What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 988 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 66  Next
djdeathskiss
 Post subject: Seen any good movies lately?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:22 pm 
Keeping it funky

Or are there any films you're looking forward to?

In the past month or so, i've seen a few great films:

A History of Violence
Serenity
Corpse Bride
Everything is Illuminated
Elizabethtown

..and a few not-so-great ones:

Red Eye
Domino
Lords of Dogtown

I'm looking forward to seeing 'Wallace & Gromit', 'North Country', 'Harry Potter 4', 'King Kong', and 'The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe'.

Kate
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:40 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

My current must-see list:

Elizabethtown
Good Night, and Good Luck
Shopgirl

I think I will take some time this weekend to see at least one of those.

Amaria
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:45 pm 
Half a shapely halibut

Is E-town really good? Being a Orlando fan I had high expectations for it but the reviews it's been getting are quite crushing.

Fluffyblonde
 Post subject: Re: Seen any good movies lately?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:24 pm 
Half a shapely halibut

djdeathskiss wrote:

A History of Violence
Serenity
Corpse Bride
Elizabethtown

I'm looking forward to seeing 'Wallace & Gromit', 'North Country', 'Harry Potter 4', 'King Kong', and 'The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe'.

I really want to see "A History of Violence", "Corpse Bride" and "The Lion, th Witch and the Wardrobe" - I must have read that 10 times in elementary school!

(I sure wish "they" would make a movie of "The Boxcar Children" - that was my all-time fave.)

djdeathskiss
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:38 pm 
Keeping it funky

Amaria wrote:
Is E-town really good? Being a Orlando fan I had high expectations for it but the reviews it's been getting are quite crushing.

I think if you have enjoyed Cameron Crowe's other films, then you will enjoy it. I thought Orlando did a great job; he was funny and showed he can act without a bow or sword. If I were you I would ignore the critics and go see for yourself. :)

djdeathskiss
 Post subject: Re: Seen any good movies lately?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:40 pm 
Keeping it funky

Fluffyblonde wrote:
djdeathskiss wrote:

A History of Violence
Serenity
Corpse Bride
Elizabethtown

I really want to see "A History of Violence", "Corpse Bride" and "The Lion, th Witch and the Wardrobe" - I must have read that 10 times in elementary school!

(I sure wish "they" would make a movie of "The Boxcar Children" - that was my all-time fave.)

I don't know about 'The Boxcar Children' (which I also loved), but I did just read today that Ridley Scott is interested in making a film version of 'Encyclopedia Brown'.(!)

Sherry
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:24 pm 
Professional Blonde

I've lapsed badly of late.

I tend to go through phases of film watching. I either like to go see films on my own, during the day, or with my bloke. who is not here full time so makes it a bit tricky timing wise if a good film comes out.

My most recent ventures were Willy Wonka, which had me laughing throughout. Weeping in places. Depp was inspired. And I have been a Burton fan for many a year.

And Dukes of Hazzard. Yes I know, but it was fun. And I took kids aged 11 and 9 with me, so I got no strange stares :P I still prefer the TV series of my childhood. Was such a cool show. It influenced my entire fashion sense in adulthood also. I so wanted to look as cool as the person wearing that outfit believe it or not. Daisy Duke hotpants I hear you say? Pffffft! Not for me those super skimpy ass bearing things. O no, I aspired to greater things and wanted a pair of Uncle Jesse dungarees! And I only recently, about 3 months ago gave up my last pair. I had not worn them in ages, so dragged them out for a tour and the kids laughed at me wearing them. And my bloke :shock: So I finally parted with the last pair. Adieu mai dungarees :tears:

MadMax
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:36 pm 
Top Bloke

I just recently watched Firefly for the first time - and so I'm going to go see Serenity as soon as I've finished my last assignment (so perhaps next Thursday) :D

I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a few weeks ago with my little brother and thought it was great. I loved the way we were introduced to Willy Wonka... Depp was great :)

I don't really have time to see too much else though.

