The Phoenix Foundation

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: The Phoenix Foundation

Postby LauraK » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:59 am

Ooo, that sounds like my kinda song.....

rushes off to listen
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:53 am

Well, it's not really a Christmas album; more of a Kriskmass album. ;) (In fact, they do admit that there are absolutely no Christmas songs on it at all.)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:50 pm

You are so right Laura ... (my kinda song!) I think Samuel and the boys have a great sense of humor. I mean to release this during holidays with the name Kriskmass and to have it be dark.. :D
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:02 pm

I'm soooo happy there's a thread for these guys. I love them too and kinda "look after" their thread on FOTCmb. You know they've just made the soundtrack to Taika's BOY, don't you?

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:48 pm

Yes I saw the twitter updates about them being involved in the BOY soundtrack. Looking forward to hearing their stuff. Admittedly I've only listened to their material from the Eagle vs Shark soundtrack and a few other tracks. I've always been meaning to listen to more since I love what I've heard so far. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:51 pm

Most of their best bits are on the EvS soundtrack CD but I do recommend their albums as well. The BOY soundtrack we may have in March and their new album is coming out early next year, so yeah, lots of goodies from them in 2010. I wish they'd say more about the UK tour plans :hrm: .

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Oh they're due to tour the UK next year? That's cool 8)
&

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:08 pm

They've mentioned it once in their MySpace bulletin, so I hope it'll work out :D .

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:15 am

I think they may actually be living in the UK for a while next year, not just touring, so that should mean more opportunities to see them perform (and hopefully in a few places other than the UK). ;)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:39 pm

Really?! I didn't know that. Well, coming that long distance it's better to stay here a while. I wonder if they'll step on Luke's fatherland's ground :wink: . Frankly, I don't know how big fan base they've got here. There must be more fans than just me :hrm: .

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Yeah I just did a quick search on the net and found out that The Phoenix Foundation are signed with The Agency Group UK and are planning on moving to the UK in the summer to do some shows. Sounds good, hopefully I'll be able to attend one. It looks like they may be coming over around the same time FOTC are in town as well. :D

Having just signed with top UK booking agency The Agency Group, The Phoenix Foundation will move to London for Summer 2010 … but first, they’ll release their Christmas EP 'Merry Kriskmass' (Dec 7, 2009), and then their much anticipated fourth studio album in early 2010.

Source

The Phoenix Foundation

With only one brief previous visit to the UK - a sell-out showcase at London’s Carling Academy - this ultra-talented band has the top music critics ranting and raving downunder, and have been touted as ‘one to watch’ this summer with Mojo Mag recently including them in their ‘Readers’ Top 10 songs’, and NME describing them as ‘one of the leading NZ bands starting to make waves in the UK’.

Heralding from the capital city of Wellington – also home to their good friends, comedy duo The Flight Of The Conchords, The Phoenix Foundation’s recent work writing and performing the score and soundtrack to the quirky indie film Eagle Vs Shark has gained them much-deserved international attention recently. Starring The Flight of the Conchords’ Jemaine Clement, Eagle Vs Shark was written and directed by Oscar nominee Taika Waititi, and released worldwide through Mirimax (http://www.eaglevsshark.net).

The band already have two heavily acclaimed Gold-Selling Albums to their name, released through legendary New Zealand indie label Flying Nun Records (The Clean, Straitjacket Fits, The Chills). They have been labelled as ‘the best new band in the country’ by New Zealand’s leading music critics but, until now, the tyranny of distance has meant only a few lucky music lovers have discovered them on these shores.

Expect this to change in 2009 with The Phoenix Foundation announcing their move to the UK for the coming summer, supporting the release of their latest album - Happy Ending through their own label Lovely Horse Records.
Described as ‘uncut indie’, the Phoenix Foundation’s kooky, boundary-crossing sound and style glides effortlessly between infectious guitar pop gems, alt-country anthems, dreamy psychedelia and delirious synthesizer prog rock.

Source
&

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:27 pm

My favorite is Pegasus. Although I love them all, I am partial to some songs from that album.

I missed them when they did a short tour here in the States a couple years ago.

I really hope they return to do a more widespread tour besides NY and CA that is. We are willing to travel to see them, but not to Europe, no money for that :(

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:38 pm

Venus: good work :thumb:

ItsAllRyche: You've been having FOTC for too long. Maybe it's time for some goodies for Europe :rock: .

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:59 am

Okay, that is true, I guess we have been so spoiled by that that my expectations are really unrealistic. :roll:

You can't blame me though, for having The Phoenix Foundation envy! :rolleyes: :rock:

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:01 am

Oh, and actually they are closer being in Europe than staying in New Zealand, so it is all good. :wink:

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”