It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:51 pm

April 28 - Chicago (first of two shows)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.

April 28 - Chicago (first of two shows)

Postby Whambi » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:37 am

....after 40 minutes of trying to get out of the parking lot (the one that cost $19 to park, thanks Mayor Daley) it started raining hard. Arie Crown is such a cavernous theatre, I don't know if there would be a place to do a meet and greet, if so good luck guys!

Set list time:
Too Many Dicks
-someone yells something like Smoke a Bong, Jemaine doesn't know what to make of it
Hurt Feelings
-banter about being professional talkers
-Jemaine talks about his first impression of Chicago and now all he can think of is bong smoking
-then luckily there was only one Freebird yelled out, the guys ignored it
Stana
Choir of Ex Girlfriends
-Bret says to a guy in the 10th row," you've been video taping the whole show till now, at least you could have covered up the red light on it", then tells security to put on the house lights
-a guy stands up (the video taper) and says Yeah, play Mermaids....they don't
-then they introduce Nigel the New Zealand orchestra and how the orchestra was downsized from Gavin playing percussion and a guy who just dances, saying since the other two left they don't have to share the blazer and tie
-Jemaine points to the box seats and says there's the mayor and everyone starts saying it's Brahbra - don't know if it was really Kristen Wiig, then people keep yelling Brahbra?
Jenny
-Jemaine talks about his relationship with Chicago, saying he needs to see us another night to see how it's going :wink:
Told You I Was Freaky
-then Jeamaine for the lighting to be turned to as if "I'm trapped in a tear"
I'm Not Crying
-Bret sees two empty seats and asks why they left, but Jemaine says you can't ask them because they are not there
Hiphopotomus vs. Rhymenocerous
-hecklers yell to do Leggy Blonde, Jemaine says it's done in a certain key and we don't have it then everyone starts yelling requests and Jemaine says "we are not a jukebox"
-some guys stand up with a mylar blanket with a pic of Jemaine and Bret (taken from the poster Jemaine made in the yoko episode) the fans tell them it is a collage of them, Jemaine then tells them that is not a collage and explains what collages are
-Bret puts it on the drum kit, since it's shiny Jemaine said "it's like Mettalica" :lol:
Beautiful Girl
Bus Driver Song
Albi
-people yell requests and Jemaine says yeah Foux de fa fa is a good one...
Foux da fa fa
-the guys heckle a fan who just got to his seat
(P)epileptic Dogs
-Jemaine says some cities get to hear (P)epileptic Dogs, we are unfortunately getting it tonight (everyone cheered)
-banter about issues, people yelled out The Swine Flu and Jemaine says just give the swine some tissues
Think About It
-everyone starts clapping during song, Bret says "don't clap it throws us off, " then proceeds to say he'll beatbox like Bobby McFerrin to the beat (and does for the rest of the song)
I"m in Love With a Sexy Lady/Same Girl
..which segued into
Sugarlumps

Encores:
Mutha:uckers
-banter about Tina Turner and Bowie
Bowies in Space
Demon Woman

the show rocked :supz: Big Time!
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......
......Yeah, yeah she gets it, stop cockblocking me!
Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Re: April 28 - Chicago (first of two shows)

Postby Whambi » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:50 am

Eugene Mirman was great, he did the Delta Airlines rant again, but with a twist, he had a powerpoint presentation with John Wesley Harding and some other guys from the Mekons and I think Nigel too, I could be wrong
it even had a refrain of something like Delta, Delta, Delta, nothing rhymes with Delta like the Beatles Helter Skelter and the Rolling Stones Give Me Shelter and he had hilarious pics to go along with the song. I hope someone has video of that

and I bought the poster tonight. It's wet, from the rain, let me unroll it and give a description of it, it has them both in green shirts with a fish in each's front pocket surrounded by Kangaroos w/joeys inside each. it's made by thebirdmachine.com
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......
Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Cuse » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:51 am

Whambi wrote:and I bought the poster tonight. It's wet, from the rain, let me unroll it and give a description of it, it has them both in green shirts with a fish in each's front pocket surrounded by Kangaroos w/joeys inside each. it's made by thebirdmachine.com

Thanks! :D
Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:52 am

WOW!! You guys got a TON of songs! :supz:

I'm jealous.....not in a mean way, just in an envious way where I'm smiling as I think about all the songs you got that we didn't.... :yawinkle:

No, really.....I'm ok.....I'm not crying.....I've just been cutting some onions..... :cry:

So, did the videotaper get threatened into stopping? I'd love to see lots of this on YouTube. :)

You didn't tell about the Sugalumps spectacle! Surely there was much teasing and thrusting going on?

Sounds like a great time.....sorry about the rain. :(
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: Calling all Chicagoans

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:37 am

Hey everyone,

Just got in from tonight's show. It was amazing. amazing. To sit in the same room with them for 2 hours, its just incredible. The show was a lot of fun, the guys really seemed to enjoy the audience. There was quite a bit of audience interaction, and as you know each show is unique. I have a few pics to share, im dead tired though been up since 3am so nearly 24hrs. We tried so hard to find meet & greet, if there was one we missed it. We sure tried. More details tomorrow. The guys looked hot. sizzli.n hunk-a-hunka burnin' love. Wooooo. Uh, hunka-hunka burnin love, yeah!

Can hardly wait for the Milwaukee show on Saturday. Right now im gonna go to bed & dream of gorgeous sixy jemaine & beautiful bret.

Talk to you all tomorrow. I have taken off work tomorrow, I have some stalkin' to do which requires a bit of sleep.

Cant seem to post pics...help!
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:40 am

Im back. geez. Im remembering bits & pieces. I am still dazed from the excitement, the adrenaline.

