It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:21 am

Rhys Darby

Rhys Darby, the legend that is Murray. Everything and anything to do with Rhys post it here please.

Moderator: Venus

Re: Rhys Darby

Postby SheWolf » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:56 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:My mama always tells me, "if you don't have anything nice to say, shut your yap, sweetpea".

Awww yeah that's what mamas are supposed to say so she raised you up good. (she's exceedingly adorable in your pix too and you can tell her I said that :yawinkle: ). Does your mom really call you sweetpea? My mom calls me some luvalicious names that are quite embarrassing when out in public.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby dangerous person » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:32 pm

OK, well I can see the 'greeness' in Rhys' comment, so hopefully he'll get the hang of this interview thing soon.....
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"
dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:30 pm

I can't believe we forgot to mention the most :shock: part of that article which was that Rhys, like Kristen, says that they don't know if this is the last season or not. I thought it had been stated pretty unequivocably that it would be the last. It sounds like something changed since then though. Very intriguing.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby dangerous person » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:38 pm

Good point.
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"
dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Val2150 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:46 pm

I noticed that too - maybe the guys surprised themselves with how much they were actually able to write for this season? Interesting indeed.... :hrm:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:24 am

Or maybe HBO is handing them the keys to the bank vaults and they could retire forever if they did one more season? That's always a possibility, and if this shorter season was easy for them, maybe they would consider it. :dunno:
I think they have the ball squarely in their court, and HBO may offer them the moon, but if they don't want to do it, they won't, and life will go on. As we always say, as long as they're happy... :D

And Rhys did seem to admit to his greenness in that interview. He needs to learn that the spoken word can seem different when the inflections aren't there, and the tone can be hard to decipher. I think he was being honest about Yes Man (about his costuming making him look funnier than Jim Carrey, etc), I don't think he meant it as "I'm a better comic..."
I think doing interviews are one of the hardest parts of being famous - you can get in so much trouble by answering a question with what the public perceives to be the "wrong answer".
He seems to be a nice guy with a good heart, he just has to take Answering Interviewers' Questions 101. :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby onewithdog » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:56 pm

I love Murray and Rhys's stand up.

Dont really have much else to say.......
onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby dandy lyons » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks, Sherry! :)
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.
dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Here's an interesting story...

Postby Great H » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:15 am

He had to buy his own copy of the Conchords DVD then had to prove he was himself?! :lol:
Rhys' Conchords story
Great H

Postby dandy lyons » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:01 am

Haha!! Aww, That was cute.
Thanks Great H! :)
dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:31 am

Yes, Great H, thanks so much for that. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby tvldiva » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:28 pm

I just had a good laugh. I saw that Tori Amos is playing this year at SXSW. :bounce: Oh, Rhys...
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Rhys Darby's secret show!

Postby Great H » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 am

OK, this is a really long post - sorry! I'm just too excited about this!

I have to say that that wellknown arseoftheinter... um website, MySpace (yes, I said it!) actually proved it's worth on Tuesday... It got me into a Rhys Darby comedy show FREE! YAY! I missed out last time he performed here in Auckland so I was absolutely rapt to get into this one, SO much fun! I wanted to post about this before but I haven't had tiiiime! *Wails* But I do now. So I will!

I had spotted a tiny blurb in a local entertainment rag and went online to check it out. Turns out you had to 'befriend' a particular organisation on MySpace in order to receive a bulletin from them about an upcoming secret Rhys Darby comedy show, not being otherwise promoted. You were told who was performing – Rhys and 3 other well-known (here!) NZ comedians – and what day, but not where or when. That info would only be sent in a bulletin to those same MySpace friends on the day. Then it was turn up early and queue at the venue for first-in first served free tickets.

Anyway, I signed up for MySpace and did the befriending thing, but I didn't think I had a hope in heck of actually getting in because I work quite some distance away and couldn't get off work till quite late, (it turned out to be a 7.30pm show which didn't actually start till about 8.30pm, at a venue that only holds about 120 – and the queue started around 4.30pm!!) but fortunately a good friend went and stood in the rapidly growing queue to hold a space for me, thank goodness. AND WE GOT IN! :D I reckon (there's a good kiwi-ism for you) there were at least 200 more people queueing that didn't get in tho. It was really funny, standing in line outside the venue - people kept wandering up and saying 'what are you all waiting for?' We just looked smug and said: 'secret'. :lol:

It turned out to be a fantastic night out, even better because it was free! Rhys was really on form (except for dropping the mike!), pulling faces and doing sound effects, making fun of the NZ accent and his own hair (it's NOT a wig!) etc, and the other comedians were all good too. Then on the way out everyone got limited edition promotional posters for the gig. Right. That's going on the wall then. I took a couple of pics with my poxy cell-phone but they're not worth posting (OK, I will). Apparently there has been a few other free secret shows recently as well – some very well-known names – Fallout Boy did the most recent. I'm gonna have to keep going back to MySpace to check if there's anything else coming up now!

There was a camera at the gig that filmed the queue waiting outside and some of the show itself. The organisers me told it was likely going to be on C4 (the local music and non-mainstream channel) on Friday night. (Tonight! I shall have to look out for myself!) Some footage has popped up on YouTube HERE. We were second table back from the stage and must've been quite near the camera because I can hear myself laugh quite clearly a couple of times! :oops: Too funny. If you've already seen Rhys perform live, you probably would have heard it all before, but I hadn't (at least not a proper gig) so I loved it. The first bit in the video is Rhys trying (and failing) to lipsynch in time to a very very fast and well known NZ song 'Can't get enough' by Supergroove (LOVE that band - and yes, another NZ band with a horn section).

Well, I've bored you all rigid by now, but, anyway, WOO! I LOVE the internet! :cheer:

Great H

Postby dandy lyons » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:13 am

That's so rad, Great H! *high fives* for such an awesome time! :D
dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:30 am

Oh, Great H, so glad you got to finally see him, and for free!!! :yay:

What a great story - thanks for sharing it. :clap:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy