BOY (aka The Volcano) - Taika's new feature length film

Director, writer, actor, comedian and artist.

Moderator: Venus

Re: BOY (aka The Volcano) - Taika's new feature length film

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Thankfully I have a DVD player that can play any region DVD...so whenever it's released to DVD anywhere, I can buy it and watch it :D
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby Great H » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:49 pm

kipples wrote:The Galway film Fleadh is in July and the programme is yet to be announced so fingers crossed it will be included in that
Send them a helpful 'suggestion' email Kipples! (Actually they've probably already got their films all set, but it's worth a shot anyway eh?)
kipples wrote:Using the power of mathematics, we're looking at a Aug - Sep release here, and by here I mean(hope) Ireland.
Sadly it doesn't even get it's Australian release till August 25 so you might be waiting a bit longer - but maybe not too much if it goes over well at that Edinburgh film fest Venus spotted! :D ...*crosses fingers*
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby kipples » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 pm

Great H wrote: Sadly it doesn't even get it's Australian release till August 25 so you might be waiting a bit longer - but maybe not too much if it goes over well at that Edinburgh film fest Venus spotted! :D ...*crosses fingers*

Ah bloody damnity, damnity, damn damn ! But yea, hopefully it won't be too long of a wait.

Great H wrote:Send them a helpful 'suggestion' email Kipples! (Actually they've probably already got their films all set, but it's worth a shot anyway eh?)

Most excellent idea! I'll do that now :bolt:
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:12 am

I emailed the Galway film fleadh and they said it was too late for this year but the lady said she would check it out herself.

In related news that hasn't been posted here yet, Boy won the 2010 Sydney Film Festival Audience Award for a Fiction Feature Film. First time in 20 years a Kiwi film has won!
Go Taika!
kipples

Postby helgecko » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:24 am

kipples wrote:In related news that hasn't been posted here yet, Boy won the 2010 Sydney Film Festival Audience Award for a Fiction Feature Film. First time in 20 years a Kiwi film has won!
Go Taika!

I was just going to post that myself :lol:
So awesome!! :yay:

List of Syd Film Festival winners:
http://sff.org.au/cms/default.asp?contentID=24
http://sff.org.au/cms/default.asp?contentID=218
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image
helgecko

Postby LauraK » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:43 am

:clap: Congrats to Taika!! That's wonderful and well-deserved! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Congratulations to Taika :clap:

About film piracy:
Boy director: Pirating harms whole film industry

Published: 3:40PM Wednesday June 23, 2010
Source: NZPA/ONE News

Click here to watch the video

The director of the hit New Zealand film Boy says the circulation of pirated copies of the movie ultimately harms the whole New Zealand film industry.

Taika Waititi's comment comes after it was revealed Boy had been made illegally available online and through pirated DVDs.

He says it's already tough for New Zealand filmmakers to profit from their work and piracy only makes that harder.

Three copies of the film, a coming-of-age tale set in the East Coast and directed by Taika Waititi, are available on a pirate music and video sharing website.

Waititi says he has heard that some people who are involved in pirating movies had decided not to do it with Boy because it's a local, Maori film but it seems it's not that way for everyone.

At least 200 people have already downloaded the film.

The source of the uploads was being investigated by the New Zealand Federation Against Copyright Theft.

Boy has made $8.4 million at the domestic box office since its release in March, making it the third highest-grossing New Zealand film behind Once Were Warriors and Goodbye Pork Pie.

"It's a sad day for the New Zealand film industry when something like this happens," said New Zealand Film Commission chief executive Graeme Mason in a statement.

Such revelations illustrated the growing threat of online copyright theft to the New Zealand film industry, he said.
Boy was made available on a peer-to-peer filesharing site this month - potentially hurting its upcoming DVD and Australian release, Mason said.

"Whilst Boy has already been a tremendous success at the New Zealand box office, it is yet to be released overseas. There's no telling how much the film's true international potential has been hurt by piracy."

The film was set for an Australian general release in August -- with early indications of a repeat of the film's New Zealand success after screening to sell out audiences at the Sydney Film Festival.

Boy was financed by the NZ Film Fund, NZ Film Commission (NZFC), Unison Films, NZ On Air, Maori Television Service and Te Mangai Paho.

"Ultimately piracy hurts not only those directly involved in making the film, but those who work in the wider industry," Mason said.

Strong returns on movies such as Boy enabled the NZFC to invest more money into developing more New Zealand stories, he said.

