HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season One

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:05 pm

I can't figure out what he says before that. Murray's response to his mumble was "I mean a man." :? I keep watching it and the only word I think I hear is different- maybe-I think--- :que:

The_Elefunk
Giving the paper to the people

Postby The_Elefunk » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:23 pm

I think he says Led Zepplin???
Shush baby.
Shush.

Count down to my birthday guys: October 13!!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:36 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he says Led Zepplin, which makes Murray's "No, I mean a man" even funnier.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:00 am

Good ears, guys! I don't think I would have every caught that one. hmmm...Led Zepplin...I think I'll have to watch it again.... :wink:

Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Amaria » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:03 pm

So this episode had...

a) Jermaine humping me through the screen and other equally scarring dance moves.
b) A camera phone that was literally, a camera and a phone (which by and by, I thought they had pawned away in the second episode!)
c) A mild case of the Stockholm syndrome.
d) A discussion of Kiwi accents!
e) And more!

In short: I loved it. Best (or bist) one yet (or yit).

gr67
New arrival

Postby gr67 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:05 am

This episode was better then the second one for sure. I just cant get into the studio versions of the songs. They just dont have that charm to them. Its really bothering me.

Other than that the show is actually growing on me. Murray is my favorite character at the moment.

Also does anyone notice how the guys dont change their vocal ranges as much in these studio versions. I really miss that.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:46 am

gr67 wrote:
Also does anyone notice how the guys dont change their vocal ranges as much in these studio versions. I really miss that.

I think their songs are much better live that the studio versions we are hearing on the HBO show. The songs have lost much in the transition I feel. They are well produced and meant to be palatable to the ears I guess. However, as you said they don't change their vocal ranges as much and when they do its much more controlled and therefore makes it less funny IMO. The humour seems to have been washed right out :cry:

That's the beauty of them live, when they let rip with the vocals and really get in to it. In these video clips I've felt they were so staged that all the funny insaneness and spontaneity has gone. Of course, the lyrics themselves are still good and laughable, but without that extra *something* the live songs have, they pale in comparison to my ears. I'm wishing they came and went throughout the show like they did with the BBC series. And that we saw them used at gigs on occasion so we could get the 'live' feel.

If Bret breaks in to song next week or whenever with If You're Into It, it'll be a similar situation as the BBC series I am sure, but that came out of nowhere and I nearly fell of my chair laughing at the twist. I wonder if it will be as funny now on TV as the whole gag about them going on each others dates has been well used in episode one, so we'd be half expecting Jemaine to be there somewhere.

Bah, Mugged was the best of the three so far, and had more 'moments' thanks to Murray and Dave (who is slowly growing on me, but his 'dick' status is going to be hard to shake now). Bret and Jemaine are good, but I'm just not finding them as funny right now. I often think Jemaine looks awkward lip synching in the videos whereas Bret appears far more comfortable and relaxed and you hardly notice his lip synching. He also appears far more relaxed anyways during those. If it is intended Jemaine be so plank like, then ok, I can understand that, but its jarring and annoying to my eyes and ears as I am so used to his stage persona where he is far more relaxed and the charmer *waggles hand* I realise in the series they made changes to their 'characters' and had Jemaine become more mean and Bret IIRC a little more dumb, so they could have a story arc and all that, but for long time fans who love their live stuff and who really dug the radio series as it was so bloody good (the BBC excel at radio productions like this anways, but hell Conchords make great radio) this TV series pales in comparison. And that is maybe where I fall down now. I try not to compare, and I made sure I read no spoilers for Mugged this week, so I could watch it cold and with no ideas in my head, and while better, it was still not grabbing me. And afterward, I sat down and compared to the radio series, which had me laughing again :roll:

I know I sound like I really am complaining about the series, but I do see some positives. Just not enough to have me laughing lots throughout the show, its more like a giggle or a smile on occasion. There have been some great moments from Murray/Brain/Rhys who has been the best thing in the show so far, but he alone is not enough to provide the funny.

I enjoy Mel's character also, but I hope they take it no further in her amourours desires as atm, that is exactly why its amusing. Anything more graphic or definate would have me cringing like I did at part 3 of the radio series.

Some of the lines in Mugged were great, The Bloke was giggling, but I wasn't feeling them :( I did like the 'dead' 'did' conversation and the remembering Jemaine, after we find out Bret had not told anyone for 2 days, and then the policewoman's impersonation of Jemaine.

