It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:51 pm

Random Taika Goodness

Director, writer, actor, comedian and artist.

Moderator: Venus

Re: Random Taika Goodness

Postby Venus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:50 pm

emira wrote:
vmh wrote:Awww, Taika is so pretty in pink.

Yes, he does :drool: So does in red :heart:

Don't you think his glasses look like the present Jemaine's one? :D

Oh yeah, they do. :nod:
He totally pulls off that look (amongst many others!). :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:13 am

Director of Sundance Film Fest picks 10 best new filmmakers
January 20th, 2011 by Perrin Drumm

Algenis Perez in SUGAR (2008), directed by Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden

Trevor Groth started working for Sundance as an intern in 1991. Now, twenty years later, he’s the director of programming for the annual film festival. It’s safe to say that in his time here he’s seen his fair share of films. Last year he collaborated on “Take 100: The Future of Film: 100 New Directors,” a painstakingly thorough compendium of who’s who amongst those directors just beginning to make a name for themselves. It was published by Phaidon in May, but in anticipation of the 2011 Sundance Film Festival, we present Groth’s top ten most promising filmmakers to watch (as of last year), keeping in mind that after the events of these next ten days he might be making a few adjustments in his lineup.

Directors: Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden, SUGAR (2008)

“Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden are a soft-spoken couple who carry a big moviemaking stick. Their insights into the human condition, and their facility in transferring them to the screen intact, pack a mighty punch that enlightens as much as it entertains. The duo is out in front of the pack and sure to be standing in the winner’s circle for years to come.”

Director: Sophie Barthes, COLD SOULS (2009)

“Sophie Barthes is here to stay, and inevitably here to shine. The filmmaker not only knows how to capture an audience’s attention but its imagination and philosophical prowess as well. And whether or not she sticks to the genre of science fiction or ventures to another one altogether, her future work remains some of the most anticipated in the independent film community.”

Directors: Jay and Mark Duplass, BAGHEAD (2008)

“The Duplass brothers are self-aware filmmakers who are serious about their craft yet don’t take themselves too seriously. Roving camera angles and sublime reaction shots detail the sometimes awkward byplay between the characters as their true feelings and foibles rise to the surface. Baghead is a slight movie by design, but it goes further than expected in pushing the boundaries of no-budget independent filmmaking.”

Director: Jody Hill, THE FOOT FIST WAY (2006)

“The Foot Fist Way is a film that demands repeat viewing so that the hilarious one-liners have a chance to sink in. Hill looks at martial arts as it exists in the real world, and, more pointedly, in the southern U.S. The film creates hilarity through real-life emotions and reactions rather than mockery. McBride and Hill understand that the funniest moments are ones the audiences can relate to. Small in scope but big in laughs, The Foot Fist Way marked the emergence of Hill as a filmmaker with a black belt in funny.”

Director: Nash Edgerton, THE SQUARE (2008)

“Nash’s direction focuses on storytelling, and his command of the material is total. He builds tension and intrigue almost flawlessly, making audiences pay attention by not spelling everything out. The Square is as stylish as it is unsettling, and its ever-building momentum will grip you and leave you breathless—as much from the film as from knowing that you’re witnessing the swift emergence of directorial force coming up from Down Under.”

Director: Jean-Stephane Sauvaire, JOHNNY MAD DOG (2008)

“Sauvaire grasps the gravity of his film’s issues, yet serves them in a hyper-stylish, almost surreal package that exhibits a true visionary at work. Beautifully conceived, the film’s fluid camera movements and engaging stylistics bring color, depth, and immediacy to almost every scene. Presenting true-to-life experience in place of classic narrative structure, Johnny Mad Dog is a gripping, poetic, disturbing, provocative, thrilling, and terrifyingly primitive experience that screams “this is what filmmaking is all about!” with every frame.”

Director: Cary Fukunaga, SIN NOMBRE (2009)

“Sin Nombre employs a kind of documentary style, but it never comes from a place of ego or irrelevance. And through traditional storytelling, and strong emphases on all aspects of cinema, including cinematography, sound, and editing, the camera almost seems to function as an integral character in the film. Universal Studios is already on board for Fukunaga next film, and it’ll be fascinating to see where he goes with it in terms of content and scope.”