Boy is yet to be released overseas or on DVD.

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:56 pm

That's bad they are pirating it, but jeez. I would like to see this dang movie! I think it was a crime it wasn't picked up at Sundance. It's frustrating waiting for it.

But it was kind of sweet in a weird way that some of the pirates wouldn't touch "Boy" because it was a local film! :D

ETA: on my Euro-trash Pandora channel, Tiesto's "He's a Pirate" just started playing. LMAO!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby Venus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:46 pm

Boy wonder: Novice makes top grossing film
KYLIE NORTHOVER
August 10, 2010

THE performance of 11-year-old James Rolleston in the lead role of Boy, a new film from New Zealand, has been widely praised as brilliant, but when you learn it's his first acting gig, it's astonishing.

The indie film, a coming-of-age story set in a remote Maori community, premiered at the prestigious Sundance Film Festival in the US, and is written, directed by and stars Taika Waititi, a filmmaker, comedian and actor already a celebrity in New Zealand.

Waititi had already chosen a lead for Boy, but when he met James, who had never even acted in a school play, he changed his mind.

Photos:
Acting novice breaks a record
James Rolleston and director and actor Taika Waititi. Photo: Rebecca Hallas

..''It's the only time I've ever acted,'' James says. ''I don't know if it was hard, because it was my first time.''

''He just launched himself into it, he was so enthusiastic about it,'' adds Waititi, in Melbourne with James this week for a special preview screening. ''It was awesome - he was just being himself.''

Set in 1984, in a remote underprivileged town on the east coast, Boy is the story of a kid named Boy, who lives with his little brother, his grandmother and a slew of cousins who have been deserted by their family. Boy's heroes are Michael Jackson and his dad, Alamein, who has been in prison for several years, but who Boy likes to think has actually been living a heroic life. When Alamein gets out of jail, Boy discovers his dad may not be the man he thought he was.

James, who has been lauded for his poignant, funny performance, says he enjoyed the film-making experience, but isn't quite ready for a thespian's life just yet.

''I like to do a bit of acting part-time, but I also want to get my own hunting show or maybe be a marine biologist,'' he says. ''I love the outdoors.''

Waititi grew up in the area where the film is set, and drew on some aspects of his own life - most notably the Michael Jackson references, the best of which is a wickedly funny Maori version of the cast doing the Thriller dance mixed in with a haka.

''We used to do weird, hybrid things like that when we were young,'' he says of the Maori-Jackson mash-ups.

''It's just that it was before the internet, so nobody knows about it.''

The Maori community life depicted in the film is also, he says, similar to his own upbringing, as well as James's.

''We were both brought up by our grandmothers - James still lives with his - and had similar background to the characters,'' Waititi says of the extended family life.

''I think that's normal in a lot of indigenous communities outside of cities, poor places. I think it's actually a rich upbringing, though.''

Boy has become the top-grossing New Zealand film ever, and has drawn comparisons with the films of American indie director Wes Anderson.

''It's amazing , I didn't expect it all,'' Waititi says of his second feature. His first was Eagle vs Shark, starring Jermaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords, for which Waititi has also written.

''New Zealand films make about $NZ2 million or $NZ3 million [$A1.6 million to $A2.4 million] if they're popular, but this film's made $NZ9.3 million! And I don't think the fact it was at Sundance mattered - people in New Zealand don't really care about that sort of stuff, especially in the communities that have been going to see the film.''

Waititi is working on another script and hopes to cast James again.

''We're definitely going to work together again and there's lots of stuff I want to make in New Zealand,'' he says. ''I've just got to hurry up and do it before James gets too old.''

Taika Waititi and James Rolleston appear at a special preview of Boy at the Cinema Nova tonight, followed by a Q&A session moderated by Alan Brough. Boy is released nationally on August 26.

Source
&
Venus

Postby helgecko » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:49 am

Aw nice article and great photos :D :heart:

Uhm, I'm going to another advance screening of Boy this evening, including Q&A with Taika and James :whitey:

Image Image Image Image
helgecko

Postby Venus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:51 am

You must report back all the details, hel! :yay:
&
Venus

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:48 pm

hel, how did the screening go? Inquiring minds must know!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby Venus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 pm

:nod: Looking forward to your account of the evening, hel! :)

Congrats to Taika for being the finalist in 13 categories for the Quantas Film & Television awards!:

Cinema's big awards night out
6:47 AM Thursday Aug 12, 2010

James Rolleston is up for best actor in Boy. Photo / Supplied

The year of Boy continues with the film being the front-runner at this year's Qantas Film and Television Awards.

