It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:08 am

HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 8

The place for all Conchords HBO convo

Moderator: Venus

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 8

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:35 pm

So it takes me till Tuesday morning to have any kind of insight at all, cuz I have to watch the first showing Sunday night and interpret it through Elliot's snoring, periodic waking and claiming the show makes no sense, and it's a little difficult. Tuesday morning is the first time I see the HBO rerun, alone.

I will say Sunday evening I was disappointed about no Bus Driver's Song and only the little teaser during the closing credits. Kept nudging Elliot, (to wake him) and telling him, here it comes, here it comes and then there it didn't. But this morning, the light shown. There was no need for the BD song because the second (or sub would that be?) plot was the Bus Driver's Song. PM Bryan was living it yet again. My heart went out to him.

Not very good with the 80's artists, but there were a couple of shots of Jemaine that looked very late Robert Palmer-ish, (jeez I miss that guy) to me.
But seeing Bret with the long bangs and beard, with the high collar when he was singing definitely reminds me someone. ARGH! Who is it? There must have been ONE other man in the 80s who played the synths and was old enough for some fine facial hair!!! Thoughts? Anyone?

Prince?

Re: Jemaine's ability to look evil - there were some scenes in Eagle vs Shark where he appeared downright nasty - he's a very good actor.

All in all on second viewing, once again, another brilliant episode.
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.
slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:03 pm

Well after a "meh" reaction to the last two, I have to say I really loved this one. It was them at their silly, daffy best. I liked the PM a lot more this time around, I don't know why. I felt sooo bad for him at the end! And I noticed Lucy Lawless was totally trying not to laugh during the scene with her and Brian in Murray's office.

I LOVED the irritated look Jemaine gave to Murray when he said they needed someone Maori. That was priceless! The evil zombie glare was great too - he really is a great actor.

And I thought they both looked kinda hot in the "Fashion" video.... :oops:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby rachaellove » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:49 pm

I saw someone mention earlier that the line "It's New Zealand Town" was a pull from the movie Chinatown, but did anyone else catch that the end shot is exactly like the last shot in Chinatown. Clever, very clever.

Also, screencap of the new poster is here. Good eye, guys!
"I'm a person. Bret's a person. You're a person. That person over there is a person. And every person deserves to be treated like a person."
rachaellove
Giving the paper to the people

Postby SheWolf » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:22 pm

Rewatched it and still love it. I don't think the song is very funny but it's catchy and I love the video. Everything to do with the hair gel is great, particularly Jemaine's reactions to it. Is there really a blue goo for the hair these days? I remember using Dep, the green one, but there was also a pink one. And I recall a whole tub of it spilling out in my friend's car as we were headed to some show, the smell and stickiness never went away.

What song were they doing in the club when Jemaine was howling and on his knees?

halokiti wrote:Is Jemaine really part Maori?
Yis. There is a thread somewhere in the Jemaine section that contains his interview with a Maori type radio show where he discusses it quite a bit. His dad is Australian and his mum is Maori. He speaks the language as well.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby charks » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:30 pm

Absolutely loved "Fashion". Spot on early '80s! I know...I was in high school then.... 8)

I definitely got an (very) early Ministry vibe from the song...as in "With Sympathy" era Ministry before they went really dark/weird.
charks
New arrival

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:36 pm

I saw someone mention earlier that the line "It's New Zealand Town" was a pull from the movie Chinatown, but did anyone else catch that the end shot is exactly like the last shot in Chinatown. Clever, very clever.

Also the same last shot as the great SCTV sketch "Polynesian Town". LOL!

ITA that good New Romantics never had beards, but I certainly saw my share of lousy ones, and that vid made me laugh.
Is Jemaine really part Maori?

Yis. There is a thread somewhere in the Jemaine section that contains his interview with a Maori type radio show where he discusses it quite a bit. His dad is Australian and his mum is Maori. He speaks the language as well
Yis! It's in the photo thread. It is worth looking up. As has been mentioned, he sounds very shy and breathless during the interview. It is unbearably sweet.

