It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:44 pm

2009 Tour - Camera/Cellphone/Bag Policies

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.

2009 Tour - Camera/Cellphone/Bag Policies

Postby ardy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:41 pm

for those who've been to shows so far, please post here your experiences with camera, cellphone & personal property policies.

...are cameras/cellphones allowed?

...is it a 'no camera' venue, yet you were still able to bring yours in?

...can you bring in backpacks/large personal bags?

...is there a room (like a coatcheck) for items not allowed?

...how has security been with searches? pat-downs? open purses?

...during the show, have you been able to take pics/vids easily?
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...
ardy
Redheads not warheads

Re: 2009 Tour - Camera/Cellphone/Bag Policies

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:55 pm

1.) Happy 200th post, ardy!

2.) :nod: I need this info as well!
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:11 pm

I'm also curious: all of the people to whom ushers would demand "put the camera away!"- was your flash turned off?
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby vmh » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:19 pm

I won't be seeing the show until May but policies are going to differ slightly from venue to venue so I find it best to check the venue's website. Most venues are not going to allow a professional camera inside but some might allow a point and shoot. Even after reading information off of the website, sometimes I'll call the venue just to be sure. In my experience, most venues won't hold personal items for you but it's best to call them and check in advance.

I've brought cameras inside of places that don't allow cameras in the past. You just have to be creative in finding places to hide it. I've placed them inside concealed pockets inside my bag, inside my boots, hidden inside the hood of a hooded sweatshirt and covered with my hair. Some of these may not work too well if you have to walk through a metal detector. And once inside, I'll try to take photos sparringly (flash turned off, of course!) so I don't run the risk of getting caught by an usher or guard.

There's a good wikiHow article on sneaking a camera in: http://www.wikihow.com/Sneak-a-Camera-Into-a-Concert
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:31 pm

I just hope the guys leave word with the venues that cameras are to be allowed. That'd save so much time and possible trouble... :pray:
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby SheWolf » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:52 pm

I was just going to say the same thing as vmh - venues have differing policies on these things. If you are concerned you should call your venue. This issue has never concerned me. I've brought my camera to loads of show regardless of what the policy is and have never had a problem.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby ardy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:04 pm

i know that venues all have their different policies. i do plan on checking the one i'm going to... but some venues have policies and then the artist(s) will override those rules - that's what i was wondering about. if anyone's been to a show thus far at a "no cameras" venue yet people could freely take pics during the show (no flash used, of course.) or vice versa....

of all the concerts i've been to in my life, the venue rules vs. artist(s) preferences have never mirrored each other.
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...
ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby Carol » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:38 pm

The Ryman, here in Nashville, was very strict regarding cameras. People did bring in cameras, but if they were spotted, the ushers were IMMEDIATELY there to call a halt to the picture taking. :(
My daughter managed to get three pics during the show before being "disciplined" by the usher. He didn't take her camera, but he made it clear that she was to take no more pictures.

The zoom would have allowed me to take some really good photos from where I was sitting, but I'm just not one to tempt fate.

Good luck to you and your venue. I hope you get some great pictures!
Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby LSully9 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:02 am

I haven't had too much problems taking pictures (I don't use flash), but ushers are usually pretty quick to jump on you if they think you're taking video. I've been yelled at a few times because my camera took too long to focus, making the usher think I was filming. :roll:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Austin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:05 am

Carol wrote:The Ryman, here in Nashville, was very strict regarding cameras. People did bring in cameras, but if they were spotted, the ushers were IMMEDIATELY there to call a halt to the picture taking. :(
My daughter managed to get three pics during the show before being "disciplined" by the usher. He didn't take her camera, but he made it clear that she was to take no more pictures.

The zoom would have allowed me to take some really good photos from where I was sitting, but I'm just not one to tempt fate.

Good luck to you and your venue. I hope you get some great pictures!

I had an aisle seat so I was done from the get-go. At the latter quarter of the show, I snapped some not so worthwhile pics which I didn't use flash for and got a few snippets of video before the usher kindly asked me to put my camera away. The others in my area that did use flash were reprimanded to the the point that they were threatened to have their cameras removed, so I think that does play into it.
They call it a fly because it takes you up to Heaven

I lurk left.... a lot.
Austin
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Val2150 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:57 am

I was wondering about this too - I could try to hide my camera but it's pretty big and I have a feeling even if I tried to hide it in my bag security would find it. My phone has a pretty good camera (no flash though) and my seats are in the 8th row, so I think I'm going to get a microSD card for my phone and just go with that.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby tvldiva » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:12 am

I worked at a couple of clubs and theaters years back. The rule of thumb for us was as long as the camera's were hidden, no problem. The door people weren't allowed to look into bags because it made the club liable for any type of law suits. :que:
As for the ushers, just keep your camera stashed when your not using it, don't use a flash and you should be ok. Of course, it may be good to have someone watching the ushers for you. Once they get your cameras, you could lose them. If it states "no photography" at the door, they have the right to confiscate and keep your camera. We usually gave it back to them after the shows but kept the film.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:22 am

The Wiki article that VMH posted said that if they don't give your camera back after the show to call the police. They have no right to keep your property, just confiscate it during the show.

My camera's pretty small and slim but it doesn't have the option of view-finder pic taking. It has a large screen on the back. I may tape over the majority of the screen so it doesn't call attention to me. As long as I can see a bit, I should be able to get some good pics.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby andy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:25 pm

for people who are going to the Toronto shows (anyone?), i emailed Massey Hall aksing what their camera policy is and this is what i got:

The general camera policy at Massey Hall is: no video cameras and no professional zoom lense cameras. Small personal point and shoot cameras (incl. flash) and camera phones are allowed but Massey Hall reserves the right to ask a patron to put away their camera if they are causing a disruption. In addition, each artist may alter this policy on the night of the performance - we usually do not have advance warning of this, so be prepared that all cameras may be disallowed on the evening of a show at the artist's request.
They try to get me doing time
For committing the perfect rhyme
My face is on rhyme watch and all that crap
They’re accusing ME of attempted rap
Help! Help! The Rhymenoceros, he's rapping me
F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-Folk music!
andy
Lost but happy at sea

Postby onewithdog » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:17 pm

For those going to Radio City tonight

For concert events, this policy is at the discretion of the artist. Please call Guest Relations at 212-465-6225, any weekday during normal business hours, for more information.

Im not even going to call. Im sure the boys wont mind a small point and shoot camera. They have been asking for photos to be posted online (well who ever runs their facebook page has).
onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Next

Return to 2009 Tour Archives