Taika Waititi's hit comedy, which has grossed more than $9 million at the New Zealand box office, is a finalist in 13 categories. Waititi himself is up for best director, best screenplay and best supporting actor - where he's up against young Te Aho Eketone-Whitu who played Boy's younger brother Rocky.

First-timer James Rolleston, who played Boy, is up against veterans Tony Barry (Home By Christmas) and Stephen Papps (Russian Snark), and the film features in almost every other feature film category, including best picture.

Gaylene Preston's docudrama Home By Christmas has the second strongest showing, with her nomination for best director, the nod for Barry, as well being up for best picture, among others.

Despite lukewarm local box office and critical reaction, both Under The Mountain and The Vintner's Luck come away with seven and six nominations apiece. The Vintner's Luck's leading ladies, American Vera Farmiga and Keisha Castle-Hughes feature in the best actress and best supporting actress sections respectively, while Under The Mountain would seem to be a front-runner in both the visual effects and makeup design categories for its aliens.

And it would seem Wellington sound designer Tim Prebble has only himself to beat in the best sound category _ he features in all three nominations, having worked on the sonic teams for Boy, Home By Christmas and Under the Mountain.

Full list of film finalists here.

Full list of television finalists here.

-TimeOut

Source
&
Venus

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:27 am

helgecko wrote:Aw nice article and great photos :D :heart:

Uhm, I'm going to another advance screening of Boy this evening, including Q&A with Taika and James :whitey:

No freaking way. :D That's so great, Hel. How was it?
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby helgecko » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:42 am

Hi guys :D :hug:

Okay, so there's not a whole lot to tell about the Q&A, it was pretty low-key.
It was great though, and I just have to say on a brief superficial note: Taika's gorgeous in real life :heart:

It was so awesome seeing James as well, and he got a big round of applause when he came out :D
He was basically like any 12 (?) yr old boy would be in that situation, and his answers were mostly along the line of "yea", "aw.. nah", and "it was good". So cute :D

There wasn't a huge crowd there, and some people actually left after the movie (???)
I don't know WHY they paid $20 just to watch a movie...? Anyway...

So, Taika introduced the movie briefly at the start, and then apparently (we found out after) while we were watching he went and picked up his Sydney Film Festival Audience Favourite Award (or whatever it was called). And then he showed it to us after the movie :D

A lot of the Q&A was stuff that was pretty familiar after reading interviews and so on. One thing I didn't realise though was that the boy that was originally going to play Boy was the bully! You know, Boy's classmate's older brother? Crazy. I can't imagine him in that role.

Taika said he's been reading scripts, but a lot of them are really crap (and that's why he's written his own in the past), and he's also working on a few new ideas of his own. I think he implied that he might be making a few movies of his own in the US in the future. (I think that's what he meant)

I hadn't really thought of a question to ask (except maybe to ask who would win in a fight between Alamein and Jarrod :lol: ), but after seeing the movie again, and actually finding it a lot sadder the second time around, I thought of something. This isn't word for word, but I asked something along the lines of "Do you think audiences have been taken by surprise by how sad the movie is? It's kind of been promoted as a comedy, but it's actually heartbreaking."
And yeah, it was good, Taika kind of spoke about it for a while. He said that he thought some probably had been taken by surprise. He was saying how it is really hard to market the sort of movies he makes, and how they'd struggled with that with Eagle vs. Shark (like, do you say "It's really funny!... but with sad bits"?). He said that in America EvS had been marketed as this a hilarious comedy, and people came out quite confused saying "yeah, it was kind of funny... but also really depressing" :lol:

He said that he's quite proud of the Kiwi and Aus (I'm sure he just chucked in the Aus reference for our benefit :wink: ) sense of humour, how it really likes that darker, comedy-in-tragedy style. He said that Boy in the US had been seen far more as a drama than as a comedy (and he said that was something to do with "their strange attitude... to child neglect" :lol: )

Someone asked whether he thought Aussies laughed in the same places in the movie as the Kiwis and he said "yeah... maybe just in a slightly different accent. A bit higher pitched." and then immitated an Aussie accented laugh. That was awesome :roll2:

Uhh.. that's all I can really remember for now. If I think of other highlights I'll let you know :D

Image Image Image Image
helgecko

PreviousNext

Return to Taika Waititi (aka Cohen)