It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:34 am

HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 5

The place for all Conchords HBO convo

Moderator: Venus

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 5

Postby JulesJules » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:16 pm

I guess I just watch the show for it's silliness. While it's often extremely clever, sometimes it's just silly and a bit ridiculous. I don't take it very seriously, because that's not my job as the viewer. If I worked on the show, even though it's a comedy, I would take it very seriously because it would be my job. I'm certain all involved in the show do take their jobs seriously. But for me, I don't try to analyze it too much. If the humor is low brow and funny, then I laugh.

I save my serious examinations for Mad Men. :lol:
JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:18 pm

Amanda wrote:they managed to do an awesome video :clap: well done guys!
Welllll I would think that's all Gondry, 100%, which is why it looked so awesome. Initially I thought it was an odd pairing but now I'm thinking Gondry should direct all FOTC eps. :lol:

My youtube isn't working at the moment but I believe this is the link to my fave version of Carol Brown.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aT-gyVrwYI

I didn't notice they were being more vulgar this season until others mentioned it. They used the word dickhead last season a few times so I didn't think it was too odd for them to be using dick this time. I do think Dave has been getting increasingly vulgar though and I don't like it when he is incorporated into the songs.

I thought the fight with the gloves was hilarious and it didn't feel out of place even though we haven't seen that kind of interaction between Bret & Jemaine before. I did think the hug at the end was cute but when Jemaine asked for it I cringed a bit coz it felt really forced and odd.

I loved the bit with Jemaine and the hansome cab driver.

The only episode I was frustrated with was the first one.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:23 pm

JulesJules wrote:I save my serious examinations for Mad Men. :lol:
Yup. The more I watch the more I get out of that one. It reminds me of the Sopranos very much in many ways. And that's a good thing.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Val2150 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:35 pm

I really, really enjoyed seeing the sweeter side of Jemaine in this one. I think he's a much better actor than he's often given credit for.

I have to say I liked the glove fight - it was unexpected, yes, but I think their relationship is much more like older/younger brother than friends/roommates, and that little scuffle was a perfect example of that. The cute little hug and the end made up for it anyway. :)

I still think Too Many D*cks was hilarious...I think they make raunchy/somewhat vulgar stuff work because when contrasted with how naive and innocent their characters are, it makes for a really funny effect. That's of course because it's used for the sake of the humor.....if it were included simply for shock value, it wouldn't work.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:51 pm

I loved Jemaine's bad dancing in the very first scene. I almost felt bad for him coz the dancing was so lame. But then I remembered that Jemaine is a natural born snake hips and that he was acting the bad dancing.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby JulesJules » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:08 pm

SheWolf wrote:
JulesJules wrote:I save my serious examinations for Mad Men. :lol:
Yup. The more I watch the more I get out of that one. It reminds me of the Sopranos very much in many ways. And that's a good thing.

Without venturing too far OT, I think Mad Men is better than The Sopranos, but MM creator Matt Weiner was involved in The Sopranos as well.

Ok, back on topic.

I loved Jemaine's horrid, clumpy dancing too. It was painful and funny to watch, all at the same time.

Jemaine was quite sweet in this episode, and Bret as harsh and unforgiving as I've ever seen him. For once, he was the wise one, knowing that nasty Australian girl was up to no good. Interesting how they swapped roles for a bit.
JulesJules

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 pm

Murray's reaction to Keitha at the restaurant was great (and he called her Kevina) & when she said she was off to wrestle a brown snake the way he said "oh my god" really cracked me up.

Keitha seemed so sincere when she told Big J that she loved him. I felt so badly for him when he was waiting on the street for her. :(
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Val2150 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:33 pm

That whole scene between them felt really genuine, didn't it? I'd love to see him in another romantic comedy type movie, it'd be interesting to see how he'd do with it.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby PatK » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Question!

Where the f was Mel this episode? I just realized she wasn't in it.
PatK
Giving the paper to the people

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:19 pm

Frankly I was glad we got a break from her. I think she was overused in a few eps season. I'm starting to think a little Mel goes a long way. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby JulesJules » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:24 pm

I love Mel. I think she's hysterical.
JulesJules

Postby The Talking Stove » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:48 pm

Mel is great but a bit of a one joke character...I think it was better not to have her involved in the episode. We already had Bret and Murray reacting against Keitha, Mel getting cross about it too would have been a bit predictable...
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?
The Talking Stove

Postby PatK » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:53 pm

The Talking Stove wrote:Mel is great but a bit of a one joke character...I think it was better not to have her involved in the episode. We already had Bret and Murray reacting against Keitha, Mel getting cross about it too would have been a bit predictable...

I totally agree. I was just wondering where she was since she's been written in a lot more this season than last season, IMO.
PatK

Postby Kiwifruitloop » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:12 pm

A brilliant episode, I thought. I've been quite surprised at the quality of S2 episodes so far, I really thought they would have started to run out of steam by now.

The ongoing Aussie rivalry is always hilarious, and has a particular resonance for Kiwi fans. A couple of stand-out moments:

- Jemaine's response to yet another question about the whereabouts of his wallet. "Yes I've got my wallet" in that high pitched whinge is possibly the funniest moment of the entire season.

- Murray's comment about J and Keith-a's imaginary children "wandering from city to city looking for the perfect wave". Sometimes the writing on this show skirts dangerously close to genius.
Kiwifruitloop
New arrival

Postby H.... » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:20 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:tonqe: :tonqe: :tonqe: :tonqe: :tonqe: :tonqe: :tonqe: :tonqe: :tonqe:
Throw us your potatoes!
H....
David Bowie's nipple antennae

PreviousNext

Return to HBO TV series