BOY (aka The Volcano) - Taika's new feature length film

Director, writer, actor, comedian and artist.
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: BOY (aka The Volcano) - Taika's new feature length film

Postby Venus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:49 pm

I can't wait to see what Jemaine and Taika have in store too. And it is a shame about Taika and Loren.

Yay, Great H! Yes, be sure to take a camera because you never know who may turn up! :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:50 pm

I missed that. :(
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:14 pm

closet jemainiac wrote:
mockingbird wrote:
his then-girlfriend Loren Horsley

For some reason this makes me sad. :(

I had suspected this for awhile.... No one had heard of her being connected with him or any of his work for some time. :(
Really? :(
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:54 pm

&

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:20 am

How on earth do you find these things so fast Venus?!! I live in NZ and I didn't spot it till just now! :lol:
Having just watched that vid, all I can say is I'm going to have to start paying more attention when I'm wandering around Ponsonby Road - something I do on a daily basis since that's where I live! I'll buy you that coffee Taika!

And Taika's latest tweet - (on the subject of Twenty Questions)
TaikaWaititi: Re: 20 Questions. Hmmm, officially hating my smarmy, cocky, smart-arse, arrogant self.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:42 am

:D That was adorable. He's very quick on his feet. :)
Who was that girl.....was that really his assistant? :hrm: New gf, maybe? He did seem to glance her way quite a lot during the questions....:)
Be happy, Taika and Loren, even if it's separately!
ImageImage

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:27 am

That was really good. It's actually the first proper thing I've seen with him interview wise, except for the figwit doc.

He's totally rocking that look by the way, I mention this because I was dressed quite similar today. Spooky :)

Great H

Postby Great H » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:24 am

Here's an interview with James, the young star of BOY - he's so cute! He talks about the audition process and the filming etc. Not sure if it's new stuff or not...?
Also - I'm off to see BOY tonight - special advance screening! WAHOO! :whitey:
(Shame Taika won't be there, since he's in New Orleans, 'n all. :( )
I'll let you know what I thought of it - though truthfully, I already like it and I haven't even seen it yet! :lol: :D

helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby helgecko » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:30 am

Tonight?? :D
Aw, fantabulous!! I'm so excited for you! eee! :D :boogie: :hug:
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:31 am

Yes, H, please tell us what you think! I'm already in love with it too, as you said, from the trailers and whatnot, but I'd really like to see what you think about the whole thing... I really hope it gets an American distributor...but with as many awards/mentions as it's getting from festivals around the world, I don't think it'll be a problem ( :pray: )

Great H

Postby Great H » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:13 pm

It's almost midnight here and I've gotta get to bed soon so I'll just post a bit and probably more tomorrow - I've SO much to say, but it's gonna be hard without MASSIVE spoilers, or so many spoiler bars it'll be untelligible without reading them! I SO want to talk about some specific scenes! Anyway, in short, if you're open to watching slow moving character studies, and funny speaking people, you're gonna love it. :heart: I did.

It made me so nostalgic for the 80's..! (I can't believe I just said that!) The film both celebrates and lovingly mocks how we were back then. The whole way through it was "Ha! Those awful things!" or, "We had one of those!", "I can't believe we used to do it like that..." etc etc... LOL!. Makes me disappointed for any viewer not old enough to remember the 80's well, it wouldn't be nearly so joyous for them - just a bunch of old stuff probably?!

Anyway, back to the beginning: Once we'd collected our free popcorn and plonked ourselves down, a girl came up to the front to welcome us and introduce the film etc. She told us it HAD originally been planned for Taika to be there to introduce the film and do Q&A after for us, but due to filming commitments he couldn't. :doh: Stupid Green Lantern!

Anyway, the whole audience laughed their asses off for the first ten minutes straight (If you've seen the trailers, you've pretty much seen the whole first part), but it settled down after that as people started to get into the story. It developed surprising depth in places, but was still predominently lighthearted (very dry humour) most of the time, with many flashes of that caused us to laugh out loud! And a few less pleasant flashes too. One bit had me shocked me silent, and another had me momentarily really disliking Boy - he's not all sweetness and light. But then, that's real eh? No kid is nice all the time, and that stuff really happens. I think he's is a really well-developed character. I really enjoyed watching him (except for that one moment!) and was fully along for the ride with him the whole film - and he goes through a full character arc while we watch. You'll go "AWWW..." and "OOOH..." many times! And tell you what, that kid is a pretty good actor too - unless he actually wasn't acting and that's really just him being him! :lol: Might be...!

What else? Oh yeah, the animation stuff - really really good. I didn't like the animation so much in Eagle vs Shark, I kind of thought it was unrelated and unnecessary there, but it really works in this. In Boy, instead of being animation for animations sake, they seem to illustrate what's going on in the mind of the child we're focused on at that moment, and drawn in a style that they might do themselves. (Though I think I read somewhere Taika did them all...)

Oh that bit with Alamein getting into the car 'Dukes of Hazard' style that we saw in the trailer?... As soon as I saw the car begin to approach the dairy (Yes Helgecko, DAIRY!) where we saw it parked (in the trailer) I started laughing - way way early before anyone else. Embarrassing! :lol:

Anyway, there's no doubt it'll be a big hit here when it opens next week (the 25th). It's very very kiwi - there's probably a thousand things that foreigners won't notice, or that won't mean as much to unknowing eyes. And ears! You guys are definitely gonna have to bring your listening equipment - even I had trouble catching some of the dialogue due to the super thick (thuck!) rural maori accents. Chur! Oh there's quite a lot of bad language, and a lot of drug stuff too (marajuana) if you're concerned about that -- but both are kind of integral to the story. Alamein's character especially. He really IS a 'major egg'! :lol:

I can't wait for it to be released overseas so I can hear what all you guys think! But it's so totally UN-American-movie-like I have trouble believing it'll catch a wide audience, even though it probably deserves it. Maybe something like whatever 'Whale Rider' did? How many got to see that? Nevermind, I'll act as your DVD supplier if it doesn't get a distributor!

Meantime, I'm gonna go see it again once it opens, and don't trust any goats. (That's not as random a line as it might appear - but you're gonna have to see the film to know what I'm talking about!) Hee! :D
Last edited by Great H on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:15 pm

We Amurican indie movie viewers love the exotic! I'm so psyched. So psyched. And I might have to take you up on that offer. Squeeeeeee!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:15 pm

:yay: Thank you so much for sharing your opinion on the film, Great H! You must have had a wonderful time watching it! I'm very curious as to which part of the film you didn't like but of course, I don't want you to spoil it for anyone. I really hope I get to see it over here at some point. :D
&

Great H

Postby Great H » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Oh I forgot!
Even though Taika couldn't be there, he'd done a short 'sorry I couldn't be there guys' film for them to screen for us before the main event. I really really really hope it finds it's way online somehow - I can't begin to describe it, but it was absolutely hilarious! Smart move too cos it put us all in a really good mood for the the real film! :D

Venus when I said I found myself really disliking Boy at one part, I meant Boy the character, not Boy the film... I didn't dislike the film at all, just that a few aspects of the kid's character were less likeable - but those bits needed to be there to make him a fully rounded character I think. Top marks to Taika for that!

Oh the Haka/Thriller dance at the end made us all leave with a smile too... :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Oooooooooh, GreatH- Thanks for that proud and excited review!! It sounds as fabulous as I'd imagined and I can't wait to see it. *fingers crossed*
ImageImage

Return to “Taika Waititi (aka Cohen)”