It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:18 pm

Shannon Hale- Author of Austenland

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years... it all goes here. Rhys Darby, Taika Waititi, Arj Barker, Nigel Collins et al

Moderator: Venus

Re: Shannon Hale- Author of Austenland

Postby LauraK » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:50 am

That Darcy cutout is fabulous! (I can't believe you didn't put Bret's head on him, lol!) *hint, hint*

:D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:28 am

Did you know she's written the sequel- "Midnight in Austenland?" (probably you guys did know... :P ) :D So if the film does well, perhaps they'll film the second book. I certainly hope Martin's in it! :D

http://austenprose.com/2011/06/13/previ ... nnon-hale/
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:24 pm

I saw mention of the sequel in Shannon Hale's blog, but I hadn't considered another film. (with Bret in it) :thumb:

I will certainly pick up the book - January 3rd. This one will be a nod to Northanger Abbey I see. Hmmm. From that overview on Midnight in Austenland, it sounds like all new characters, but I guess you can do what you want with a screenplay. :)

I wonder if Shannon Hale intends to continue the series and hit all the Austen books for inspiration?
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:06 pm

That is good news, another book in a 'series. I too hope it is adapted into a movie. :D
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby LauraK » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:32 am

Yes, all new characters.....except for the actors who work at Pembrook Park, hmmmmm?? :D Surely Martin still works there? :P

I haven't pre-ordered but I tried to put it on hold through my library. It doesn't even come up in a search there yet, lol! Ah well, I'll be reading it for sure. :)

Perhaps I should read more Austen....I've only read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility and they were a long time ago!
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:28 pm

You are right! It would stand to reason that the actors who work at Penbrook Park would still be around. :D I hope the movie makes everyone enough money to warrant another! :wink:

I highly recommend Emma. I seriously adore the dialog in that one - maybe more than any of the rest. (maybe) I couldn't stop myself from reading it with a highlighter in hand, to capture phrases that made me laugh out loud or sigh with delight at the genius of their composition or implication. My copy of "The Complete Novels of Jane Austen" looks like bit like an old reverend's Bible. :lol:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Venus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:20 pm

Some more info about Midnight in Austenland :)

Return to Austenland with Shannon Hale
Posted on 15 September 2011 by Trisha, Managing Editor

It’s been an interesting few years for Jane Austen fans. With homages, continuations and mashups of the 19th-century novelist’s works coming at a dizzying pace, it’s hard to know which are worth reading.

One of the few that belong in that camp is Shannon Hale‘s Austenland, which I found “clever and imaginative” back in 2007. Hollywood agreed; the book was optioned for a movie and Hale spent 7 weeks on the set last month. It stars Jennifer Coolidge, Keri Russell and JJ Feild.

Now Hale has written another book set at Pembroke Park, a British estate where you can live the Regency lifestyle (for a price). Midnight in Austenland‘s heroine, Charlotte, is escaping her recently remarried ex and their ungrateful children. Like Jane, the heroine of Austenland, Charlotte finds herself more caught up in the activities at Pembroke than she thought she’d be—and it’s hard to tell where fantasy ends and reality begins.

Here’s the first few lines:

No one who knew Charlotte Constance Kinder since her youth would suppose her born to be a heroine. She was a practical girl even from infancy, only fussing as much as was necessary and exhibiting no alarming opinions. Common wisdom asserts that heroes are born from great calamity, and yet our Charlotte’s early life was pretty standard. Not only did her parents avoid fatal accidents, they never once locked her up in a hidden attic room.

Sounds kind of like Northanger Abbey to me. Will you check out Midnight in Austenland?

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:34 pm

You can read the first 25 pages of Midnight in Austenland here. http://issuu.com/bloomsburypub/docs/mid ... austenland :)
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby ItsAllRyche » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 am

YAY! :clap:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:41 pm

I liked it so far. :thumb: