Other Band Obsessions?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Emafer

Re: Other Band Obsessions?

Postby Emafer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:10 am

I'll admit it, for years I was obsessed with The Black Crowes. I still am a bit. I've belonged to a Black Crowes online community for like 10 years and I have met some of my closest friends through the Crowes community.

Oh and I'm by far, far gone completely on Led Zeppelin. In an unhealthy way I truly admit. I once dated a guy beccause I thought he looked like Robert Plant.

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:20 am

Nice choices there Luna! :thumb: Some of my fave bands/musicians: Coldplay, Keane, Josh Groban, James Blunt, Paul Simon, and Robbie Williams.
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:58 am

My favourite bands and/or musicians include Diana Krall, Moxy Früvous, Josh Woodward, and The Melismatics.

Diana Krall...her voice is so hypnotically beautiful.

Moxy Früvous can't really be described, and the band broke up eight years ago, but they allowed their concerts to be taped, and there's a swell archive for some of those shows--the banter is hysterical!

Josh Woodward's music is really eclectic, lyrical folk-rock, and you can download it all from his website for free. :thumb:

The Melismatics are fun, catchy indie pop-rock.
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:06 am

Oh God, look at this old thread!! Kinda fits my situation right now. Ever since I saw that movie Largo(a performance/documentary that FOTC also happens to be in), I've been totally obsessed with Andrew Bird. After the movie, we spoke with the director and I even commented on him then. After watching just about every Youtube video I could find on him, I broke down and bought one of his albums. It's been downhill ever since. Come on, how can you not love a man who plays violin, guitar, glockenspiel, whistles and sings. In the same song. :whistle: Damn. Then his drummer plays drums while he's playing keyboards. See for yourself- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p_z3dsUoZU
:nails: **wonders to self if there is a 12 step program for this**

I've tried to listen to other things but can't manage more than a song or two. I will keep listening to one song- over and over again- proclaim it my favorite. (Current song is "The Naming of Things") Then another song comes on and it starts all over again! :help:

His new album comes out on the 20th(if anyone is interested- the new one is streaming on NPR now!) and he's playing Austin in February. I think this is going to be a very, very long month..... :shock:

:teeth: I've tried to keep this to myself but this tread came up and made me talk about it.... :doomed:

ps-Indy- he just announced a show in Paris for April. Hopefully he will make it near you again!
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:10 am

I've never actually seen Andrew Bird live, but I wouldn't mind going to one of his shows. If he's playing Paris, there's a good chance he'll at least do an Amsterdam show, so I'll have to keep an eye out.

That reminded me ... have you seen this concert of his that was filmed in Amsterdam in 2007?
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:06 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I've never actually seen Andrew Bird live, but I wouldn't mind going to one of his shows. If he's playing Paris, there's a good chance he'll at least do an Amsterdam show, so I'll have to keep an eye out.

That reminded me ... have you seen this concert of his that was filmed in Amsterdam in 2007?

:shock: OMG No, I haven't. Thanks for hooking me up there, Indy.

I've read that seeing him live is a completely different experience than his albums. I can't wait. I just don't know what to expect since he's playing solo here in Austin. I kind want to see him with his bad but this sounds like a rare thing being solo. :seesaw: So conflicted!!

There is a small hope yet. He is playing Houston and Dallas on the same weekend as SXSW, with 3 days off before hand. Which means, it could :pray: be possible for him to come back and play with the band. :sign_help:

Luna
New arrival

Postby Luna » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:23 am

LSully9 wrote:Nice choices there Luna! :thumb: Some of my fave bands/musicians: Coldplay, Keane, Josh Groban, James Blunt, Paul Simon, and Robbie Williams.

Thanks LSully9!!!

I like coldplay too.

especially their song clocks

I'm addicted to it. :halo:
"We no longer say yes... we say.. AFFIRMATIVE..."

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:40 am

indigo_jones wrote:I've never actually seen Andrew Bird live, but I wouldn't mind going to one of his shows. If he's playing Paris, there's a good chance he'll at least do an Amsterdam show, so I'll have to keep an eye out.

