It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:07 am

Scarfies - Taika on UK TV tonight

Director, writer, actor, comedian and artist.

Moderator: Venus

Scarfies - Taika on UK TV tonight

Postby Chica » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:13 pm

I just spotted that Scarfies, starring Taika Cohen, will be on Movies4Men2 tonight at midnight. It's Sky channel 339. A nice curiosity for those interested in the wider Conchords family.
Chica
Half a shapely halibut

Postby The_Kiwi_Fruit » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:34 am

I really should watch this film. As I'm due to become a scarfie in less than a month now. Because I'm starting university and I'm moving down to Dunedin to go to Otago Uni, coz there is no medical school in wellington. So I have to move away from wellington which is my city. (haha I'll take my passport and look at how it tells me i was born here, and it was authorised here... thanks for the advice bret) Although i have a feeling this film might freak me out. it's the one about binge drinking isn't it. :drinkers: I'm allergic to beer (no barley for me)

but even if I'm techniqually a scarfie. I am always going to be a wellingtonian. I'm emotionally attached.
The_Kiwi_Fruit
Keeping it funky

Postby beck » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:52 am

Scarfies is a pretty good film. A couple-a old Victoria film/theatre students in there!

Kiwifruit, don't move away from Wellington! Dunedin is pooooos...but it does have the med school going for it...
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin
beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby The_Kiwi_Fruit » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:19 pm

beck wrote:Kiwifruit, don't move away from Wellington! Dunedin is pooooos...but it does have the med school going for it...

lol don't worry I'm going to miss wellington heaps. The song coming back home by the black seeds is already making me feel home sick. :( and yesterday i went shopping and i felt sad, coz i love just walking around wellington. but I'm sure Dunedin will be great too. i mean nowhere in the country compares with wellington naturally. but dunedin isn't bad. and when it came to choice of medical school, auckland vrs dunedin. What can i say.
The_Kiwi_Fruit
Keeping it funky

Re: Scarfies - Taika on UK TV tonight

Postby nzonscreen » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:28 pm

There's a 10 min clip from Scarfies on the NZ On Screen site: http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/scarfies-1999 - not quite as cool as the whole thing, but a start!
nzonscreen
New arrival

Postby Great H » Sun May 16, 2010 10:40 am

I was wandering the aisles of the video store last night looking for Snakeskin (which I recently learned had Taika in it) when I spotted Scarfies - another kiwi film I missed while I was living in London. Since it's written by Robert and Duncan Sarkies (and I'm reading Duncan's book Two Little Boys at the moment) I thought I'd check it out.

I had no idea from the cover that Taika was even in it, let alone STARRING in it, so it was a lovely surprise! :D
The film centres on 5 Otago University students (scarfies) who get themselves into a whole lot of trouble, and Taika is one of the five - he has a LOT of screen time. He was Taika Cohen then though, not Waititi, and a fair bit younger too!

Here is he painted up in Otago rugby colours...

and one of his cast bio pages... (why am I not surprised the word 'antics' is used in relation to Taika?) :lol:

Anyway, the film was a lot of fun - worth a watch if you're into a little bit of Kiwi culture. (You see quite a bit of Dunedin where it's set, and the soundtrack seems to be mostly Dunedin bands which is kinda cool). There was one short scene I could've done without (scatalogical humour), but the rest was very entertaining. Check it out if you're interested...

Alas I haven't found a trailer still online anywhere, but nzonscreen (above) posted this link to a couple of short excerpts. Netflix has it, though weirdly it's called Crime 101 for the US market - I guess they (no doubt rightly) figured no-one outside of NZ would have a clue what a scarfie is! :lol:

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sun May 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks, Great H! I put that on my Netflix queue. Nice!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby Red » Sun May 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Cool! Thanks Great H. I think I'll add it to my queue. And your correct, I have no idea what a scarfie is.
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Return to Taika Waititi (aka Cohen)