HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 6

The place for all Conchords HBO convo

Moderator: Venus

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 6

Postby bibliaddict » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Whambi wrote:For me, the glue that held this episode together was the epileptic dogs benefit song/remix with the Powerpoint presentation behind them. Just BRILLIANT! :clap:

I wonder who did the Powerpoint for them. It sure as hell wasn't Murray! Doug seems pretty computer literate, maybe he's freelancing since his forced retirement...or maybe Greg was drafted to do it.
Spandex Inspector #12
bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby deliriumtree » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:44 am

ASmallTurnip wrote:

:

Thank You Turnip!!!!

This episode was very distracting! lol Will definitely have to have another look-see! Kristen Wig was fine I thought. On Snl her characters are so out there I was a bit worried, but she wasn't in every scene and did pretty good I thought. Loved the epileptic dog benefit, that was too freakin funny! I also liked that Murray took charge at the end and just kind of fixed everything for them. I enjoyed seeing him take charge in a way that was actually helpful.

There was so much going on in this episode, and this is probably a dog groomer thing but.... In that scene where Kristen Wig says she's found her dog and has someone elses minature poodle. Did anyone else get sort of swoony when Jemaine said that was a different breed (than her actual dog). Ok... probably just me. lol I do like a man that can properly identify dog breeds though. :D Wonder if he needs a place to watch Eukanuba tournament on animal planet? :whistle:
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ladyqueen » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:52 am

When Murrary runs in to the recording room to separate the guys, I literally fell off my bed when I saw Jemaine's tongue :shock: hanging out.

That fight was hilarious. Oh, and I choked a bit when I saw Bret on top of Jemaine. :shock:

Wow. This episode did seem a bit off, but I loved it nonetheless. I don't really like Kristen Wiig's acting either, especially on SNL, but she was awkward enough in this episode, so she didn't seem out of place to me.

Ohhh what else???? Bret running away from Jemaine during the bathroom scene. Great, great, great. :lol:
Demon-woman you sit on a rock
Looking nice in your frock,
But you're scaring my livestock...
ladyqueen
New arrival

Postby Deirdre » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:33 am

ladyqueen wrote:When Murrary runs in to the recording room to separate the guys, I literally fell off my bed when I saw Jemaine's tongue :shock: hanging out.

It went by so fast I wasn't sure he had the "Ack!" look on his face or if I just imagined it. Too funny!
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby halokiti » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:55 am

halokiti
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:06 am

deliriumtree wrote: Kristen Wig was fine I thought. On Snl her characters are so out there I was a bit worried, but she wasn't in every scene and did pretty good I thought. :
Me too. I was surprised how perfectly she fit in. She seemed kind of Coco-esque to me.

deliriumtree wrote: Wonder if he needs a place to watch Eukanuba tournament on animal planet? :whistle:
Or The Dog Show? :wink:

Jemaine's creepy hand - haha
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby PatK » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:26 am

charks wrote:I'm definitely a newbie on this board...but is it possible that I'm the only guy...male...dude...that watches?! :)

"I'm not gonna wear a ladies' wetsuit, I'm a man!"

Welcome to the club!
PatK
Giving the paper to the people

Postby onlyalways » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:15 am

Hey, new to the board, but not to FotC,

I ~LOVED~ this episode. One of my favorites this season, next to A New Cup and Unnatural Love. Definitely a little off- but maybe not in a bad way.

