HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season Two - Ep 1

The place for all Conchords HBO convo

Moderator: Venus

Re: HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season Two - Ep 1

Postby Val2150 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:01 pm

sarpugster wrote:
Nancy Hillner wrote::topic: Does anybody know what they're singing in the club before they meet Greg Proops? They're both singing in falsetto, and I can't make out any lyrics, but I'd sure love to know what they're singing about. :puzzled:

It is a song called Rock Beat - which, as they mention in Bust magazine, was one the first songs they wrote. :D

Quote from Bust magazine:

Were they serious songs, or was it comedy from the start?

B: They were kinda weird.

J: [singing] I pulled a muscle last night, dancing to a -

B: Rock...Beat

J: A rock be-de-be-de-beat-beat! [both laugh]

I recognised it watching the episode and it made my Conchord geek heart beat faster...

:D :D

Hahahaha, I totally thought that line was "I saw my uncle last night" :roll2: I think we need to start a misheard lyrics thread. :D

Oh, and awesome story, tvdiva!
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby tvldiva » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:18 pm

SheWolf wrote:Diva, is this pic from TPF thingy you were talking about?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95822320@N00/549104965/

'Kay now I'm going to have to go back and watch A Texan O more closely. Don't know why they would be embarrassed about it, it's freakin' entertaining as hell.

OMG- I forgot that Jemaine and Kristen were wearing "almost" matching shirts!! :clap:
Yes, I think it was a lot of fun. They made a few jokes at Austin's expense but it was done for a good cause-I think. :puzzled: I was a bit embarrassed by the segment of "do you know of any bands from New Zealand?" But, that interview was done before SXSW started, on the night they played at Emos. That night was all comics, so that was the wrong crowd to ask?!

Oh- the pirate guy who later on mentions Crowded House- he was my neighbor. He's band is called the Jolly Garogers, a heavy metal pirate band. No- really- see for yourself- http://www.jollygarogers.com/ . His name is Phillip but goes by Captain Phleabag. Super nice guy.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:32 am

Val2150 wrote:
sarpugster wrote:
Nancy Hillner wrote::topic: Does anybody know what they're singing in the club before they meet Greg Proops? They're both singing in falsetto, and I can't make out any lyrics, but I'd sure love to know what they're singing about. :puzzled:

It is a song called Rock Beat - which, as they mention in Bust magazine, was one the first songs they wrote. :D

Quote from Bust magazine:

Were they serious songs, or was it comedy from the start?

B: They were kinda weird.

J: [singing] I pulled a muscle last night, dancing to a -

B: Rock...Beat

J: A rock be-de-be-de-beat-beat! [both laugh]

I recognised it watching the episode and it made my Conchord geek heart beat faster...

:D :D

Hahahaha, I totally thought that line was "I saw my uncle last night" :roll2: I think we need to start a misheard lyrics thread. :D

Oh, and awesome story, tvdiva!

:wave: There is a Misheard Lyrics thread, under the General heading. I started it. :) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1753
But new misheards are always welcome! :D :nod:

I'm very impressed at your ability to decipher lyrics when they sing in their falsettos, Sarpugster. :clap: I just didn't have a clue. :puzzled:

After I posted last night, I realized that you were talking about '07, TV, but I had forgotten what year we were in ( :doh: duh, 2008!), and I was too tired to edit the post. :zzz:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Val2150 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:12 am

Oops, totally didn't see the other thread. :sosad: Sorry!
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:02 am

tvldiva wrote:...I went over to talk to Bret alone(Ellen didn't want to go- thinks he looks too much like Jesus with the beard :bounce: ). This time around, he was tired but very, very chatty. I found it funny, he kept saying "well- gotta go" then turn back to me, lean in(yes- lean in) and keep on talking. It was a loud bar scene but it freaked me out a bit. In a good way.

Diva, that story about meeting the Conchords is so fantastic, I barely know where to start. SO much good stuff. And bonus Phoenix Foundation goodies, too! Thank you, thank you for letting me hear the tale. I loved it to bits. I'm now going downstairs to get myself a New Year's Day cup of tea, and to stare glassy-eyed out of the kitchen window at the birdies as I daydream about Bret leaning in. A fine way to kick off 2009, I think.