Kate
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:46 pm 

I saw Good Night, and Good Luck on Friday night, and it was superb. I was fascinated to find out that George Clooney directed it. I've always thought of him as a sort of gorgeous man/mediocre actor. But, this was a very good movie. Cudos to him for directing. The actors were all really, really good, too, and not the usual "Hollywood" casting you would expect. Anyway, really good movie.

I thought Willy Wonka was wonderful, but I also love Tim Burton's pics, and think Johnny Depp is one of the most underrated actors there is. He really gets inside a character. And, in this movie, he certainly did that again. (I never even would have seen Pirates of the Carribean if he had not been in it, and frankly, he absolutely made that movie as enjoyable as it was!)

Next up: Elizabethtown and Shop Girl. A lot of really good actors are in E-town, and Steve Martin's book from which the movie, Shopgirl, was taken was a fun read, so I am expecting both to be really good.

MadMax
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:56 pm 
Top Bloke

Underrated by who though? :)

I rate him easily as one of the best actors we have going right now.

Kate
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:03 pm 

MadMax wrote:
Underrated by who though? :)

I rate him easily as one of the best actors we have going right now.

The critics, the studios, and the media -- who always try to make him appear "strange" because he won't cooperate with their brand of "smile pretty for the paparazzi" mentality... that sort of thing. I think he's become far more respected in the last few years, thank goodness. Aside from all his woderful work with Burton, I really loved his performance in Chocolat. Did you see/like that movie? It was magical.

MadMax
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:14 pm 
Top Bloke

Chocolat was great. :)

That's another example of how stupid studios, critics and the media actually are. At least we (those of discerning taste) know how good he is, and while there are others (ie Tim Burton) who will keep giving him great parts to play (also Pirates of the Caribbean), at least he has the opportunity to "do his thing", which means we all get to see more of him. :)

Andria
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:36 pm 
Bootylicious Flygirl

Kate wrote:
Aside from all his woderful work with Burton, I really loved his performance in Chocolat. Did you see/like that movie? It was magical.

I loved Chocolat. It was just superb. Quite different from the book, however. I have to say I preferred the movie. :wink: One of the few instances. I also really liked the music in Chocolat.
And, really, how could you not love a movie with chocolate in the title? Hmm? :rolls:

specialkay
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:52 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

i guess in the spirit of the 'dark holiday' I have seen "The History of Violence" and Sat night I went to see my other Kiwi obsession, Karl Urban in "DOOM". They were both good movies, however, as you know, Doom was the one with the least depth. :lol:
Could't help that, I was there strictly to support my man Karl! :whistle:
Through all the demon monsters, blood and gore...the gamers in the audience were humerous to watch also! :lol: People watching at the movies are ALOT of fun! I had a woman on one side that I swear every few minutes yelled out', "Oh, Jesus!@#^" What is that"? and on the other side was a man alone who appeared to have an occasional seizure also... :roll:
My next venture is Elizabethtown...with GIRLFRIENDS! :P

/me
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:56 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

I have to say Kay, every time I see the trailer for Doom, I see Karl and think...yum. So, did he have his accent or not? It is a great peeve of mine when fine foreign actors are forced to drop their (dead sexy) accents in order to get roles in the states. If Hollywood could get their collective heads out of their collective ars--I mean, do they not know how sexy we ladies find those accents? Black Hawk Down being a particular peeve of mine. An entire cast of sexy Brits playing American soldiers? What a waste! And I won't even get into those clumsy all-covering uniforms, headgear, weaponry...To hell with historical accuracy, when you have Ewan McGregor, Jason Issacs, Eric Bana, Orland Bloom, Ioan Gruffudd, etc., etc. all in one film, the basic uniform better consist of little more than a pair of dog tags and shiny boots, hmmm and maybe some strategically placed camo here and there. (Who says I don't have taste?)

*cough* Actually, all this post was suppose to say is that I am really looking forward to seeing Capote and that I just read about, "The Meat Trade" with Colin Firth and Robert Carlyle, about 19th Century Scottish serial killers Burke and Hare...with screenplay by Irvine Welsh. That movie ALMOST has everything I need in it to be completely happy, albeit in a guilty pleasure sort of way.

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 988 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 66  Next