Bret was cracked up about a guy who seemed to appear from under one of the Jumbo-trons, there were quite a few hearty laughs from him about that. Not sure exactly what happened, Bret said he seemed to just appear from under the screen as if he just walked out of it. Jemaine said yeah like Schwartzenegger in 'that' movie.

Not many hecklers. It was a very well behaved audience. There was only one instance that I can remember where someone got loud & Bret told them to 'shut up', actually he had just started singing, so he sang it. Unfortunately an eh'dee' ott yelled freebird. omg. What a spaz.

Bret was facinated by the boxes, upper balcony boxes that were close to the stage. He said that the Queen of Chicago was up there. LOL.

The guys let us make our suggestions for Issues. Someone called out about the swine flu. Jemaine said yeah, lets get those poor pigs some tissues.

Nigel, oh how I love Nigel. He is so entertaining. He wore a suit & tie, he looked good, no great. He looked great. He sang back up for John Wesley Harding & friends. By the way, John Wesley Harding was awesome. I seriously need to learn about his music, what a bonus, he is incredible.

Met Eugene Mirman, as my girlfriend & I were walking out to the garage he and John Wesley Harding were walking out also. He did manage to say hello, but was not receptive, at all, to any conversation. We wanted to tell him how much we clued in to his Delta rant, both my girlfriend & I work in the travel industry. Currently we both work in a call center making airline reservations, not for Delta, thank you very much. But we could have shared some funny stories, it's too bad.

Ok, you guys can tell that im rambling. Im so hyper. All these things are bouncing around in my mind. I am way over stimulated.

The guys did Foux da fa-fa for us, and really had fun ad-libbing lyrics. I cant remember the entire set, I may tomorrow. We did get Bus Drivers Song, Most Beautiful Girl, Im not Cryin', Too Many Dicks, Jenny, Epileptic Dogs, Hip Vs. Rhym, Suga lumps, Hurt Feelings, Carol Brown, Albi The Racist Dragon. I will try to remember more. Someone will come up with a more acurate list im sure. We did get about 3 tunes in the encore, one encore.

We asked the stage hand for a set list, it was sitting right on the floor where Jemaine left it. To no avail. The stagehand was an older guy, he was just rude about it. We asked very nicely. He refused. Oh well, cant hurt a girl for trying & that what we said to the stagehand, he was not amused.

Jemaine had a little trouble with equipment, not at all his fault. He called for Matt the stage hand. He joked that Matt should come out & fix stuff at the beginning of the songs, not the end. He said that when Matt busied himself around his feet when he was performing, something like...it throws him off, its like an exercise in right brain-left brain activity. Jemaine actually cracked himself a couple of times. The other time was earlier mentioned issue for the pigs. I believe that it was Bret, yes it was, who said that the pigs were getting us back for eating pork, or something close to that...sorry im so tired. also wired for sound.

Also Bret mentined Bongs several times. He seemed to think that is what he would remember about Chicago. LOL.

Ok, Im really going now.

Night everyone.

p.s. sorry to be dorking up the vibe here but cant seem to post my pics, help!
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Whambi » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:21 am

LauraK wrote:You didn't tell about the Sugalumps spectacle! Surely there was much teasing and thrusting going on?

See for yourself. My very 1st video. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OjZK0XnaRA
Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:29 am

Niiiiice! :supz:

They really like to be teases! That's the one part of the show that seemed to last a long time to me, thankfully..... :P They really do drive us ladies crazy doing that, huh? :rolleyes:
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:35 am

Awesome video Whambi. The quality of the sound matters not at all... :oops:

They both looked really well at that show. Jem still has his beard rockin by the looks of it.
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby WhippetGood » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:26 pm

Whambi wrote:
LauraK wrote:You didn't tell about the Sugalumps spectacle! Surely there was much teasing and thrusting going on?

See for yourself. My very 1st video. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OjZK0XnaRA

Great vid! OMG, Jemaine's leg kicks, and Bret's slight stumble as he gets into his bendy pose!
WhippetGood
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Val2150 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:08 pm

So glad you had a good time! "Queen of Chicago" :roll2:

And why in the world was Bret talking about bongs? :lol:

I'm sooooo glad the audience was well-behaved. Very proud of my fellow Chicagoans! :D Haven't gotten a report from my friends yet, but I'll post details when I have them.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:10 pm

4everconchordsfan wrote: Someone called out about the swine flu. Jemaine said yeah, lets get those poor pigs some tissues.
:roll2:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:32 pm

If it was raining and they're doing another show in Chicago tomorrow I bet there won't be a meet and greet. There probably will be one tonight - that seems to be the trend I've seen so far (well, it's only happened one other time in Toronto, but it makes sense). When they're doing shows in the same city in two nights they'll forgo the meet and greet the first night and then do one the second night. My guess is the logic is that the hardcore people who would wait for a meet and greet anyway are going to be at both shows anyway :dunno:
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:26 pm

I was on YouTube last night and someone has Stana from last night's show...love when Bret sings "Shut up....." to a heckler-

From citylove3583-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu1E6sDfs6E
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Whambi has a thread for this show in Prior Gigs and tells how the bong talk came about. :)

4everconchordsfan- Great account! I'm sorry Eugene wasn't too friendly....his loss, eh? :)

Did you get any help with your pics? If not, you can host them at Photobucket and then just copy and past the IMG code from there to here. Voila! Soup du jour! Jauques Cousteau!

Edited to ask- might you come back to the venue before the show lets out and lie in wait....I mean get a good spot and wait for a meet and greet? If it's not raining, they'll most likely come out. :D
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Next

Return to 2009 Tour Archives