Arj Barker

Arj Barker, friend of the Conchords and has the part of Dave in the HBO TV series. Stuff to do with Arj in this lil sub forum please.

Moderator: Venus

Re: Arj Barker

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Cool, Faith! :supz: Gonna take a few pics?

Did you guys (vmh and ryche) make it to Largo? How was it? I love Kate.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Faith » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Ryche and I are both going since she's going to be in town that weekend. I'm definitely going to try and take a few pics. :D
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:44 pm

How wonderful that she'll be in town! Have you seen Arj before? I wonder if he does any of the same material from when he opened for FotC?
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Faith » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:48 pm

No, I've never seen him before, so all of his material will be new to me.
Faith

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:07 pm

Yay, Faith! You'll have a great time. I love his unique delivery, the way he starts relatively softly and then when he's making a point, gets emphatically loud. :cross:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby DaMango » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 am

I saw Arj in Bellevue tonight, and I'm going again tomorrow night! He seemed kind of worn out, so I'm looking forward to seeing if he's more energetic tomorrow. He had some new material, and most of it was really funny. I took my mom, and she enjoyed it. It was so good to see him again, like an old friend. :D

I'm going with my sister tomorrow night, so there's more to come!
DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Nice pics, DaMango. :D Sorry to hear he seemed tired. Hopefully a good night's sleep will do him some good.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Faith » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:26 pm

Went and saw Arj last night at Comedy Works. Met up with Ryche and we had a good time. We caught up with him after the early show and got some pics and then he had to go get ready for the 10pm show which we also went and saw. I'm glad we did because I thought the late show was funnier than the early show.

Me and Arj last night at the Denver Comedy Works by faith830, on Flickr
Faith

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:12 pm

Great photo Anna! He was quite cuddly wasn't he??? :wink: :oops:

Anna and I had a great time! Arj was really good last night. Like Anna said, we went to both shows, and yes I am paying for it now! I got back to hotel got 3 hours sleep, and flew out at 8:00am. uck. To add an addition ick factor, It is 110 in Phoenix, and it feels gross, I wanna go back to Denver!!...oh, wait in 3 days I am going back ! Woot Hoot! Just not as much drinking this time! :partyman:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche

Postby Faith » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:23 am

Yes, he was. Your picture with him was more cuddly than mine. ;) I'm still paying for the drinking today. :sick:
Faith

Postby Venus » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Lovely pics! Glad you all had a great time seeing Arj live.

Funny man also a bright spark
NAOMI ARNOLD Last updated 13:20 01/09/2011

It's always tricky interviewing comedians. Assume they're being funny, crack a few nervous jokes and you'll irritate them and look like a fool. But approach them straight and you'll realise, too late, that you're the butt of a complex joke, as Radio New Zealand's Kathryn Ryan discovered when interviewing comedian Arj Barker live on air last week.

Then there's the very real chance that the interview will simply descend into trivia and farce.

Pity us. We had a slot of just 10 minutes to navigate these treacherous waters with Barker as he prepares to make his way to Nelson on his first regional tour. He'll be onstage at the Theatre Royal on Wednesday night, sallying forth on topics such as prawns, 3-D movies and the internet's desperate need for Sarcastica: a font to accurately convey sarcasm.

"Some years down the line people will say 'Arj Barker thought of that'," he says.

"I was the first person to suggest a sarcastic font and now they're talking about actually doing it [see sartalics.com]. I don't know if I'll ever get credit for it." But people have been tweeting him about it, saying they've stolen his original idea, which also included Chill Sans and Good Times New Roman. "The public has my back."

He's owed credit elsewhere too – a little blue check mark next to his name on Twitter, to verify his is indeed a real account from someone famous, would be nice. But he's not going to stoop so low as to ask for it.

"I don't know what you're supposed to do to get it," he says. "I don't know if I'm too proud ... I've seen people [with it] and I'm at least as cool as that person. But no, they won't give it to me."

It wouldn't do to go grovelling to Twitter. "Exactly. That's the thing. Because then it's too hurtful if they didn't give it to me. I put the feelers out there and nothing happened, so in the end I said 'Never mind'. I'm with the people, you know? Of course I'd turncoat in a second."

Despite the lack of kudos from Twitter and internet font gods, Barker's well-known in New Zealand for his turn on Flight of the Conchords, where he played pawn-shop worker Dave to deadpan perfection.

He knew Conchords Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie from working the international comedy circuit. "When they were putting the show together they said 'We need someone to play kind of a dickhead and they thought of me," he says. "Career-wise it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. [Standup] just got better – I got a new wave of audience. And it's great to work with friends – people you like, and they're great guys."

He spends a lot of time in Australia, where he enjoys immense popularity – in 2010 he was the highest-selling act at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival.

Barker is also planning to make his own TV show, a half-hour comedy of "something tailor-made to suit me as the star".

"But I want to be real careful not to rush into it and not to put it out there until it's good. That's what I learned from [Clement and McKenzie]. It was their vision; they didn't let it get made by someone else. That's what you gotta do if you want to put out quality."

The TV show is all hush-hush though. "I'm only telling people in Nelson this. This is our little secret." He could be joking. But then again, he might not. How to get that droll wit across in print? Perhaps we need a special font to do it.

Arj Barker, Wednesday, September 7, Theatre Royal, 7.30pm. Tickets $39.90 from Everyman.

Source

Hope everything works out with his TV project. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Faith » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:43 pm

Arj is coming back to Denver in August. Ryche and I are going to go. Anyone else want to join us? :)
Faith

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:58 pm

That would be so much fun. I remember meeting my first group of WTFers going to see him. I won't be able to go. :bang: :bang: :bang:
I'll be steeped in working on Wizard of Oz AND going to Amy's bridal shower. :shock: Hope more folks can make it.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Faith wrote:Arj is coming back to Denver in August. Ryche and I are going to go. Anyone else want to join us? :)

Hey Can't believe it is tonight already! I saw him on Thursday night, he was really great, new material etc. :roll2: Didn't get back to show last night, (friends had other plans for me...) but now, we are going in a couple of hours, for dinner then the show!

Yay! It has been over a year since we got together, and it was here, in Denver, to see Arj.

It is gonna be so awesome! Can't wait to see you Ms. "Faith". :yay:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche

Postby Venus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:07 am

Yay, have fun Ryche and Faith! Let us know how the show goes. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus