It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:30 pm

A few things

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years... it all goes here. Rhys Darby, Taika Waititi, Arj Barker, Nigel Collins et al

Moderator: Venus

A few things

Postby Sherry » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:04 pm

Ok, I've written up the How To guides for merging/moving posts and topics. I hope they are clear enough to follow. I think so but then I am used to doing all this. But then I don't think I can make them any more simple if you know what I mean. I've broken them down into step by step as much as I can. If there are any problems please let me know and I shall try to fix them or explain better.

I'm concerned that you ladies know how this stuff all works as it really is something that needs to be acted on when you find something. I've been trying to encourage mods to be a bit more pro active on the forum with regards to just jumping in and doing the small stuff. I hope you feel comfortable about doing so as its better to do the small stuff asap rather than discussing it for a few days before making the changes.

This is for a number of reasons

a) continuity for members and the forum
b) means less work in the long run if you encourage people to be more aware/considerate when they post
c) its how I've always done things and would like them to continue as far as possible

If members see threads being moved, or topics merged sooner rather than later, they are more likely to be aware for the future. If something is left to linger too long it becomes a bit of a moot point and doesn't really serve any purpose to change once its been left too long. Just makes it more awkward I feel.

Also by being active doing the small mod stuff around the forum it keeps people aware that you are here and are in that role on occasion.

Also don't be afraid to nudge/club people about getting back on to the topic. As I've said, if a thread goes on for longer than one page OT, it needs to be pointed back to getting on topic. If it goes on longer than that post wise or for days then it becomes harder to change and also shows inconsistencies in how you all mod. If there is one thing I've learnt is that modding requires consistency and fast action as soon as something is noted. If that means locking a thread till you've worked out what to do with it then so be it. Unlock it onces its edited/merged/moved or whatever.

Don't be afraid to split a topic like the 10 Things one if there are pages of OT convo about not having children. Its gone on for way too long on its OT line and should have been nudged back to topic ages ago and split. Its the sort of thing that if you don't act on in one section, but another mod does in their section, it shows inconsistency and can cause unrest and resentment of modding. So please please ensure you are all on the same page with this.

OK son has just woken. I shall be back to write a bit more later but would like your thoughts on things. If you feel I am asking too much or am being too particular about things please understand its nothing personal, its just how I've always tried to maintain the forum mod wise and I'd like to know if I am not going to be here, that those same things are going to be done as far as possible. I know I've failed on occasion and during my leave of abscence when pregnant and son was younger, but I've really tried to get the forum back on track in more recent times and feel I have achieved that.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: A few things

Postby ardy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:46 pm

you have to know this is all insanely helpful, i've printed every single "how to" you've posted thus far... it will definitely help - me, especially, because when i mod free style, i lose confidence.

thanks a million, sherry - you're the best!
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...
ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby Sherry » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:05 pm

If you practice enough doing dummy runs you really won't need to refer to the guide. It really is a case of actually doing them to get to know your way round the mod panel and get familiar with it all.

I never had a guide to work from, I just winged it and worked out what I was supposed to do when I actually needed to. The odd few posts got lost on the way but so ah well :lol: If you work through all the different tools a few times and just mess around with dummy threads you should be fine when it comes to actually doing it for real.

:)
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:38 am

Thank you for all your instructions, Sherry. I do hope to be more proactive than I've been in the past. I've printed the info as well, and promise to do dummy runs during the long weekend.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Sherry » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:33 am

Thanks Nancy :)

I'm really hoping to see more a pro active prescence round the forum from mods. It doesn't have to be massive, but seeing that continuity is kept with regard to how everyone takes part and mods their sections is important.

Also is acting quickly when threads need moving/merging/splitting etc. Or posts deleting.

I know I am banging on about it, but I really want to step away from the forum and do some work on the main site and get that up to speed and running smoothly again, but I can't as I am having to give so much time to the forum. Not just modding wise but from PM's that really could go to mods, behind the scenes maintenance etc.

I also still tend to scan way too many threads on the forum to keep an eye on things. Some things are slipping through and I've picked up a number of things and done them while browsing round the forum. Maybe I should have said to the people covering those sections, but by the time I do that a day or two could have passed and it then makes modding them moot. So I acted on them when I saw them. All dealt with :)

I'm confident if you ladies spend time getting up to speed with how to do stuff this week it'll be fine. But I really need to know you know what you are doing and are actively doing it before I can step away. Otherwise I won't be able to relax.

So please, everyone who needs to, take some time, even if its just 10 minutes here and there to look at the mod control panel (will be shown on top right above the main thread listing page of the sections you mod) as [ Moderator Control Panel ] above the Go To Page breakdown selection. Just get familiar with things there before you attempt stuff if it helps. Look round, investigate. So long as you don't take the final step of finishing a modding (ie clicking YES or SUBMIT at the final stage to merge/move/split etc) you can mess around in the panel. Once you get to know your way round it, it really should start to feel a bit more doable and you should gain in confidence. If you really have problems let myself or MM know and we shall try to help to get you up to speed.

Sorry if it seems a little harsh about the control panel, but it is important. I need to be able to leave MM with a team of people who can support her fully and actively. I don't want MM to struggle having to take on more than she already does by having to pick up other peoples sections if they are not able to moderate them fully. So please be honest with me if things are too much. If you really cannot get to grips with how to do things then I won't be offended at all if you decide to step down as a mod. I'd rather everyone were on the same page and happy with what they are doing than stuggling on. Being able to use the mod control panel is vital and there will be plenty of occasions when it will need to be used. More often than not in General and when its busy, the Tour section, but other areas also.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:44 am

Sherry, I thought I'd alert you - I got a message through my e-mail that there was a post on this thread, and usually the password screen would come up, but this time it went right into the Admin area, no password needed. :dunno:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Sherry » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:42 am

It doesn't need one. Its just a dummy forum. It can only be seen and viewed by mods/admin.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Return to Conchords Cohorts