Val, you are in some excellent company. I have a tremendous gift for posting things in inappropriate places and starting new threads on old subjects. You are not alone. :wink:

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby sarpugster » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:36 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:I'm very impressed at your ability to decipher lyrics when they sing in their falsettos, Sarpugster. :clap: I just didn't have a clue. :puzzled:

Thanks Nancy. :D I was quoting the interview for the "pulled a muscle last night" lyric.

They actually sing 3 different lines on the HBO show and you are right on one, I believe... :D Any guesses on the other two lines, before I write them out? :D

I have always been able to decipher lyrics well - probably plenty of years training listening to early (IRS-years) REM. :D
sarpugster
Lost but happy at sea

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:29 pm

sarpugster wrote:[I have always been able to decipher lyrics well - probably plenty of years training listening to early (IRS-years) REM. :D
Oh come on no one could dephicer IRS years REM lyrics. :hrmpf: :lol: Which is why my friends and I used to make up our own and I think they were probably better than the real ones. I mean Gardening at Night? :roll:

On first listen I could make out very little of Murray's song and none of Rock Beat.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby tvldiva » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:39 am

sarpugster wrote:
Nancy Hillner wrote:I'm very impressed at your ability to decipher lyrics when they sing in their falsettos, Sarpugster. :clap: I just didn't have a clue. :puzzled:

Thanks Nancy. :D I was quoting the interview for the "pulled a muscle last night" lyric.

They actually sing 3 different lines on the HBO show and you are right on one, I believe... :D Any guesses on the other two lines, before I write them out? :D

I have always been able to decipher lyrics well - probably plenty of years training listening to early (IRS-years) REM. :D

Amen! I even knew someone at IRS that was friends with REM and when he asked about the lyrics, he would get a different response everytime. In later years, Barney said that it was because Michael was too shy about his "words". Damn poets! I guess he got over that shyness, eh?

ANYWAY- I just recorded a new promo for the show. Warning- Jemaine doesn't make a physical appearance. :worry: Sorry-SW!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_oFiqDY8Gk
tvldiva

Postby mockingbird » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:01 am

SheWolf wrote:I mean Gardening at Night? :roll:

I love that song! "I see your money on the floor, I felt the pocket change to waffle..." I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

I wanted to learn how to play "It's the End of the World" - turns out there's only 2 or 3 chords in the whole song, and it's a good thing too, because the lyrics are insane. I thought I knew the lyrics to that song and after I read the actual lyrics I realized I was doing some Jemaine-style mumbling through large portions of it. I saw M. Stipe on TV once singing that song, and he had a piece of paper with the lyrics on it. He said to the audience, "YOU guys might know all the words - I have to write them down."

Ahem - sorry to hijack. I don't have HBO so I don't get to see the new season. *weeping*
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby tvldiva » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:48 am

Don't worry, there is ways around that, but you won't hear them from me... :whistle:
tvldiva

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:16 am

Pssst. Mockingbird....... viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1894
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby tvldiva » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:17 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:Pssst. Mockingbird....... http://whatthefolk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1894

wink wink..nudge nudge.. :whistle:
tvldiva

Postby mockingbird » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:43 am

:prayer: Thank you! I thought I had missed out since I didn't get to see it on Funny or Die. I will watch it if the kids ever go to bed! They are bouncing off the walls tonight.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby VaiVedrai » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:39 am

(I'd like to thank the 3-part clips on YouTube, for which this review would have otherwise been impossible...)

Loved the episode. The Murray aria was both majestic and curiously trite, and the Femident commercial was plain silly. It was great to see Mel back to her old stalker-ish tricks, and poor Doug as the lackey to her every insane idea (the gasoline can, really?).

(Hopefully, someone out there might be kind enough to post the other upcoming episodes, so I can review them when they're out...I too want to see Bret and Jemaine dabbling in male prostitution.)
If you don't know the answer, change the question.
VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:48 am

Did anyone else find Mel a little strident in the episode? Her volume was quite high compared to the rest of the show. Sure they were picketing, but even when she was putting Doug down she seemed loud. I also wasn't crazy about the way she spoke to Doug. I don't remember her being that mean before. Oh, dont mind me - I'm getting nitpicky.....:teeth:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

PreviousNext

Return to HBO TV series