It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:51 pm

BOY (aka The Volcano) - Taika's new feature length film

Director, writer, actor, comedian and artist.

Moderator: Venus

Re: BOY (aka The Volcano) - Taika's new feature length film

Postby Venus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

Hehe, I read about him saying that on Twitter. Taika :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby kipples » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:48 pm

I watched my copy of Boy late last night/very early this morning and was just too wrecked to post my feelings on it. I'm finding it hard to put into words how much I liked it without gushing. In a nutshell, I love it. It's easy to see why it's won all the awards it has.

It's unbelievably believable! The child actors are incredibly natural. Dallas and the girl who's sunbathing at the beginning ( :lol: ) are probably my favourite non-main characters.
All the fantasy bits, his dad breaking out of jail, the Micheal Jackson dance scenes, are just beautifully dream like. And the soundtrack is some of the most emotional music I've ever heard.

I watched it again with the commentary and although he didn't really give a whole load of information about the scenes exactly, a lot of it is hilarious. I was actually crying with laughter at some points.

One negative thing I've taken from it though, is that I don't think I want to be a member of the Crazy Horses Gang any more! That's not a nice gang.
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Great H » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:48 am

Feel free to gush Kipples!
The kids are the cutest! (I liked the little little kids - particularly when they got stuck in the fence with the pink fluffy handcuffs!)
And don't worry, I don't think the crazy horses ever got around to doing any actual damage! :lol:

(BTW, part two of your kiwi education is in the post first thing tomorrow)
:D
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby kipples » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:52 am

:yay: and Tongan Ninja and Eagle vs Shark should be with me soon too :supz: :D
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby vmh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:47 pm

Boy is one of the World Cinema selections for AFI Fest this year! As a volunteer, I'm thrilled! I wonder if Taika will be there. Imagine getting to see Taika not once, but twice in the same year. Los Angeles is so spoiled. :bounce:

http://www.afi.com/afifest/pdf/AFIFEST2010FullProgram.pdf
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:52 pm

I'm about half way through the movie 'Boy' right now and so far, it is absolutely charming. I'm loving every minute of it and find myself laughing out loud. It is sad, real, and the tone of it just yanks my heart out. I'm terrified to see the rest...I'm so fearful for Boy and Rocky. Taika is a talented man, that's for sure. He can be so 'in your face' with his storytelling, then the next second the subtleties of the minor characters are so delicate and rich. There are quite a few actors in it that I recognise from Eagle vs Shark too! He likes to work with his friends, I guess. :lol:

Great H was sweet enough to purchase a copy and ship it to me. I would be glad to loan it around the US if anyone is in need. It is Region 4, so either the computer or a region free player. PM me.

I'm off to watch the rest. 8) It's so hard to resist screencapping bit of it. :)
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Great H » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:15 am

You stopped halfway Nonch? That's very restrained of you! :lol:
Glad you're liking it... (and that it actually got there!)
:hug:
Great H

Postby Venus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:50 pm

Yay, hope you enjoyed the whole film, nonch! :D Yes, it was cool seeing a few familiar faces in the film. :)
&
Venus

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:44 pm

I was compelled to stop midway through due to the departure of my co-viewer, and was made to promise not to finish without her. I always keep my promises. :? Anyways....we finished it last night. I have to dash, but will be back with my thoughts and probably a zillion questions about New Zealand culture...so be prepared. :lol:

Is the soundtrack available? I'm thinking I probably need it.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby emira » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:07 pm

Heya! I saw the movie at the cinema last weekend. There was just me and 3 other people in the room, so it was like a date with Taika. :D I can't wait to order the film on DVD in my region. I hope it'll be with Taika's commentary as well.

nonchalant obsession wrote:Is the soundtrack available? I'm thinking I probably need it.

Yes, it is, from Amplifier. :heart:

ADD

Yay! I've just noticed it's been one year and one day since I joined the forum! :drinkers: :folkon:
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Venus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Ah, I'm jealous of those who have seen/will see the film on the big screen. I love having the DVD and would love seeing it in the cinema too so hopefully there'll be screenings in London sometime soon. :)

emira wrote:Yay! I've just noticed it's been one year and one day since I joined the forum! :drinkers: :folkon:

:yay: Congrats, emira! :hug: :supz:
&
Venus

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:43 pm

I'll have to order that... Put it on my Christmas list.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:06 pm

I know the Poi E mix video was linked here, but this is the whole final dance... :heart: don't watch if you want to be surprised, but it doesn't give anything away about the story. It stops before the goat bit. :wink:

Thriller Haka to Poi E From Taika Waititi's "Boy" It's awsome!

Thanks for the link to the soundtrack, emira! Cheers on the anniversary too! :partyman:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby vmh » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:18 pm

I'd like to thank AFI for giving us Los Angelenos the opportunity to see Boy last night. It played at Mann's Chinese 6, right next door to the legendary Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Even though I've already seen it, it was wonderful getting to see it on the big screen. The audience loved it. People were laughing at all the right parts and everyone applauded and cheered after the credits rolled. And that makes me happy. :D

Taika was there to introduce the film and he was his usual charming self. He seemed better rested than the last time I saw him a month ago and he was looking quite handsome in his suit. He came back after the film for a quick Q&A.

We got to meet him again afterward. My friend took some videos while we were waiting.

We weren't the only ones smitten with Taika. :wink:

Kiwis in LA

A video for one of the members at fotcmb. It's too cute not to share.

"Jessica, I'm walking backwards for you."
:heart:

When my friend said we met him at his discussion a few weeks ago, I think it confused him. I wanted to correct her and say we met him at the Take 100 panel a month or so ago but I let it go. We were being pushed out of the theatre at that point but he stuck around after to talk to everyone. We got a few, new photos with him and HE PUT HIS ARM AROUND ME. *swoon* I leaned in closer to him during the second shot. He's just the right height for nuzzling. I refrained from doing so but it's good to know. I thanked him and when I went to shake his hand, he looked me directly in the eyes and clasped my hand with both of his hands and smiled. :love: It's the little gestures that get me.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby Great H » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:06 pm

Lucky you! :D
I'm glad to see Boy is getting some play over there - they really are trying to get it a distributor aren't they?! *fingers crossed!*
Great H

PreviousNext

Return to Taika Waititi (aka Cohen)