What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
nonchalant obsession
 Post subject: Re: Well there you have it.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:55 pm 
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

mockingbird wrote:
...they can't just break up with us like this - over the internet, no less - and then just go on their merry way like nothing ever happened. I never even got to do the teary half-drunk phone call in the middle of the night, and I'm pretty sure that's required in these situations.

:roll2:

And your list? Perfect. It's the least they could do. Image If they just did those 4 little things, I promise I would be satisfied.

closet jemainiac
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:20 pm 
---

mockingbird wrote:
You know, the more I think about this, the more I feel like Bret and Jemaine should be doing more to help us through this difficult and painful time. I mean, they can't just break up with us like this - over the internet, no less - and then just go on their merry way like nothing ever happened. I never even got to do the teary half-drunk phone call in the middle of the night, and I'm pretty sure that's required in these situations.

So, here are some ideas for how B & J could help ease us through this transition.

1. Come to each WTFers house and make profiteroles.
2. Write a song in honor of each of us.
3. Don stubbies and wash our cars.
4. Make a third season.

I mean really, guys. After all we've been through together.

:lol:

I think writing a song for us, specifically, is in order. Then maybe a video of them performing it in stubbies :D

vmh
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:43 pm 
A tasty piece of pastry

closet jemainiac wrote:
mockingbird wrote:
You know, the more I think about this, the more I feel like Bret and Jemaine should be doing more to help us through this difficult and painful time. I mean, they can't just break up with us like this - over the internet, no less - and then just go on their merry way like nothing ever happened. I never even got to do the teary half-drunk phone call in the middle of the night, and I'm pretty sure that's required in these situations.

So, here are some ideas for how B & J could help ease us through this transition.

4. Make a third season.

:lol:

I think writing a song for us, specifically, is in order. Then maybe a video of them performing it in stubbies :D

I like this idea. :nod:

Digitoonie
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:14 pm 
Lost but happy at sea

For all 1470 members!? That would take some time... :hrm:

closet jemainiac
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:24 pm 
---

Digitoonie wrote:
For all 1470 members!? That would take some time... :hrm:

I think one song for all of us would suffice :rock:

vmh
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:45 pm 
A tasty piece of pastry

After reading everyone's responses, I feel like I should be more saddened by this news but I'm not. I expected it. Plus I'm not particularly attached to Bret McClegnie and Jemaine Clemaine. I know the characters are based on themselves (10 years ago!) but I still see them as characters and not as them! I'm happy with their decision. If they did continue with it, their hearts wouldn't be in it and I respect that they didn't sell out. Because if they did, they had better be getting BANK! I don't know how much HBO paid them but for the amount of work they did, they were probably underpaid. I also respect that they chose their families and lives over their television careers. We won't get to see them on TV every week like we used to but it's not like they're retiring anytime soon. They're laying low but they're still working. I'm glad that they haven't given up the Conchords completely. We still have that UK/NZ/OZ tour to look forward to and maybe another US tour within the next few years. Plus, Jem + Taika's vampire project, Despicable Me, Predicament, Dukes and Broncos, Bret's film writing endeavor. Who knows what else? Maybe Bret and Hannah will revive The Lovers Band once more. The series opened a lot of doors for them and they could do just about whatever they want now.

closet jemainiac
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 pm 
---

The Lovers Band? :shock:

vmh
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:13 pm 
A tasty piece of pastry

closet jemainiac wrote:
The Lovers Band? :shock:

Yep. http://whatthefolk.net/forum/search.php?keywords=lovers+band&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

But we have yet to hear anything from this. Didn't Bret once joke about wanting to have a touring family band? :lol:

SheWolf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:57 am 
Boom King!

