What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC

Venus
 Post subject: Shannon Hale- Author of Austenland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:01 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

Since at least a couple of us have read the book 'Austenland' which is being adapted into a film starring Bret (click here for the film discussion) and others including myself are planning on reading the novel, a more detailed discussion thread about the book was definitely in order so here it is. :)

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

nonchalant obsession
 Post subject: Re: Shannon Hale- Author of Austenland
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:36 pm 
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Should we use spoiler boxes in this thread?

Who all is reading or has read this book? I've read it a while back and just put it on my Nook to read it again now that we know who has been cast in the movie version.

Venus
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:40 pm 

Yes, perhaps use spoiler boxes for now in case people are in the process of reading the book but want to discuss what they've read so far and others who are curious about general opinions about the book without reading any spoilers. Only use them if you feel they're necessary, the whole thread doesn't need to be covered in spoiler boxes. :)

Faith
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:42 am 
A pastry chef and a sniper

I really want to read the book, but they didn't have a copy at my library so I put it on hold. The next one that's available is mine. Sounds like my kind of book from what I've read from nonch's spoiler boxes. :) And I love Jane Austen.

ItsAllRyche
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:41 am 
Stop touching the monkeys

Just ordered this book. Should have a a few. I will definitely join in (with spoiler alerts of course)

Venus
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:43 pm 

Just finished reading the book. I thought it was a highly enjoyable read so I am very much so looking forward the film adaptation. :thumb:

I can definitely see why Jennifer Coolidge was cast as Miss Charming. She would definitely fit very well into the role.

Breteros are going to have a flippin' field day with this film if it stays true to the book! Looks like there'll be quite a few making out scenes involving Bret which isn't something we're used to (the only thing which comes to mind is that Funny or Die "Pantsed" sketch :lol:).

So we're going to probably see Bret shirtless, getting down and dirty as a gardener and looking dapper as Mr. Bentley at the ball? This all sounds good to me. :nod:

I thought the moment when Jane and Martin fled the ball was cute. He sings Jane a "ludicrous lullaby" whilst holding her in his arms? Ooh, Bret could be singing!

When Jane talked about staying a couple more days in London, I laughed when Martin replied, "That's an offer I can’t refuse because I'm simply mad to see you in pants. I have a feeling you have a very nice bum"- haha, I would love to hear Bret say that!

Very interesting twists towards the end of the book when Jane finds out that Martin was also part of the whole act and the encounters at the airport and on the plane! Martin and Mr. Nobley (Henry) fighting over Jane was slightly reminiscent of Bret and Jemaine fighting over BrahBrah. :lol:

Faith
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:40 pm 
A pastry chef and a sniper

Jennifer Coolidge is so Miss Charming. Especially the part where she grabs her boobs and tells Jane that yes they are real. I can totally see her doing that. :lol:

I was kinda disappointed with how things ended with Martin although I think that was only because I was reading that part with Bret in mind. It was pretty obvious she was going to end up with Mr. Nobley/Henry.

nonchalant obsession
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:22 pm 

Ack! You guys are killing me. I've had no time for reading. :x

Venus wrote:
Breteros are going to have a flippin' field day with this film if it stays true to the book!

:thumb: :nod: Hence the general glee over him being cast as Martin! :D

Plus, to see Bret portray a duplicitous jerk instead of a bit of a bumbling innocent is both refreshing and titilating! Not only that but he is an actor playing the role of an actor who is depicting the part of a 'real life' gardener who is uncomfortable with - but required to do a bit of acting for his job. :rolleyes: Bret is so unassuming and amiable that I can't wait to see him pour all that into Martin. He will easily convince poor Jane that he is truly a humble, authentic person stuck in a ridiculous situation with her. Look out girl, when Bret turns on the charm! I think I may die. :heart:

Venus wrote:
Looks like there'll be quite a few making out scenes involving Bret....

:thud: :thud: :thud: I hope they don't spare us a single scene. Guh, wasn't there one with him smashing her up against the door or something? I've got to get back to this book.

Venus wrote:
So we're going to probably see Bret shirtless, getting down and dirty as a gardener and looking dapper as Mr. Bentley at the ball? This all sounds good to me. :nod:

Oooo! I forgot that he gets all dressed up near the end! He will be dancing at the start as well! And the singing! :whitey: This is too exciting!

I know, Faith. I know. :goodman: But that reveal about Martin was a nice twist. That woman that runs the resort is not very nice though. Won't she be played by Jane Seymour? I found myself really hoping that Martin wasn't truly a jerk when I read it originally, and I wasn't even picturing Bret at the time. That whole airport scene reminds me of the restaurant brawl in Bridget Jones' Diary.

