It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Greetings from Chicago, IL

New to Flight of The Conchords? Or just new to the site and forums? Either way, please take a minute to stop by and say hello. Cheers!

Moderator: Nancy

Greetings from Chicago, IL

Postby VanessaR » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:43 am

Hello, What the Folk!

My name is Vanessa. I'm from Chicago, where we recently dug ourselves out from a few feet of snow!

I'm a bit of a latecomer to the Flight of the Conchords party. Several years late, it seems!

Regardless, these guys are brilliant, hilarious and quite charming. (I'll try not to gush about my embarrassingly large crushes on Jemaine Clement and Rhys Darby)

I've been lurking around on this board for a couple weeks now. But you guys seem like a really friendly bunch, so I've decided to emerge from the shadows and say hello! :)
When we first met, you tried to have me deported because you thought I was Australian.
That was a misunderstanding - you were wearing a vest top.
VanessaR
New arrival

Re: Greetings from Chicago, IL

Postby mockingbird » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:14 am

Nice to meet you, VanessaR. :wave: Feel free to gush. ;)
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:21 am

Welcome, VanessaR! :wave:

Have a look at the guidelines, and post away. From one fellow gusher to another, I look forward to gushing with you! :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby LauraK » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:14 am

Welcome Vanessa! :welcome:
There are a few members here in Chicago....we had a little meetup back in Oct.

If you look around a bit, you'll see this is just the place for gushing! We've all done it and continue to do it! :lol: So feel free to join in.

Love your avatar & sig line. :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:11 am

Hi Vanessa, glad that you came out of the shadows to hang with us. :welcome:

Hey, I'm in Chicago too. Are you a north sider or south sider? We'll have to plan a meet up sometime. :nod: Def a meet up at the next Flight of the Conchords show. Anywho, in short I am a north sider. Well northwest side to be exact. I live out near O'hare, in the Gladstone Park/Jefferson Park neighborhood.

Another Jemainiac to hang with, woo hoo! You will have lots of Jemazing times here. :nod:

Have you ever seen the guys perform live? Do you follow all of their other projects? How did you discover Flight of the Conchords? Do you play the uke? We hope you will tell us more about yourself.

Hope to see ya around.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby vmh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:17 am

Hi Vanessa! :wave: I like your name.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby Great H » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:48 am

Hi Vanessa! :group:
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:49 pm

:wave: Hi VanessaR! I like your name too. I'm saying it in my head with an English accent..."Vanesser" like the Brits (or Bret) might pronounce it. :lol: Welcome, and jump right in. It's a lovely place to hang out, have a few laughs and yes - gush profusely about some really hot, funny, talented guys. :nod:

Latecomer? Who introduced you to FotC or did you stumble upon them?
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby eejm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:42 pm

Hiya Vanessa! Love the avatar. Nothing makes me happier than seeing baked goods eating other baked goods. :D
eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Venus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi there, Vanessa! Welcome to the forum. :wave: Glad you've decided to join us! :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby eorious » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Welcome VanessaR! Another fellow Chicagoan here... :wave:
eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby VanessaR » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:12 am

Aw, I wasn't expecting such a warm welcome - thanks everyone!

It's great to see other Chicagoans on here! 4everconchordsfan - I was actually born and raised on the Northwest Side, so I know exactly where Jeff Park/Gladstone Park is! My husband and I live in Andersonville, but in my heart I'll always be a Northwest-Sider. The next time all of the Chicago folks get together, definitely count me in!

Unfortunately, any face-to-face interaction with the FOTC boys has only occured in the confines of my imagination. (Where of course, I'm wearing the perfect outfit, my hair looks great, and I lean into Jemaine and deliver some impossibly smooth line that makes him laugh just as someone snaps a picture of us.... yeah.)

My heart did little flip flops when I looked around What the Folk, and found that my fantasy has been a reality for many of you lucky ladies! :) Hopefully, nobody can see my jealousy oozing through the computer screen.

So, a few of you were asking how I got into FOTC. I stumbled upon them three times before actually watching the show.

Stumble #1: One of my girlfriends is from Australia, and she mentioned FOTC to me several times while she lived in the US. And of course, it went in one ear and out the other. (Incidentally, her name is Mel!)
Stumble #2: I volunteer for a local charity called Rock For Kids. In 2009, they auctioned off a signed poster from the FOTC show at the Chicago Theatre. It wound up going for $500.
Stumble #3: My dad recently borrowed both seasons on DVD from one of his friends. He loved it, and promptly called me to see if I'd ever heard of them. My reply? "Yeah... yeah I think I have, actually."

Two weeks after that phone call, Chicago got hit with a nasty blizzard, and I was snowed in. I had borrowed those DVDs from my dad, so I decided to pop them in. I was immediately hooked, and now here I am!

Other non-FOTC snippets about me: I love to bake, which explains my avatar. For the past two years, I competed in the Bucktown Apple Pie Contest, which you Chicago folks may be familiar with. :)

What The Folk Boards where you're most likely to find me: Anything related to Jemaine, Rhys Darby, and side projects of the FOTC boys (The Pen, Love Birds, etc). And I'll definitely make a stop on the recipes board!

Thanks again for the warm welcome. See you guys around!
When we first met, you tried to have me deported because you thought I was Australian.
That was a misunderstanding - you were wearing a vest top.
VanessaR
New arrival

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:56 am

Yay! :yay:
If you take a look, you'll notice that except for a few posts, the Recipe thread has lain sadly dormant. :sosad:
We'll be very happy to have you bump it up with some yummy goodies! :tonqe:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Return to Introduce yourself - Feel free say hello here before posting. Thanks