It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Fabulous fabulous fabulous!

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years... it all goes here. Rhys Darby, Taika Waititi, Arj Barker, Nigel Collins et al

Moderator: Venus

Fabulous fabulous fabulous!

Postby Great H » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:50 am

Well there was a Black Seeds thread already, but none for Black Seeds splinters... :hrm: Mods feel free to move this if there's somewhere more suitable...

Seems Lord Echo aka Mike Fabulous has teemed up with Lawrence Arabia again to make, wait for it... FABULOUS/ARABIA... and produced the album "Unlimited Buffet'

Have a listen to the full album here:
I think I like Track 2 'give me love tonight' best!

Oh and here is a free (if slightly complicated) full download of the first track "The ballad of State Highway 1"

You can pre-order the full album (digital or CD) here Not sure what the story is with international postage though...?

They've got a couple of gigs coming up in Auckland and Welly, so I'm gonna have to make an effort to go see them. YAY!

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Re: Fabulous fabulous fabulous!

Postby LauraK » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Nice!! 8) I hope you get to at least one of the shows. :)

I liked "Tony's Chord" and "You Won't Remember This Feeling At All."
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Is the free livestream over?!?!? Bummer. I hope the free download is still there when I get home from work.

Thanks, Great H. Yes, get to a gig! That is a great photo! :lol: Their beards are good.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Great H » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:05 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:Is the free livestream over?!?!? Bummer.
Nope, it's still working Nonch - have another go! :nod:
Great H

Postby Venus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:33 pm

Ooh thanks for all the info, Great H! I've downloaded the mp3 and now I'm listening to the album stream. :lalala:

Let us know how their gig goes! :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Great H » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:26 am

Looks like that Herald stream is now invalid, but the album is now streaming on fabulousarabia.bandcamp.com :D
Great H

Postby emira » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:35 am

I think I'm going to see them at Mighty Mighty in Wellington this Friday :D
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Venus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Nice one! Enjoy the gig and feel free to share your experience/pics/videos. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby emira » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:09 am

They were awesome! Great H, you MUST go and see them in Auckland! I'll try to post a photo or two later this weekend, maybe even an audio, because the cd is nothing comparing to live performance. It was loud, but I think the audio came out ok after all.
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Great H » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Well I finished yelling at the television at 10.15pm last night (All Blacks vs Argentina Rugby World Cup quarterfinal) and realized I had just 15 minutes till Fabulous/Arabia came on stage at the Kings Arms. I had been in two minds about going to the gig, even though I really wanted to, because it would mean a really late Sunday night and I had to work today, and also because I wasn't thrilled at that prospect of going to a pub on my own. And to add insult to injury I'd probably I'd be the oldest person there! But, given Emira's good reports (and a good result in the rugby!), I was in a positive mood so chose to make the mad dash to the gig. Fortunately the Kings Arms where they were playing is only a few blocks from where I live...

Anyways, I'm SO glad I did go! (A couple of bourbons later and hey, suddenly I'm a lot less self-conscious. LOL!) It turns out the CD sounds a lot better (sound wise) than that audio stream, and the live performance was WAY better than the CD! It was ridiculously funky and fun and just that little bit weird, which I like! Mike Fab was on form, he REALLY get's into a groove, LOL! They all (Mike Fab, Lawrence Arabia and 4 band members) were all drinking champagne, laughing and cracking jokes on stage and generally having a good time - it was really infectious. And the music was great too! Sweet harmonies, and so many different instruments involved which I always like. I remember guitar, bass, drums, cymbals, keyboard, synth, saxophone, tambourine, trumpet, a triangle, cowbell, maracas, and even a couple of wooden sticks to bang together - and probably there was more I'm forgetting. And the best thing was that the sound mixing was so good you could hear each and every instrument clearly and distinctly. FABULOUS FABULOUS FABULOUS!

Oh and I think I have a new crush, one of the band members Hayden East, what a cool dude! Mike still rules of course, though every time I looked at him I thought about his screaming and panting credit on that bizarre video and had to laugh... :lol: (Thanks 4ever!)

Alas in my rush to get to the gig I forgot to take my camera. Poopy. Nevermind. Next time! (Hopefully there'll be more gigs at some point - and I hope some more of you get a chance to go too! - Fully recommended if you do! :nod: )
Great H

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:06 am

Great H wrote: Oh and I think I have a new crush, one of the band members Hayden East, what a cool dude! Mike still rules of course, though every time I looked at him I thought about his screaming and panting credit on that bizarre video and had to laugh... :lol: (Thanks 4ever!)

:lol: :clap: He is FAB! :whistle:

I will check out Hayden East & see what he's about. :halo: *insert panting here*
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Great H » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:40 am

This is a clip of Fab/Arabia playing at Mighty Mighty in Wellie - it's got pretty bad sound tho and somehow makes them all sound out-of-tune (!) - which they most definitely weren't - at least not when they were up in Auck! This is the gig Emira went to - she's written a great post about it for those that are following her blog - I'll let her post the linkee herself when she drops in tho).

Oh and that's Hayden on the left at about 28sec with the cowbell/scratchy wooden whatevertheheckyoucallit. He also played the synth and sax. Kind of a funky cross between Matt Dillon and Steve Buscemi. (Floppy hair and a mustache will do it every time...) :lol:
Great H

Postby emira » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:34 am

Thanks H for your report! That sounds like the gig I went to at the Mighty Mighty. And I agree with you, the album is great, CD awesome but the live show blows your mind. Mike is such a great bass player!

I love them all and I got to talk to Hayden. What a lovely guy! :heart:

If you want to listen to the gig or even download it, here's my post with the audio and some photos. There's also a great photoset on flickr, but not mine.

My favourites:

I just had an awesome weekend being intoxicated by New Zealand music. If you want to listen to The Phoenix Foundation, Hollie Smith, The Woolshed Sessions, The Yoots, WIUO, you're more than welcome to visit my blog. If you read it, there's also a message for you from Mike Fabulous. ;)

Enjoy! :D
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:35 pm

This is great stuff, ladies! :hug: Thanks so much for sharing it. 8)
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Great H » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Oh yeah, this review speaks the truth!
(Especially the bit about Mike Fab being in a jazz trance! And this... "the feet don't lie - we're close to midnight on a Sunday and Aucklanders are dancing" which tells you something about both the gig AND about Aucklanders :lol: )
Great H

Next

Return to Conchords Cohorts