Venus
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:34 pm 

Quote:
:thud: :thud: :thud: I hope they don't spare us a single scene. Guh, wasn't there one with him smashing her up against the door or something? I've got to get back to this book.

Yes, that scene is particularly steamy! I hope they keep that one in. :twisted: :yawinkle:

Quote:
Oooo! I forgot that he gets all dressed up near the end! He will be dancing at the start as well! And the singing! :whitey: This is too exciting!

Oh yes the dancing! They dance a bit at the ball too. :D

I did also want things to work out for Martin but I think knowing that Martin is going to be played by Bret made me quite biased. Yep, Jane Seymour will be playing Mrs. Wattlesbrook who does come across as quite a mean, stuffy lady in the book.

LauraK
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:26 pm 
Boom King!

I read it in one sitting last night- finished at 4 am! :)

I completely 'saw' Bret as Martin the whole time but I was a bit suspicious of him....figured he might be an actor. But oooooh, those making-out scenes and yes- the holding-her-against-the-door-whilst-her-legs-are-wrapped-around-him scene, mmmm! I hope that's filmed exactly as written. I predict much photoshopping from this movie! :)

Now Nobley...I really thought it'd turn out that he too was a fan of all things Austen and was actually a paying guest. I look forward to the airport scene, lol.

I wonder if they'll squeeze in little vignettes of all of her past 'boyfriends?' :lol:

Oh, Mrs. Wattlesbrook was such a condescending cow!! Since her character and Aunt Saffronia are to be merged...I wonder if the scene with drunken lech Sir John will be given over to Mr. Wattlesbrook?

And I gasped out loud when Jane's phone was discovered and she was about to be kicked out! I saw no mention of who might be playing Amelia, so I wonder if she'll be there...hmmm. I really thought she was an actor, too, lol!

It was a fun read and I can't wait to see it!

Venus
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:34 pm 

LauraK wrote:
I wonder if they'll squeeze in little vignettes of all of her past 'boyfriends?' :lol:

Yes, I'd love to see how that will be shown in the movie. I hope it is included.

Quote:
And I gasped out loud when Jane's phone was discovered and she was about to be kicked out! I saw no mention of who might be playing Amelia, so I wonder if she'll be there...hmmm. I really thought she was an actor, too, lol!

Georgia May King will be playing Lady Amelia Heartwright. Here's her Twitter account:
http://twitter.com/#!/GeorgiaMayKing

LauraK
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:41 am 
Boom King!

Ah, thanks Venus! I think one of you may have posted about her in the other thread since she looks familiar to me.... :hrm: I have to go back to that one now that I know who all the characters are now. :)

The men they have playing Nobley and Col. Andrews look so young to me! But I'm sure they're going to be perfect. :)

nonchalant obsession
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:21 pm 

LauraK wrote:
I completely 'saw' Bret as Martin the whole time but I was a bit suspicious of him....figured he might be an actor.

Really? Good for you, I was completely taken in. :doh: :lol: It's been a while, but I remember also really wanting to trust him at the airport. I guess I held out some hope that maybe that the evil Mrs. Wattlesbrook was just a jealous spoilsport and was secretly in love with Martin herself or something and wanted to ruin things for him and Jane. :dunno: :lol:

LauraK wrote:
But oooooh, those making-out scenes and yes- the holding-her-against-the-door-whilst-her-legs-are-wrapped-around-him scene, mmmm! I hope that's filmed exactly as written. I predict much photoshopping from this movie! :)

Oh yes, I'm sure there will be. 8) I plan to certainly do my part. :lol:

Shannon Hale never let the characters go too far though. Did you guys think that was best and added to the titilation or would you rather have seen the resort folk get a little carried away? :whistle: I think Jennifer Coolidge for one will probably push it just about as far as her Director/Producer/Writer team will allow. :twisted:

LauraK wrote:
Now Nobley...I really thought it'd turn out that he too was a fan of all things Austen and was actually a paying guest.

MAN, that would have been an awesome twist. :clap:

LauraK wrote:

I really hope they work it in. They could make fun, quirky seques into each scene. Though, I don't know that Ms Hale completely sold me on the premise being set forth, that blames Jane's idealization of Mr. Darcy for all the crash and burn romances.

I saw this today. I think Mr. Darcy approves of Austenland. :)

Source: Kirstencan Flickr

Venus
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:15 pm 

Haha, great pic. :thumb:

Also, isn't Keri Russell currently pregnant? If so, I guess they can't get too rough during the making out scenes. :lol:

ItsAllRyche
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:48 pm 
Stop touching the monkeys

I just got my book!! I am gonna start reading tonight after work.

I can't wait to get started!