I definitely got an (very) early Ministry vibe from the song...as in "With Sympathy" era Ministry before they went really dark/weird.
Yes! The "Everyday is Halloween" era! LOL!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:41 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:
Yes! The "Everyday is Halloween" era! LOL!
Holy blast from the past! My friends and I were into early Ministry, then didn't get the memo when they became something else entirely and we saw them live but it was awesome. I had a crush on Alain Jourgensen for like 15 mintues and met him, he was so pretty underneath all that beard and gunk. He was on the Phil Donahue show once and it was fabulous. The title The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste still makes me laugh. Ah good times. I was heavily involved in the Halloween everyday era, got called a freak at school by the jocks who couldn't even read, date raped and got killed in various drunk driving incidents. I'm still bitter, can ya tell? LOL.
Last edited by SheWolf on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:43 pm

charks wrote:Absolutely loved "Fashion". Spot on early '80s! I know...I was in high school then.... 8)

An early-Ministry reference! I thought I was the only one who remembered early Ministry! I loved the "Fashion" song and video in this episode. Brilliant! A great flashback to my misspent youth! New York, London, Paris, Munich ... Wellington. :lol:

I loved this ep and I was actually glad that they didn't do the full Bus Driver's Song and just gave the subtle hints to it. I don't think it could be done that well in an episode, so I'm happy to not see it at all. I really liked the way they handled it.

I was holding out hope that Taika would make a cameo as one of the "Mexican" Maoris.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Zap » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:06 pm

Whambi wrote: Also Jemaine is reading a book called Folk Tales in bed when Bret throws the empty jar at him. Could it be a subtle shout-out to this What The Folk website? :yawinkle:

I thought that was possibly a reference to Tales of the Maori, a show he did with Taika back in the day. I can't see well enough, but suspect if you zoom in on the title of the book it would read something like FOLK TALES of New Zealand or FOLK TALES of the Maori.
Zap
Lost but happy at sea

Postby rachaellove » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:25 pm

This may have been brought up in a different episode thread, but am I the only one noticing Bret's has worn the same socks in every episode this season?
"I'm a person. Bret's a person. You're a person. That person over there is a person. And every person deserves to be treated like a person."
rachaellove

Postby SheWolf » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:38 pm

I've noticed.

And a spoiler pic for next week's ep "Wingmen." I'm far too innocent to inquire about what Jemaine might be doing. :halo: :whistle:

90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:46 pm

I was holding out hope that Taika would make a cameo as one of the "Mexican" Maoris.
Me, too! You just knew that he was trying to get Jemaine to crack up at that whole "Maori warrior" bit. I am really looking forward to those two working together again.

And a spoiler pic for next week's ep "Wingmen." I'm far too innocent to inquire about what Jemaine might be doing.
Um, brushing something? Lightly? :whistle: Wait, his hand is touching the bedside table.

An early-Ministry reference! I thought I was the only one who remembered early Ministry! I
Nooooo, you former creatures of the night! :lol: I was an indie rocker/nu-waver/punk fellow traveler in the 80s, but I attended way more Goth dance nights than I want to admit...

Bwah! and in my banner Jemaine totally has an Andrew Eldritch from the March Violets look workin'!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mockingbird » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:58 pm

He's reading a book, you naughty girls. You can see it in his hand. He's in the mood... for reading. :tsk: :lol:

How nice to see so many of my former goth darlings here! I don't think I owned a piece of colored clothing until I was 22, lol.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:05 pm

I noticed something else - look at how snugly Bret is tucked into bed! Did Jemaine do that?? Bret sure didn't do it himself! :lol:
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby rachaellove » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:15 pm

SheWolf wrote:Image

These aren't their beds.. Where could they be? Hmm..
rachaellove

PreviousNext

Return to HBO TV series