It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:30 am

Fabulous fabulous fabulous!

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years... it all goes here. Rhys Darby, Taika Waititi, Arj Barker, Nigel Collins et al

Moderator: Venus

Re: Fabulous fabulous fabulous!

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Great H wrote:Well I finished yelling at the television at 10.15pm last night (All Blacks vs Argentina Rugby World Cup quarterfinal) and realized I had just 15 minutes till Fabulous/Arabia came on stage at the Kings Arms. I had been in two minds about going to the gig, even though I really wanted to, because it would mean a really late Sunday night and I had to work today, and also because I wasn't thrilled at that prospect of going to a pub on my own. And to add insult to injury I'd probably I'd be the oldest person there! But, given Emira's good reports (and a good result in the rugby!), I was in a positive mood so chose to make the mad dash to the gig. Fortunately the Kings Arms where they were playing is only a few blocks from where I live...

Anyways, I'm SO glad I did go! (A couple of bourbons later and hey, suddenly I'm a lot less self-conscious. LOL!) It turns out the CD sounds a lot better (sound wise) than that audio stream, and the live performance was WAY better than the CD! It was ridiculously funky and fun and just that little bit weird, which I like! Mike Fab was on form, he REALLY get's into a groove, LOL! They all (Mike Fab, Lawrence Arabia and 4 band members) were all drinking champagne, laughing and cracking jokes on stage and generally having a good time - it was really infectious. And the music was great too! Sweet harmonies, and so many different instruments involved which I always like. I remember guitar, bass, drums, cymbals, keyboard, synth, saxophone, tambourine, trumpet, a triangle, cowbell, maracas, and even a couple of wooden sticks to bang together - and probably there was more I'm forgetting. And the best thing was that the sound mixing was so good you could hear each and every instrument clearly and distinctly. FABULOUS FABULOUS FABULOUS!

We're sooo glad that you decided to go, thanks for sharing oodles of great stuff with us.

Thanks to Emira too. The audio/mp3's are amazing.

I'm so happy for you both. :hug:
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Venus » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:00 am

I've finally had the chance to read through your recent blog posts and they're brilliant, emira! Thanks so much for all the updates. Very insightful! I'm so envious of your travels and experiences. I'm loving all the pics and I'm downloading the recordings now. 8)

Glad to hear you made it to a Fabulous/Arabia gig too, H and that you enjoyed it. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby emira » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:27 am

Venus wrote:I've finally had the chance to read through your recent blog posts and they're brilliant, emira! Thanks so much for all the updates. Very insightful! I'm so envious of your travels and experiences. I'm loving all the pics and I'm downloading the recordings now. 8)

Thank you! I'm glad I can share with you with all the goodness and hope you'll get your chance to come here too.
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Venus » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:18 pm

No problem! I really hope I can visit someday too but for now I'll live vicariously through your travels. It's great that you've been able to see many kiwi bands live within a short space of time. I'm loving your pics and recording from the WIUO EP release party too btw. Could you post a link to your blog and/or pics in the WIUO thread please? :)

A 4 star review of the Fabulous/Arabia album in the NZ Herald. 8)
&
Venus

Postby emira » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:03 am

Venus wrote:It's great that you've been able to see many kiwi bands live within a short space of time.

I think it's thanks to the World Cup. Some say I picked wrong time to visit New Zealand, because of the weather, but I think it's the best time for me. I didn't come here for the weather.

I'm loving your pics and recording from the WIUO EP release party too btw. Could you post a link to your blog and/or pics in the WIUO thread please? :)

Done. :)

:heart:
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:32 am

Hi! Just wanted to give you heads up. Mike has set up his new facebook page and I like what he's been posting so far treating it more like a blog, than... I don't know... facebook? haha. Like him, now!
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Venus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Cool, thanks for the heads up. 8)
&
Venus

Previous