me a second to see it, but then it was right there in the middle. :)