It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:36 am

Alrighttttt

New to Flight of The Conchords? Or just new to the site and forums? Either way, please take a minute to stop by and say hello. Cheers!

Moderator: Nancy

Alrighttttt

Postby Jonzo67 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:34 am

Supp, conchords fans.

Lad from Scotland here, 19 years old, names Jonny. At University studying English, and I am an aspiring music journalist (seriously, when most my mates are playing Xbox, I'm reviewing the latest album I've bought. :supz: ).

One of my best friends introduced me to Flight of the Conchords years ago, musta been around 06/07, and I think it was Robots/The Humans are Dead that I saw first - some live version on youtube or sumitt. Anyway, I loved it, it was exactly my kind of humour and as I explored the depths of youtube, I was struck by how amiable and friendly the boys seemed to be.

Since then I've devoured the two series, devoured the two albums and all that jazz. My favourite song is possibly "We're Both In Love With a Sexy Lady". I just love how well the guys pinpoint a particular musical style (in this case, Usher/R Kelly R&B) and run with it. I didn't even have to know it was a parody to love it.

Anyway, I've rambled on here! I'm a bit of a geek for forums, and I've not regularly used one in a while, so this might be a good un'. Nice to meet you all!

x
last.fm/user/jonzo67
twitter.com/vivalajonzo
Fan of Scrubs, Jamie Lenman, Game of Thrones and Liverpool FC. x
Jonzo67
New arrival

Re: Alrighttttt

Postby Venus » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:12 am

Hi there, Jonzo! :wave: Welcome to the forum! Have you had the chance to see FOTC live yet? As well as their TV show and albums, their live tours are always a highlight so I hope to see them return to these shores in the near future for some live shows. Have you been keeping track of Bret and Jemaine's projects outside of FOTC as well? Looking forward to reading your posts on the forum. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Jonzo67 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:25 am

Any musical projects? I've seen some of the things they've been in on TV etc.

Alas, I've not seen them live, but I will drag a fair few friends along when they hit the UK again! Hope they play Scotland, I'm sure they would.
last.fm/user/jonzo67
twitter.com/vivalajonzo
Jonzo67
New arrival

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:27 am

Welcome, Jonzo! :wave:

Have a look at our guidelines and then post away! I look forward to seeing you around the forum. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Hiya, Jonzo! :welcome: Interesting avatar. What's it from? I applaud your resistance to Xbox. :o :clap: You have a higher calling no doubt. Have you written any reviews of the Flight of the Conchords albums? :)

Jonzo67 wrote:I just love how well the guys pinpoint a particular musical style (in this case, Usher/R Kelly R&B) and run with it. I didn't even have to know it was a parody to love it.

Excellent point. 8) There are a few threads around the forum someplace in which members have taken a shot at guessing the musicians/styles being sent up by the Conchords in each of their songs. It pretty much ruins the originals for me though. I can't watch the Usher-R Kelly video without completely loosing it. :roll2:

Anyway, welcome and feel free to ramble on as much as you like. Some of us never tire of FotC chat.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Venus » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Jonzo67 wrote:Any musical projects? I've seen some of the things they've been in on TV etc.

Alas, I've not seen them live, but I will drag a fair few friends along when they hit the UK again! Hope they play Scotland, I'm sure they would.

Bret's been involved in many musical projects both in the past (e.g. as a band member of The Black Seeds) and the present as one of the co-founding members of the Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra and as the music supervisor of The Muppets. He's also done some solo stuff as 'Video Kid' and even composed a Christmas single called "Electronic Santa". Jemaine wrote and performed "Pretty Bird" in Rio and "Predicament" for the movie of the same name with Tim Finn. Both Bret and Jemaine guest starred on The Simpsons and performed a few short songs for that. They've both been involved in many projects outside of FOTC, particularly quite a few films. If you have a read through the threads in their sections of the forum, there's lots more about what they've been up to these days.

OK, I hope you have the chance to see Bret and Jemaine live. The last time they were in the UK was in 2010 for their "Mostly European Tour" which was lots of fun! I'm sure they'll return since they seem to enjoy touring as much as we enjoy seeing them live so it's just a matter on when since they're both busy guys at the moment. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Great H » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Yay! Another newbie! :wave:
:whitey:
Welcome Jonzo! :D
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Hiya Jonzo. Well look at you with 'All the Ladies of the World' here at the forum. :nod: :lol: :lol:

:welcome: :group: Let us know if you need help finding anything.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Jonzo67 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 am

Nancy wrote:Welcome, Jonzo! :wave:

Have a look at our guidelines and then post away! I look forward to seeing you around the forum. :D

:) thanks Nancy!

nonchalant obsession wrote:Hiya, Jonzo! :welcome: Interesting avatar. What's it from? I applaud your resistance to Xbox. :o :clap: You have a higher calling no doubt. Have you written any reviews of the Flight of the Conchords albums? :)

Not really, I'm not entirely confident in reviewing a comedy album :P I'd just ramble on about how funny it all is! Musically, FOTC are quite accomplished though, so I'd mention that. My avatar is an album called "Racecar is Racecar Backwards" by a band called Reuben that I love very much. They're not a comedy band (bar their amazing christmas song, "Christmas Is Awesome", youtube it guys :P) but lead singer Jamie Lenman is one of the most hilarious people I've ever met! If I get to meet FOTC, I can add them to the list. :wink:

Excellent point. 8) There are a few threads around the forum someplace in which members have taken a shot at guessing the musicians/styles being sent up by the Conchords in each of their songs. It pretty much ruins the originals for me though. I can't watch the Usher-R Kelly video without completely loosing it. :roll2:

Anyway, welcome and feel free to ramble on as much as you like. Some of us never tire of FotC chat.

Aha, I don't mind that. I actually have a huge smile on my fave when I listen to Bowie songs now, albeit I've never been a huge Usher fan :)

Venus wrote:
Bret's been involved in many musical projects both in the past (e.g. as a band member of The Black Seeds) and the present as one of the co-founding members of the Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra and as the music supervisor of The Muppets. He's also done some solo stuff as 'Video Kid' and even composed a Christmas single called "Electronic Santa". Jemaine wrote and performed "Pretty Bird" in Rio and "Predicament" for the movie of the same name with Tim Finn. Both Bret and Jemaine guest starred on The Simpsons and performed a few short songs for that. They've both been involved in many projects outside of FOTC, particularly quite a few films. If you have a read through the threads in their sections of the forum, there's lots more about what they've been up to these days.

OK, I hope you have the chance to see Bret and Jemaine live. The last time they were in the UK was in 2010 for their "Mostly European Tour" which was lots of fun! I'm sure they'll return since they seem to enjoy touring as much as we enjoy seeing them live so it's just a matter on when since they're both busy guys at the moment. :)

I've seen the Simpsons thing, but I had no idea Jemaine was involved in the Muppets. Lucky I've joined a community that's so knowledgeable when it comes to Conchords!

And hi Great H and 4evachonchordsfan. Why, are you all ladies? :wink: Hopefully I can give the place a masculine touch :lol:
last.fm/user/jonzo67
twitter.com/vivalajonzo
Jonzo67
New arrival

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:37 am

Wait - Bret, Muppets; Jemaine, Rio. :yawinkle:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit