It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:58 pm

Kristen Wiig- Despicable Me 2

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years... it all goes here. Rhys Darby, Taika Waititi, Arj Barker, Nigel Collins et al

Moderator: Venus

Kristen Wiig- Despicable Me 2

Postby gibbsrus » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:11 pm

So I guess it's fair to say that you (NB: For the purpose of this post 'you' really refers to 'me' but it's embarrassing so I'm blaming you and not me:P) have probably watched too much FOTC when you're sitting in a cinema watching Despicable Me 2 with your children and you recognise a voice. Now, unlike Two Little Boys or Austenland or even the Hobbit, I have not been awaiting Despicable Me 2 with baited breath to swoon over my 'special guys' so I really knew nothing about the movie or the actors playing the voices.... other than Steve Carrell and Russell Brand.

So picture this, we are watching the movie and the character Lucy appears to kidnap Gru. "I know that voice, who is that?" I say out aloud. "HUH?" the general response from my kids. "Is that? No. Couldn't be. Is it though? That character sounds like..... like.... OMG LIAM, IT'S BRAHBRAH!!!!" "HUH" again, from both boys!!! Time to check with the expert.... my youngest son. "Hey Ryan, does that sound like Brahbrah?" "Yeah I think so". Still not convinced, I sneakily bend over in my seat until I am almost completely under the seat, turn on my phone and google it.

"HOLY MOLY IT IS BRAHBRAH!!!" Now here comes the BEST part......of course, as usual, all cutting remarks and feelings of complete and utter stupidity come courtesy of my youngest child, the seven year old keeper of all knowledge.... Ryan. Ryan turns to me and says "Well, duh, look at her, I think she has a slightly lazy eye". WTF?? Surely not. Really? No!!!!

So, for the rest of the film, I am staring at her eyes. Until, of course, we get another shock, but this time we all recognise the voice and in unison call out "MEL!!!!" as we turn and look at each other and laugh. After receiving stern looks from the 12 year old's in front of us, my 2 sons and I returned to watching the movie made just that little bit funnier by finding the lady in the blueberry dress was Brahbrah and the crazy girlfriend was our Mel.

So, what do you think? Does she have a slightly lazy eye???? Or was it just that we wanted it that to be true sooooo badly we just started seeing it???
slide-despicable-2_1.jpg
slide-despicable-2_1.jpg (170.78 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
tumblr_inline_mq89laYrfi1qz4rgp.jpg
tumblr_inline_mq89laYrfi1qz4rgp.jpg (54.93 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Re: Kristen Wiig- Despicable Me 2

Postby LauraK » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:56 pm

HA! Me, Tom, and Jake went to see DM2 yesterday and when he was in the restaurant with that awful woman I leaned over to Jake and said "That's Mel!" and he practically yelled "Yes!" LOL! :lol:

I knew it was Kristen Wiig, Brahbrah, but I didn't think about the slightly lazy eye...and am I glad I didn't get distracted! But next time I see it..... :lol: THANKS A LOT! ;)

You know that Jemaine did Minion voices, right? :D http://news.msn.com/rumors/rumor-minion ... ing-french
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby gibbsrus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:01 pm

I thought I saw something about Jemaine doing Minion voices, but there is nothing in the credits, so the boys and I thought it was perhaps a mixup with Rio??? Got any hard evidence??? :P
gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:39 am

The first movie I thought there was some truth to that rumor about Jemaines voices. But I think the minions themselves look an awful lot like Jemaine. Gapped teeth and big glasses.

I missed a lot of posts on here the last year, so it is probably explained somewhere on this message board.
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby LauraK » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:36 am

I thought I saw something about Jemaine doing Minion voices, but there is nothing in the credits, so the boys and I thought it was perhaps a mixup with Rio??? Got any hard evidence??? :P

When the movie was first being made it was said he was doing the minions voices, then just some, and then it was uncredited....but he did indeed contribute voicework for minions.

The following is from the production notes:

"Coffin worked with his fellow director to develop the complex language for the Minions. To help us understand them, every once in a while a word of English sneaks out during a scene," the notes say.

"Renaud and Coffin discovered how to compress the sound of their voices so that they were able to tweak slightly both their and (Jemaine) Clement’s voices for each little guy’s vocals. 'The language is much more about sound than it is about any kind of meaning,' says Meledandri."

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Jemaine-Clement/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1318596/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jemaine_Clement

and best... :)
http://www.whatthefolk.net/forum/viewto ... &start=135
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby gibbsrus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:54 pm

ah ha. That has cleared it up for me, thanks so much :) It explains why there's no mention in the credits for us :)

I showed a friend at work the old Milky Bar cartoon and asked him if he recognised the bad guy. My friend knows I am a conchord fan (it's his fault actually, he MADE me watch them originally) and so he said "It's not Jemaine? Is it really?" so that was my bit of excitement. My little man arranges our DVD's 'correctly'. It's quite odd to see Rio and Despicable Me in the middle of Gentlemen Broncos, MIB and the Hobbit (etc). He also insists on having the Labyrinth with them too :P
gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby LauraK » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:34 pm

How about Top Gun? :P
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Jemaine was credited as Jerry the Minion in the first movie, but doesn't show up in the credits in the second one. I suspect timing and scheduling had something to do with it.

They are the funniest little things, though!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby LauraK » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:23 am

Oops- I said he was uncredited from what you said your post from 2010, MM, lol!
I got the DVD yesterday. He doesn't appear in the "voices of Despicable Me," but his name is still on the credits. The minions are credited to the director and producer.

Funny that on the DVD it doesn't name his as Jerry but everywhere online does!
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby gibbsrus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:48 pm

Top Gun? What's this got to do with Top Gun? Why do you have to relate everything to Top Gun? No. It's nothing like that, I don't even know that movie!!!! :P
gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Return to Conchords Cohorts