S2 Rewatch: Episode 2 - "A New Cup"

The place for all Conchords HBO convo

Moderator: Venus

S2 Rewatch: Episode 2 - "A New Cup"

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:25 pm

Post your thoughts here when you get the DVD!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Re: S2 Rewatch: Episode 2 - "A New Cup"

Postby Emafer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:33 am

K, I don't know if I'm posting this in the right thread. But I JUST saw this episode for the first time as a rerun on HBO. For some sad sad reason I missed it the first time round. DYING! I think that it might be my fave out of ALLL the episodes of any season. I was belly laughing out loud through the whole thing. And I have to say that Murray was at his FINEST. I had tears in my eyes when he's talking about the daddy guitar and the mummy guitar and the whole "Gordon why are you home so late". Oh my God, still cracking up over that. And Bret, sweet sweet Bret. I love when Jemains is all like, "Bret, when you said you're good at six was that true?" blahahahahaha
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:41 pm

It is definitely one of the very best. i had watched the Sugalumps video before I saw it, but it didn't prepare me for how good the episode is as a whole.

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby closet jemainiac » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:03 pm

This was my favorite episode of all time..... Everyone was at their best...perfect songs...when I first saw sugalumps I started squeeling in delight at Jemaine's dance moves....Yes, Em that whole bit about the guitars and "youd have to be deaf to hear that" were priceless..... I just knew that line would have cracked the guys up and then once I finally got to see outtakes..hilarious!....It was even more rewarding when Bret said exactly what I said when I first saw it..."That doesnt make any sense! That's awesome!" :roll2:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Faith » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:07 pm

One of my favorite parts:

"It's dark, Bret."
"Yeah, I know."
"What expression is on your face?"
"Umm. Guilty expression. What expression is on your face?"
"Sad because we don't have any electricity, but satisfied because I was right about the cup."
"That's a weird expression."

:roll2:
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Ratashak » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:45 am

Is it possible to wear a DVD out in one spot from watching one episode over and over? If so, this episode will be worn out on my copy. So funny! Guilty expression on my face while I watch it in the dark :)
Ratashak
Keeping it funky

Postby helgecko » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:01 am

It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image
helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Bad Atom » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:02 am

I was reading my thoughts on this episode from when it originally aired. Let's see if I still agree with myself...

I liked the following things: The mug drama, the return of the Prince of Parties, the explanation of the plot to "Pretty Woman", every second Mel was onscreen, the descriptions of facial expressions in the dark, Bret on the job again, the reappearance of the police lady from "Mugged", and the Nigerian internet not-a-scam-after-all.

:thumb:

I disliked the following things: The cliched "power goes out" punchline, Bret's truly creepy attempt at whoring himself out, and hearing the word "prostitute" 361 times in 30 minutes. It's not one of those words that gets funnier the more you hear it.

I think I was talking about Bret whoring Jemaine out, which was still creepy but funny. "He'll go all the way - and he's clean."

I lost it when Murray said "You'd have to be deaf to hear that!", referring to Bret's non-existent guitar. That's my nomination for FOTC Quote of the Year.

Rhys Darby - GENIUS. The outtake is hilarious - "That doesn't make any sense!"

The two songs that were in the show were okay - they integrated with the story nicely but I wonder how they'll fare separately.

I still think "Sugalumps" is way overrated but "Prostitute" has grown on me, it's one of the best songs of the season.
Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby mockingbird » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:15 am

Bad Atom wrote:...and the Nigerian internet not-a-scam-after-all.

Oh man, that is the funniest thing ever. :lol:

I wish I liked "Prostitute" better...I remember reading about how this was a song J. always wanted to make... it's just not one of my faves. "Sugalumps", however, cracks me up. :thumb:
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:11 pm

oh yes! Mel! I forgot about her whole "massage samurai" and "Im joking, Im not, I am, Im not" bits

I must say...Kristen deserved an emmy nom for supporting cast as well as Rhys....the show would NOT be the same without them.

My current favorite line of Murray's is (other than you'd have to deaf...) is "Please be the Maori" in that whiny kind of begging voice... :lol:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby seasick_sarah » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:36 am

I think this is my favourite ep of all time too. What's not to love about Bret's "creepy" attempt to whore Jemaine out? That bit was so cute! Or before they swapped, and he wanted to stick to hugs until he got more confident? :love: (Where's the "awwww" smiley...?)
seasick_sarah
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Bad Atom » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:13 am

I think it was creepy the first time I watched it because it was so un-Bret-like. The second time around it was less creepy and more funny.

And I *loved* Mel's reactions to the guys barely touching her during the massage.
Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:03 pm

I had to run the massage and Sugalumps scenes again watching it with friends because the laughter drowned out all the good lines. After the second time, one of my friends goes "how do they keep straight faces?" I ran the outtakes part for her. She got it.

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby biscuit » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm

The absolute best thing about the whole episode was Mel's 'I would, I wouldn't, I would!' :roll2:

And also at the very end when the cup is smashed and Bret says 'You'll be pleased about that...'

I just adore the whole thing. Of the songs 'Prostitute' was a favourite right off the bat, while I couldn't really see the greatness of 'Sugarlumps' until a while later. (And now I'm sort of sick of it, even if I recognise that it's a good song...)
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby Damo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:47 pm

Faith wrote:One of my favorite parts:

"It's dark, Bret."
"Yeah, I know."
"What expression is on your face?"
"Umm. Guilty expression. What expression is on your face?"
"Sad because we don't have any electricity, but satisfied because I was right about the cup."
"That's a weird expression."

:rolls:

One of the best lines, ever!
Damo
New arrival

Return to HBO TV series