It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:02 pm

Hello everyone!

New to Flight of The Conchords? Or just new to the site and forums? Either way, please take a minute to stop by and say hello. Cheers!

Moderator: Nancy

Hello everyone!

Postby scatteringflowers » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi, I'm a fan from Italy... maybe the only one!
I'm 19, and I've been obsessed with Flight of the Conchords since the first season aired here in november 2010... 3 years later then in the USA sadly :(
The show intrigued me and made me laugh like nearly anything else on tv, so I watched the whole second season, laughed a lot again, and then I started searching a lot of information, pictures, and videos about the guys...
I stumbled upon this forum some weeks ago, I tried to resist not to register but I've failed as you can see :lol:
I don't think I'll be here too much, because soon I'll have a lot of exams to do, but I hope I could land here anyway and talk a bit :)
(I Apologise if I did some mistakes in my English... please point them out to me in case there's the need!)
scatteringflowers
Lost but happy at sea

Re: Hello everyone!

Postby kipples » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Hey scatteringflowers :wave: Nice nickname! I was thinking of shortening it to scat-flo....but sf could do just as well.

I hope you like it here and visit often :D What part of Italy are you in?
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby scatteringflowers » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Kipples! I live near Florence, and I study Art History there at the University :)
scatteringflowers
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Welcome, SF! :wave:

It's so good to have another country represented here :D .

Have a look at the Forum Guidelines, and post away! It's fine if you're not able to post frequently. We have been known to have lurkers. :worry: Come by and lurk or post whenever you can, we'll always have the door open for you. :nod:

Your English is fine. I wish I could speak Italian - such a beautiful language. And you're in Florence! My daughter said she always wanted to go there. Enjoy finding your way around these parts. And if you have questions, we're happy to help.

I love your avatar! :lol:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi there, scatteringflowers! Welcome to the forum. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Great H » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi scatteringflowers! Can I call you flowers?! :wave:
I spent a few days in Florence a while back and LOVED it there - lucky you! :D
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:48 pm

Ciao e benvenuto, scatteringflowers. :group: Italy is one of my favorite places in the world. You did fine with your English! :thumb: Far better than I could do with Italian that's for sure. :lol: Did you watch FotC in English? Did you use subtitles or was it dubbed into Italian?
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Amanda » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 am

Welcome to WTF, SF :wave:
I'm glad you decided to register, you are in for a lot of fun ;-) I've been to Firenze a couple of times, it's one of my favourite cities..and i think it's very fitting and inspiring that you've chosen to study Art History.. the whole country is like a living text book and la Toscana is probably its most beautiful chapter.

You haven't told us yet which one of the two make you so hot you'd think you're being sexist :wink:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...
Amanda

Postby scatteringflowers » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Uh, what a warm welcome! Thank you all :)
You can call me SF or flowers ; ) Yes Florence is indeed a beautiful city. I'm happy that some of you actually visited it ;D
Oh and thank you for saying that my English is good...
To Nonch ( is it fine for you? ) and Nancy: I can give you some free italian lessons on the forum if you want :wink:

I watched the first season from episode 4 to 12 dubbed into italian on tv, then I watched ep 1, 2 and 3 and the entire second season in English with italian subs on the net
To Amanda: Oh right! I'm a Jemainiac, but I have bi-conchordian tendencies I have to admit :)
scatteringflowers
Lost but happy at sea

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Interesting. A fair amount of the comedy in the show stems from the New Zealand accent, how did those bits translate when the show was dubbed into Italian? Did the Italian voiceover actors attempt to speak like foreigners? :lol: Did they sound anything like the real Bret and Jemaine? I would love to hear Italian spoken with a Kiwi accent. Did they dub the songs as well!?!?? :o

Oh and yes, nonch is fine. :) I would love to learn the language, I have a sister in law that is from Italy and lives here now, so I could practice on her.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Welcome, flowers! You'll love it here- all the info & pics you could ever need on the guys and so much more as well as great peeps hanging out. :)

I'd loooove to hear the show dubbed in Italian! OMG....I can't imagine anyone else voicing them....yes- were the voices similar at all? Did they try to affect a Kiwi accent or is that totally impossible, lol? :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:40 am

Oh, SF, a thread in the General section on how to speak Italian would be wonderful! :D
I learned a little Italian in college, learning Italian art songs and Mozart arias. Mind you, it's not really what I usually sing, but it was fun learning it in school.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby scatteringflowers » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:02 am

Well, I totally forgot how the dubbed voices sounded on tv XD... lately I've been mostly watching scenes in English on youtube
I just watched a bit of Sally again, in Italian, and the voices (especially Jemaine's) now sound awful to me :lol:
About the New Zealand accent... well, in Italian they made them talk mostly in a "correct" italian, but they made them pronounce some vowels in a way similar to the original one...
In Italian it sounds strange because nobody in the whole Italy actually have an accent like that :lol: anyway it gives a comic and surreal effect
The songs were only subbed... luckily :wink:

About the Italian thread: well, I was only joking, I don't want to take all that responsibility.. I'm just a newbie! :lol:
Anyway, I think it would be a good idea... I may start the thread giving you the link to the site where I found the Italian episodes...
Nancy can I proceed?
:hrm:
scatteringflowers
Lost but happy at sea

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm glad they didn't mess with the songs, though I have to wonder if it's ever been attempted. :lol: I'd love to see an episode in Italian so lay the linky on us, SF. :)

Thinking about Florence reminds me that I saw the statue of Michelangelo's David when I was there and was blown away by the massive scale of it. I guess I had figured it was merely life sized. OH! Have you seen the photoshops of Jemaine as David? They're around here somewhere. :lol: And we have some lovely ones of Bret as The Thinker and a few of Barberini's Faun with stripey socks as well. :purple: You could almost consider lurking around here "research". :geek: :wink:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Amanda » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:09 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:I'm glad they didn't mess with the songs, though I have to wonder if it's ever been attempted. :lol:

Oh it has.. and the result is awful :hrmpf:

..they've dubbed EVERY song of the TV series :shudders:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...
Amanda

Next

Return to Introduce yourself - Feel free say hello here before posting. Thanks