What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC

Sherry
 Post subject: Re: Receiving messages
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:01 pm 
Professional Blonde

SheWolf wrote:
Sherry wrote:
I don't want to really shut the forum down or make it non viewable to people who are not registered (I find that off putting and unfriendly for a large site)
I wondered why the forum could be viewed by non registered members but I guess that explains your position. I do find it unusual though. It kind of feels like the whole world is lurking - not that I'm paranoid or anything. :eh: :lol:

I don't like forums that are closed off to non members to read and browse. I find it very off putting and usually it stops me from joining any forum if it is a requirement you register before you can view it. Its then a pain to delete the account if the forum isn't to my liking. I am part of some huge forums and not a one of them is hidden from non members. All are on general public view.

I don't see the need to make this kind of forum private to the masses. Loads of people just want to read up on stuff and not sign up. I know another Conchords forum is private and I used to read it from time to time till it closed its doors. Now it wants me to sign up to read it I no longer bother. Ah well.

Maybe if the forum was just that, a forum, I'd feel differently but as its attached to a large, extensive site on the Conchords also its all interwoven and I don't wish to lose that side of it. Besides as I don't go overly personal on the Conchords here I don't feel there is anything to hide from public view. Jemaine, Bret, Rhys, James... they can all read what you lot are saying about them without having to worry about logging in to view it all :D

indigo_jones
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:56 am 
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

I'm with Sherry. I don't like closed forums, unless they start closed and are really just for small groups of people to talk about personal stuff, and even then, people can still get in surprisingly easily. For a fan forum? It just doesn't make sense.

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

ASmallTurnip
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:26 pm 
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

I have to say, I feel the same way about closed forums. For one, it puts people off (I know I wouldn't join one), but most importantly, it implicitly sends a message that outsiders are not welcome. And that's kind of unfriendly towards people who might otherwise be wonderful contributers in due course.

I'm a lurker. I am. On any website I check in on, I take a looooooong time to read and get comfortable with the subjects that come up. I like to be able to learn the culture of a forum before I jump in. Each one has its own style and language, and it's really important for me to be aware of that before I start commenting. Heck, I read this one for almost a year before I felt comfy enough to speak up. So I'd hate to see the ability to lurk taken away. Lurking isn't sinister, I promise! It's just that some of us are shy and like to take our time. Lurkers are great, and although they're silent, they're an important part of any open forum. I am the Lurker's Advocate!

Sherry, you absolutely deserve time off from the Conchords' coal face. Frankly, I'm in awe of how you sustained the interest this long. But I really appreciate everything you've done here for us newcomers, I really, really do. And bloody hell - trying to do this when you've been flooded out of your home and without a proper computer and WITH A BABY? Holy crap, you're a saint!

I agree with Wolfie that the spammers are flippin' annoying, and if there's anything useful we plebs can do, just say the word. Maybe you can loan Indigo your scythe so she can go all medieval on those spammy spam spammers' arses. A little Christmas bloodshed! Yeah! Or maybe a ritual spammers witch-burning. That could be fun too!

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

SheWolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:34 pm 
Boom King!

I don't consider so called "closed" forums to be offputting, they give me the illusion that not everyone in the universe can actively stumble upon our ramblings. I liken it to being in a restaurant having a conversation with a group of friends at my table. Do I want everyone in the restaurant to listen or just the folks at the table? I don't consider that being exclusive, particularly when all one needs to do is create a username and password and voila you're in and you are not precluded from lurking on a closed forum anymore than on an open one. Lurkers may not be sinister but I'll admit that they freak me out a bit (but not you turnip). I guess I just don't understand the hesitation. If you have something to say, say it. But that's just me. :)

Back OT:I unbookmarked the old threads I no longer want to receive email notifications about and yet I still get email notifications for topics that I never had bookmarked in the first place. :hrm: I'm confused. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh I think I may have, perhaps, just figured out what's going on.

Sherry
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:49 pm 
Professional Blonde

Hopefully the spammers will be sorted this weekend when my shiny new iMac is up and running once we get home.

Home. Its been 6 long weeks and I so want to be there. And get to work on the site. I miss tinkering on it all. Am looking forward to a big update with lots of news and snippets.

Have a few interesting emails from people that I can finally share with others also so :D

And Turnip, thank you. Sometimes its hard to sustain the interest but the Conchords are almost a way of life for me now. Its not a hardship but sometimes its hardwork. I enjoy what they do still and they are still decent people. For as long as I like what they do, I'll keep this site going.

OK, smoosh over.

LSully9
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:52 pm 
Getting lewd with the food

Sherry wrote:
Have a few interesting emails from people that I can finally share with others also so :D

Ooooh... My curiousity is piqued... :wink: Unless you weren't planning on sharing said interesting emails with us; in which case, I'm still super curious, but just slightly upset that you would tease us that way. :pout:

Also, glad to hear you're almost back home!

Sherry
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:08 pm 
Professional Blonde

Heh well I shall post something over in the Jemaine section now to keep people going :D

tvldiva
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:40 am 
Feeling much better now...

Sherry wrote:
Maybe if the forum was just that, a forum, I'd feel differently but as its attached to a large, extensive site on the Conchords also its all interwoven and I don't wish to lose that side of it. Besides as I don't go overly personal on the Conchords here I don't feel there is anything to hide from public view. Jemaine, Bret, Rhys, James... they can all read what you lot are saying about them without having to worry about logging in to view it all :D

Ah, yes, I do agree with you there Sherry. I remember having the director(James Bobin) comment on something I had posted! :worry: You forget that they are really watching/reading, until you get busted!!! I could be guessing but they may look in from time to time to see how a show goes over. After all, whether we get along or not, we are all die-hard fans that give honest responses to the shows.

Sherry- Congrats at getting to go back home, not to mention the shiny new IMac. I'm sure you are itching to settle in back at the homestead with the family. I hope you and your family have a great little Christmas!! You've got at least a month before all hell breaks loose with the new show. With the exception of the premier tomorrow on Funny or Die. (Yeah--I'm so excited!!!)

dangerous person
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:28 am 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

I'm so pleased for you you can be in your home for Christmas, with your baby! That's great news. :D
Looking forward to the updates too of course...... :yawinkle:
Have a wonderful Christmas!

Amanda
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

dangerous person wrote:
I'm so pleased for you you can be in your home for Christmas, with your baby! That's great news. :D
Looking forward to the updates too of course...... :yawinkle:
Have a wonderful Christmas!

:nod: ditto what DP said :clap: I am so happy to hear you'll be home for Xmas!!..with your baby!!..and your new iMac! how are the animals doing, btw?

:prayer: Thank you so much for being still interested in running and updating the site...it means a LOT! to all of us..specially considering your current circumstances. You are an angel, Sherry :halo:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!