They've already written a song about me, well J did, in fact I am named after a song so all is good. :yawinkle:

vmh wrote:
After reading everyone's responses, I feel like I should be more saddened by this news but I'm not. I expected it. Plus I'm not particularly attached to Bret McClegnie and Jemaine Clemaine. I know the characters are based on themselves (10 years ago!) but I still see them as characters and not as them!
Ditto that in triplicate. I love the characters but it was those characters that introduced me to the real B&J who I adore much more. The more I've grown to love the men behind the characters the less attached I've become to those characters. They are just a small element of what B&J are capable of and that's what they've been telling us all along. They've always said that FOTC wasn’t a full time gig and implied that they never wanted it to become one. It became a full time gig because of the show which has run its course. I’d much rather have them go out on top with their integrity and their friendship in tact. I prefer to always think of the FOTC as the guys who made a great show and knew when to stop. It’s lovely that nonch has confidence that they could keep at it indefinitely but I trust that B&J know better than we do what they are capable of and, more importantly, where there hearts are.

vmh wrote:
The series opened a lot of doors for them and they could do just about whatever they want now.
Ditto that in quadruplicate. They are in an enviable position now. None of us are privy to what they want but the world is their oyster and I’m proud that they have earned that position honestly.

closet jemainiac
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:25 am 
---

SheWolf wrote:
They've already written a song about me, well J did, in fact I am named after a song so all is good. :yawinkle:

vmh wrote:
After reading everyone's responses, I feel like I should be more saddened by this news but I'm not. I expected it. Plus I'm not particularly attached to Bret McClegnie and Jemaine Clemaine. I know the characters are based on themselves (10 years ago!) but I still see them as characters and not as them!
Ditto that in triplicate. I love the characters but it was those characters that introduced me to the real B&J who I adore much more. The more I've grown to love the men behind the characters the less attached I've become to those characters. They are just a small element of what B&J are capable of and that's what they've been telling us all along. They've always said that FOTC wasn’t a full time gig and implied that they never wanted it to become one. It became a full time gig because of the show which has run its course. I’d much rather have them go out on top with their integrity and their friendship in tact. I prefer to always think of the FOTC as the guys who made a great show and knew when to stop. It’s lovely that nonch has confidence that they could keep at it indefinitely but I trust that B&J know better than we do what they are capable of and, more importantly, where there hearts are.

vmh wrote:
The series opened a lot of doors for them and they could do just about whatever they want now.
Ditto that in quadruplicate. They are in an enviable position now. None of us are privy to what they want but the world is their oyster and I’m proud that they have earned that position honestly.

yis

LauraK
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:01 am 
Boom King!

mockingbird wrote:

4. Make a third season.

Heck, if they come to my house, I'll cook or bake whatever they want while they lounge around in their stubbies, toiling over the song they're composing for me. If I have time, I'll wash their car. They don't need to make a 3rd season...just stay at my house a while..... :whistle:

:D ;)

Red
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:10 am 
Getting lewd with the food

LauraK wrote:
mockingbird wrote:

4. Make a third season.

Heck, if they come to my house, I'll cook or bake whatever they want while they lounge around in their stubbies, toiling over the song they're composing for me. If I have time, I'll wash their car. They don't need to make a 3rd season...just stay at my house a while..... :whistle:

I fully approve of either one of these plans! But, Laura, you can expect me on your doorstep shortly after their arrival should your idea actually happen. :D

closet jemainiac
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:16 am 
---

LauraK wrote:
mockingbird wrote:

4. Make a third season.

Laura, you are too much! :lol:

mockingbird
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:03 pm 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

SheWolf wrote:

vmh wrote:

vmh wrote:

I totally agree with all this, and yet I'm still sad there won't be a third season. I don't want them to do anything they aren't into doing, I don't want them to feel pressured or become HBO's male prostitutes - I want them to WANT to do a third season, I want them to feel like they COULD, at least some day. So while I am proud of them for their artistic integrity and that's one of the things I have always admired most about them - I wish their artistic integrity was leading them in the direction of a third season. It's the finality of it that is making me sad. Not, "We're going on hiatus" or "We're not making a third season at this time" - it's "We're not making a third season." Period. FOREVER, is how they made it sound. So yeah I'm kind of bummed about that. I know the show is only a small part of who they are as creative people, but it was a very high profile and accessible part of it. It was a *dependable* part. My fear is that they will disappear into the New Zealand sunset, never to be seen by the rest of the world again. I can totally see this happening. They get involved in all kinds of delightful and funny and offbeat Kiwi projects with all their delightful and funny and offbeat Kiwi friends, and it's all wonderful but nobody outside of NZ ever gets to see it. So yeah I'm sure they will continue on, I'm just paranoid that I'll have to move to NZ to enjoy it.

LauraK
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:17 pm 
Boom King!

You should tell them to not hide their lights under that NZ bushel, mock, in your Thank You note to them. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next