I'm going to watch the remainder of the series, but alas the Conchords TV show has pretty much lost me already. I live in hope I'll enjoy it as it progresses and find more funny in it, but as with lots of TV, if its not worked on you within a few episodes, chances are its not going to.

I'm really glad so many people are loving the show and I am chuffed to bits and proud as hell of the guys for making it. Its just lost on me :dunno: Of course I am still a fan and look forward to new songs, the album (live in hope its more live than studio, or if its studio they cut loose still) and hopefully when the guys are ready, see them live doing what they do best.

beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby beck » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:54 am

I agree, this is the best episode of the three. I watched it on my computer in the lounge, lauging my buttouche off, with all of my flatmates wondering what the hell I was laughing at.

I loved the part where Bret ran away. To quote Buster Keaton, "their timing is impeccable". I just really enjoyed watching it. It was a nice way to wind down after a day of work. I quite like how the songs are kind of 'in their heads', no one else around notices that they're belting out a song. I think that's really cute.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

Goodbye Babylon
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Goodbye Babylon » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:04 pm

I've just watched it on u tube but I think a bit got cut out coz Murray has a yellow paintball mark on his back but I didn'nt see him get shot :?

I absolutely loved the third ep. More jokes, more characters, crazy storyline, more mentions about monkeys. I really like it how the series has a casual feel to it when the characters talk to each other. They dont say something really clever and rehersed its like how people in reality would talk to their mates.

Its also interesting to hear american accents because I never really noticed it before until you hear an american accent against a kiwi accent.
a squirrel is the same as a can.....
when there is a bb gun in my hand

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:20 pm

Goodbye Babylon wrote:I've just watched it on u tube but I think a bit got cut out coz Murray has a yellow paintball mark on his back but I didn'nt see him get shot :?

No cut, you don't see that, only fill in the blank that Dave shot Murray in the back :lol:

Ummm the episodes are up on *cough* torrent *cough* sites btw. Much better quality than YouTube clips.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:43 pm

Sherry wrote:
Goodbye Babylon wrote:I've just watched it on u tube but I think a bit got cut out coz Murray has a yellow paintball mark on his back but I didn'nt see him get shot :?

No cut, you don't see that, only fill in the blank that Dave shot Murray in the back :lol:

I saw other people questioning that scene elsewhere, but the fact that you don't see it -- but you've seen Dave being Dave and Murray being Murray -- makes the whole thing even funnier for me.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:02 pm

I agree with Sherry about the songs. It's like the life has been beaten out of them and the music videos feel out of place. As far as I'm concerned, they can just take them out and it would have a better flow to the show. If only there were some way to have them playing be more organic to the show, like have them actually play a gig, a really bad gig. Just a thought.... :dunno:

Mugged has been my favorite episode, also. Lot's of great bits and it seems more relaxed. One example for Jemaine is when Bret walks away from him and Mel. His comment then seemed more natural and had personality, just made me laugh harder.

And of course, the mumbling is so funny. Thanks Elefunk and Indigo- Bret does seem to say "Led Zepplin". Loved that bit, Murray is too funny. :nana:

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:31 pm

I guess I'm in the minority :? I'm enjoying the videos in the series. The dancing in the Mugged episode has had me in hysterics (the good kind, of course). Hopefully, a future episode will have them playing a gig. I'd like to see that :D.
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:24 pm

If I were to see the videos apart from the show, I would like them more. I loved Bret's dancing around and then flying over Jemaine's back during Rhym vs Hip hop-very funny! Now, the studio versions of the songs lack the impromtu feel they have live and some of the choreography seems too stiff. I'm hoping that they loosen up as they get use to the cameras on them.

When they make the song into a "music video", it upsets the rhythm and continuity of the comedy, taking me away from the story. I think if they could integrate the music with the comedy, it would make a stronger show all around. I'd love to see them just bust out into song on the street but *not* turn into a video, it would be funnier. Maybe passerby's join in or just stare at them for being the freaks they are? It is set in New York City-right?! Stranger things have happened.

Jemaine
The Hiphopapotamus

Postby Jemaine » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Oh Sherry! You're such a whinging pom!

Shuuush would ya? Stop watching it!

Return to “HBO TV series”