Indy- did you know there was 2 shows on that link? One from 2005, too. It's brilliant to see how his style is developing over the years. I just watched the '05 show and can really hear the changes he's made with his voice. It's much stronger.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! I am in your debt!!
:whitey: :whitey: :whitey: :whitey: :whitey:

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:22 am

I have a couple I'm obsessed with, though I don't think any of the obsessions rival that of FOTC: :D

Barenaked Ladies: anyone not from Canada or upstate NY usually looks at me like I'm nuts when I tell them the band name, but I just love 'em. I can't believe they've been around for 20 years now - I remember hearing them in high school and thinking they were the best thing ever. They incorporate a lot of humor into the music and it can range from totally silly to really pretty and heartfelt, which I really like. My favorite songs are probably Told You So, When I Fall and their cover of Lovers in a Dangerous Time. :D

Otherwise, I'm pretty into Dave Matthews Band, John Butler Trio and Blues Traveler. Oh, and Coldplay, The Police, U2, The White Stripes, the Goo Goo Dolls, Keane and Beck. :D
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:52 am

Val2150 wrote:Barenaked Ladies: anyone not from Canada or upstate NY usually looks at me like I'm nuts when I tell them the band name, but I just love 'em. I can't believe they've been around for 20 years now - I remember hearing them in high school and thinking they were the best thing ever. They incorporate a lot of humor into the music and it can range from totally silly to really pretty and heartfelt, which I really like. My favorite songs are probably Told You So, When I Fall and their cover of Lovers in a Dangerous Time. :D
"And if I had a million dollars...I'd buy you a green dress (not a real one though, that's cruel)." I've never really listened to their albums, but I do like their musical stylings. And they wrote the theme song for "The Big Bang Theory". That's definitely a good sign.
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:57 am

Their live CD, Rock Spectacle is one of my faves.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:11 pm

"And if I had a million dollars...I'd buy you a green dress (not a real one though, that's cruel)."

I love them if for no other reason than that song and that line. It has always made me laugh. I've got that album, but have never gotten around to getting any of their others for some reason, although I always like what I hear.

tvl, I'm glad you noticed the second concert link there. I meant to point it out when I posted. That site is great in general for all sorts of concerts. I watch the Elbow one quite often, as these days they're one of my musical obsessions that isn't NZ-related. According to last.fm, my other non-NZ music interests this year have been:
Beirut (as well as using the ukulele extensively, he just does a great job with incorporating an interesting mix of musical styles with some Eastern European influences)
Spinvis (quirky Dutch musician)
Tom Waits (He's one of my longest-standing faves. I do love all of his stuff, but ultimately, I prefer his older stuff, up through Bone Machine.)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Obsession may be too strong of a word but there is definitely some adoration for them. :lol:

I've become a fan of a UK band called Pete and the Pirates. They don't dress in pirate gear but there are 2 members in the band named Pete :wink: . I'd heard of them a couple of years ago and liked one of their songs but for whatever reason, I just didn't seek out more of their music.

Several weeks ago, on a local radio's station blog, a DJ had posted a link for a new song of theirs titled "Jennifer" (which is my name). I think that it was released as a single but I also recommend their 2008 album titled "Little Death"

Comparing them to other bands, I would describe their sound as being somewhere between Franz Ferdinand and The Cribs. Sometimes polished, but a little rough and scrappy around the edges.

http://www.peteandthepirates.co.uk
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:41 pm

I may get a little flack for this but........ Kid Rock.

I think he :supz:
I mean:

Amen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrJPnoBz ... re=related

Roll On
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T211rf5aZnQ

Only God Knows Why
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zykTpmCI ... re=related

You Never Met a Mother ****** Quite Like Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLdkz6HY ... re=related

I own every CD and have seen him live twice. He could be one of the best live performers of his generation.

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:47 am

Hey, we like what we like.....can't expect to all like the same bands.

As for Kid Rock, I'll keep my mouth shut :P :lol: .
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

Return to “Off topic rambles”