FOTC live at The McKittrick Hotel, NYC August 17-19 2013

Conchords gig listings, booking info, news, reviews and discussion
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: FOTC live at The McKittrick Hotel, NYC August 17-19 2013

Postby Deirdre » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:00 pm

I just found out it's 120 seats. Do you think that's bigger than Comix?

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:07 pm

I keep checking back. You know I think I saw the pull-down box at first :roll: but since it said sold out I didn't try it. :doh:

I will keep trying at least for a while. But if I'm going to get a plane ticket I have to know something really soon.

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Cuse » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:17 pm

Where did you hear 120? Not sure, since it's now closed, but I think Comix was bigger. Maybe even twice that.

Were you there? I was. :D

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:29 pm

I was! I was in the front on the right side, right in front of Jemaine. Very distracting. :wink:

I found out by calling the number at the bottom of the screen:

"If you need assistance placing your order, call OvationTix customer service toll-free: 866-811-4111."

And that person looked it up for me. Guess you can't swear everyone to silence. :whistle:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Woah a capacity of 120 is tiny, especially compared to the venues FOTC can sell out these days. Congrats on snapping up tickets, Cuse. Just goes to show that you have to keep checking back to see when they release more tickets. I really hope you're able to buy tickets very soon, Deirdre. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:40 pm

I keep checking. It's funny because I flew out to NY just to see the guys back when they played at Comix and I brought my cousins with me and introduced them to the guys. Hence... the line from Mel after she shows the picture of Jemaine's lips to Bret, "And these are my cousins."

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:56 am

On the website where you purchase tickets the venue is listed as The Heath. This news article claims that the venue seats 200 guests. The ultimate FOTC experience, eh?

By MARSHALL HEYMAN

This week, the seemingly ever-expanding McKittrick Hotel, the West Chelsea home of Punchdrunk's "Sleep No More," expanded even more.

Beyond the roving theatrical experience—an innovative and immersive retelling of "Macbeth"—guests could enjoy an outdoor, rooftop paradise called Gallow Green as well as the Manderley Bar, both of which host the occasional musical performance.

Now, a floor below Gallow Green there is the Heath, a music, drink and dining venue. Currently in residence is the Grammy-winning Preservation Hall Jazz Band, while on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, the nightspot will present its own band, the Heathens. Jonathan Hochwald, one of the leading producers of the venue, described the Heathens as performing "live dance music."

The point with all of these venues, said Mr. Hochwald, is to create an "oasis" for both attendees of "Sleep No More" and those who aren't coming to see the show. "This is a new kind of night life," he explained. "It's not your typical bottle-service place with bankers and models. So many of these places are about packing them in. Our first priority is to have a generous, luxurious space that people can hang out in, and in the case of Gallow Green, enjoy this kind of verdant scenery."

Both the Heath and Gallow Green can seat 200 people each; "Sleep No More" accommodates under 500 audience members a night. "When everything is going at the same time, we have over 1,000 people," Mr. Hochwald said.

Whereas Gallow Green takes as its theme a kind of ghostly train yard, the Heath is more of the interior of that yard's train station. "It's kind of a train station restaurant in a village in Scotland. Everything is rich and masculine, and the train cars are pristine and beautiful. The idea is to juxtapose the two," said Mr. Hochwald.

Eventually, guests will be able to make reservations at the Heath for dinner. Tickets are sold to see the Preservation Hall Jazz Band; reservations can be made for the Heathens.

He added that actors who help extend the performance of "Sleep No More" into these other venues will become more active in the Heath as the fall approaches. "It's a separate experience," Mr. Hochwald said. "Separate but related."

As for the decorative use of train cars, Mr. Hochwald said the proximity to the High Line is only coincidental. "It's a visual and emotional idea that we all embraced," he said.

What has become clear, Mr. Hochwald said, is as you get higher in the building, "you get farther and farther out of the town in which 'Sleep No More' takes place. That's the geography."

Write to Marshall Heyman at marshall.heyman@wsj.com

A version of this article appeared July 13, 2013, on page A19 in the U.S. edition of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: New Stop at McKittrick Hotel.

I tried to purchase several times throughout the night, at odd times like 2am, 3am, 4am, no luck, says all 3 shows sold out. Cuse you're quite lucky to have gotten tickets. :prayer: :clap:
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Cuse

Postby Cuse » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:47 pm

It's skill. :wink:

I have some tips, but I'd rather say through PM. Never know who is reading this. (as soon as I posted here, the tickets disappeared)

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:30 pm

That's so awesome about the cousins line in the FOTC TV show relating to you as well, Deirdre. :lol: :thumb:

Oh, I see. The Heath just opened a few weeks ago? Sounds like a cool place. Thanks for posting the article, 4ever. Fingers crossed you're able to buy tickets too!

We do have many lurkers. :lol: Alongside PMs, we also have a "Members Only" area for WTF! members to post threads which are only viewable to a select number of active WTF! members so it's hidden from public view. We actually have the useful thread you posted a while back which gave tips on buying tickets there. Just let me know if you want to be granted access to "Members Only" to post a private thread. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:03 pm

Obviously I can not, and would not, take too much credit for the Mel character. But if you notice on the Texas Odyssey part 4 where my husband is interviewed too, we kind of think the Doug characater is based on him a little bit. Can't be sure of course, but it's nice to think. :D

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:19 am

I just got a chance to read all of these posts, and it's so great to hear from some long time WTFers. :wave:
Cuse, we still have your ticket-buying advice you gave us ages ago in our Members Only area. Yjanks to you, I got 5th row for the Mansfield show of Oddball, but there are a few more than 200 in that venue. :roll:

Dierdre, I hope you score tix! And soon! :pray:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Cuse

Postby Cuse » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:41 am

Is my ticket buying advice post still around? So long ago! :)

I wonder if there will be merch for this show. I assume the Oddball shows will? I'd love a super rare conchords only poster.

Edit: And thanks to Sherry, or whoever posted this show on FB. I still wouldn't even know about it.

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Thank you all for all your support. I am throwing in the towel. :(
Have a great time Cuse! If you do get to talk to them, (and you can stop hyperventilating :lol: ) would you tell them I said hi? :worry:

4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Deidre, don't give up! Seriously I've scored tickets at the last minute and more than once. You just never know. Keep on keepin' on. :nails:

Best luck, sending positive vibes! :hug: :hug:

Cuse, once the oddball tour has started and we have the deets on merchandise, let me know what piques your interest. I will try my best. I'm in Chicago and I'm attending the Oddball fest in Denver.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:02 am

Sept 8 in Mansfield, MA. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Conchords tours & gigs - All the info here”