The first song was brilliant. I can't wait to listen to it tomorrow- might inspire me to go running in the morning. :)

Plus who knew Mel had such mad photoshop skills??
onlyalways
Keeping it funky

Postby ladyqueen » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:54 am

"1, 2, 3 and away we go!" Murray is such a dolt... I love Rhys :nod:
Demon-woman you sit on a rock
Looking nice in your frock,
But you're scaring my livestock...
ladyqueen
New arrival

Postby ardy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:33 am

where to begin...in no particular order:
...shorts
...legs
...the opening running scene (has been played back several times)
...loved the prince of parties spin move bret reprises in the park
...the dapper suit bret is wearing for his date
...how many times they say "pepilepsy"
...jemaine talking to the coat rack
...bret pointing out jemaine's creepy hand
...how jemaine laughs when bret hits him in the face with the basketball
...jemaine just dropping the chairs at the benefit
...shorts
...legs
...the fight scene with paper towel rolls
...jemaine...no glasses
...bret...with jemaine's glasses (so cute!)
...bret's guns
...jemaine's buns

seriously. these guys are the BEST. :supz:
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...
ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby halokiti » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:56 am

Lols. R Kelly Featuring Usher - Same Girl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN1SVSH40b4 I'm waiting for a In the Closet parody now.
Very enjoyable episode. FOTC and cute dogs, that's like cupcakes and ice cream.
My favorite parts:
-spectacular short shorts
-various workout outfits
-Bret dressing up as Jemaine.
-Mel's reaction to the above.
halokiti
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:09 am

SW, we're on the same page with this one. I thought Kristen Wiig was appropriately out there, but not too far. She was more real than any of her SNL characters. I especially liked her reaction when the owner of the brown puppy confronted her, saying "That's my dog".

So many fun moments . First time through, I had to switch to the Oscars to see Heath honored, so it took a second look today to finally see the first number. It was genius! The lyrics were brilliant, and the song really moved the plot along, more like in an opera or a musical than just singing a pop song. I loved it.
I loved the use of the BBC radio show story in the recording studio, with Murray questioning who's playing the piano as well as the fight among the instruments.
And how about the different bastardizations of the word epileptic? I think pepileptic was cute, but Jemaine's prophylactic was the topper.
Dave has such a way with words - precreate!
I think my new phrase for the week will be impromptu jazzercise!

I always thought the directory in Murray's building listed "Asian Massage 2" ? :dunno:

I've never heard Bret sing any better than on the second verse of the song I've been humming all day, "Think about the epileptic dogs", (another brilliant song with great lyrics) when he takes it to the stratosphere! Way to go, Bret!!

Speaking of voices, I liked Jemaine's answer to Kristen when she says "Speak of the devil" and he says something about an angel in the sexiest low voice he can muster.

I finally have my router fixed and can get On Demand, so of course the first thing I watched was Ep6 with my 90-year-old Mom. I noticed she was laughing as hard as I was at the lyrics to the epileptic dog song. Being the daughter of a veterinarian, the dog references were doubly enjoyable, simply side-splitting. Watching with closed captioning on, one thing came up that made me :roll2: : after the benefit and they're talking about the various breeds' reaction to the strobe, the captioning said Shi Tzu, but Murray said "Shiatsu" - too much!!!

(I wasn't crazy about the swordfight song - was it just me or were they way out of sync a couple of times?)
All in all, a funny episode, more viewings to come. :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby ASmallTurnip » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:46 am

halokiti wrote:http://jezebel.com/5159112/flight-of-the-conchords-are-both-in-love-with-a-sexy-lady
Where are you Turnip?

HEEEEEEEEE! Kiti, my fellow Jezebel! :D Tracie usually posts Conchords clips earlier in the day, but she only got to it late yesterday. I was all tucked up in bed in England by the time she posted it. But I was glad to see my Jezebelles fully appreciating the boys from Downunderer, even though I wasn't around. **Misty eyes.** Makes me so proud. Kiti, you MUST start commenting on Jez. You'd fit right in, girl. :wink:

PatK wrote:
charks wrote:I'm definitely a newbie on this board...but is it possible that I'm the only guy...male...dude...that watches?! :)

"I'm not gonna wear a ladies' wetsuit, I'm a man!"

Welcome to the club!

Please don't mind the ladies and our one-track minds. EVERYONE is welcome here, whether you're a man, a lady, a lady-man lady, or a man-lady man. After all, the Conchords have open minds, so it's only right that we do, too. :yawinkle: And the natural progression of discussion about each new episode generally means that the saucy revelry comes first. It's because it's not very complicated, you see. The Conchords' amazingly subtle humour often takes days or weeks or months or even YEARS to fully percolate through your brain. (And speaking for myself, it usually takes me quite a while find anything interesting or amusing to say about a new episode - I'm slow, man. And I love reading really great and/or hilarious analysis of the Conchords, but the good stuff doesn't usually pop up until later, when everyone's had time to let it all sink in.)

So celebrating the lewd joy in seeing Bret straddle his platonic life-partner is just an easy way for us to start to appreciate an ep. If, due to personal biology, your brain can skip right over the naughty bits, you should just happily plow right into the meaty stuff. We love that! Can't wait to read your groovy take on the Conchords!

Oh, and wetsuits are fully optional around here. I never wear mine. Too sweaty. But I always wear my goggles and snorkel when I'm on WTF. It would just feel wrong without them.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby Blackbird » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:50 am

Nope! I don't often post but I'm around. I have to say I didn't have a clue about which white shorts everyone was referring to until someone actually posted the still. It's kind of funny how all the stuff that completely slipped my mind is the main topic of the thread so far.

I definitely thought the end of this one was a gold mine of laughs. When Bret stands up and shouts, "This is the remix!" I just lost it--I couldn't stop laughing! Oh man, they would bring strobe lights to a benefit for epileptic dogs.

"It didn't go perfectly, but... You know, we were..."

"It was a tragedy."

:clap:

I'm laughing just thinking about it.
Blackbird
New arrival

Postby Bad Atom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:11 am

As one of the few other guys posting here, I often feel like I'm in a minority. :) This was a good episode, with several laugh-out-loud lines and moments. And three songs this week, and they were all pretty good.

(On a personal note, I'm especially happy that they threw ninjas into the "Weapon of Choice" video, so now I have an excuse to put ninjas in my new video game. :D)

I liked the following things:

[*]"New Zealand: Ewe Should Come" The goofy posters continue to amuse me.

[*]Pepileptic? Prophylactic? This show gets a lot of mileage out of unusual words and pronunciations. And the song lyrics were especially clever this week.

[*]Bret and Jemaine's sibling rivalry - badmouthing each other in front of Brahbrah, the glove slap and fight(s) were all very funny. I think this is the meanest we've ever seen the guys behave, yet it didn't feel out of character. I have to commend the acting - they've both improved quite a bit this year.

[*]Impromptu Jazzercise?

[*]Bret wearing Jemaine's glasses, they actually suited him well. Mel's reaction was hilarious!

[*]Jemaine and his glued-on beard, talking to the coat rack. (As someone who is two steps from being legally blind, I could sympathize.)

[*]Murray's confusion in the recording studio, and the mixing guy's silent reaction to the whole thing.

[*]The songs were all well-done, although they still have to face what I've been calling the "stand-alone" test.

[*]Mel with a tambourine, and "This is the remix!"

I disliked the following things:

[*]The plot was very standard sitcom formula. (Well, except for the whole epileptic dog thing...) Fortunately, we haven't seen these characters in that kind of situation before, so what is old seems new.

[*]Kristen Wiig was okay, but I think she was actually a little too 'normal'. A little more quirkiness would have been better. And the Barbara/Brahbrah thing was odd and not really funny.

[*]So the sudden reappearance of all the furniture was never explained, and on top of that, Murray can afford to rent a recording studio and stage a benefit too? I know money-related situations on TV are rarely realistic, but four episodes ago a $2.79 cup broke the bank.

[*]Where did they get all those dogs? Shouldn't they be in jail again?

[*]The sound was out of sync a couple of times during the "Weapon of Choice" song, and I know it wasn't my computer. :)

[*]So Brahbrah thought they were gay, then Mel shows up for the punchline. Lame.

[*]And while I see the ladies here are going nuts over the short shorts and other assorted :thud: things, all I could say was "Seriously, those guys are really white."
Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

PreviousNext

Return to HBO TV series