Director: Rian Johnson, BRICK (2005)

“Brick has a unique voice that is by no means a fluke, and it is a sincere and stimulating first film that just screams of promise. For his follow-up, Johnson secured a bigger budget and made The Brothers Bloom (2008), a globe-trotting caper movie starring Adrien Brody, Mark Ruffalo, and Rachel Weisz. Judging from Johnson’s ability to make big things from limited resources, I can only imagine what type of ride this will allow him to take audiences on—undoubtedly an exhilarating one.”

Director: Sarah Polley, AWAY FROM HER (2006)

“The stamp of maturity in Polley’s direction comes at the end of the film. While it would have been easy to fade out on a down note, she instead shows Fiona and Grant dancing, followed by a shot of a young Fiona when she still had the “spark of life”. The spark is something that Polley has to the extreme, and she uses it to enlighten anyone lucky enough to see her graceful work.”

Director: Taika Waititi, EAGLE VS SHARK (2007)
“Instead of making us laugh at the antics of Lily and Jarrod, we laugh with them. Pulling off this kind of balance would be a real challenge for any filmmaker, and first-timer Waititi lives up to it with great skill. Even for all its outrageous moments, the film maintains a captivating level of depth that is missing from most others produced under the same limiting genre classifications.”
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Great H » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Has anyone heard anything about 'Super City'?
It's a new series starting here on Saturday - apparently directed by Taika!
Here's a linkee, and there's a facebook page too.
How have I missed this?! I'm not convinced it'll be any good (I'm not really a Madeleine Sami fan), but I'll give it a go just for Taika's sake!
:D
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby emira » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:55 am

Great H wrote:How have I missed this?!

You should follow World of Taika updates :P

:D
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Great H » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:22 pm

emira wrote:
Great H wrote:How have I missed this?!

You should follow World of Taika updates :P :D
:nod: :lol:
Great H

Postby Venus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Taika Waititi yearns for sweet smell of... home
By Bevan Hurley
5:30 AM Sunday Feb 13, 2011

Taika Waititi yearns for New Zealand but is too busy in the United States to return yet. Photo / Martin Sykes

You can take the Boy out of New Zealand, but it seems all that Taika Waititi - on the cusp of big success Stateside - wants to do is come home.

The multi-talented film-maker has just completed a pilot for an MTV remake of hit UK comedy The Inbetweeners, and finds out in a month if it will be picked up for a full season.

Waititi will also appear in his first Hollywood film The Green Lantern, due for release later this year, and directs new TV3 comedy Super City, starring Madeleine Sami.

Plus, his smash hit Boy will finally get its general release in the United States this year, after making $9.3 million last year to become the highest grossing New Zealand film.

Speaking from his Los Angeles home, Waititi said he would "love to be living at home but right now there are more opportunities over here. At the moment I have these opportunities to live and play in other cities, but I'm always going to live at home."

For the next three months at least, Waititi will be in LA where he is working on scripts for film and TV projects.

Waititi has directed episodes of Flight of the Conchords, but Super City, which premiered on Friday, is his first full series.

Sione's Wedding star Sami plays all five lead characters - including a male Muslim taxi driver, a lesbian gym instructor and a homeless rogue.

Waititi described it as similar to popular "mocku-mentaries" The Office and Summer Heights High, but with real people.

"The homeless characters we got to shoot in the Auckland City Mission with real streeties. We cast those people as themselves. By the end of the episode you are totally engrossed in what the characters are doing."

Although Super City was about the diversity of the new Auckland, Waititi said the characters were universal. The Green Lantern, a big-budget remake of the DC Comics favourite, is Waititi's first acting foray into Hollywood blockbuster territory.

"It was my first experience of that sort of thing. I would do a blockbuster again, but it all depends on the project."

Congrats to Taika for BOY getting a general US release! :clap: (The UK & Ireland next please!)
&
Venus

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:36 am

:yay: :yay: :cheer: :woohoo:

Looking forward to seeing it when it's released here. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby vmh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:19 am

I'm sorry he misses home but I'm also glad to hear that he's in L.A. for the next few months. Bittersweet as.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby emira » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:21 pm

Taika was on the jury at Berlinale and yesterday he gave the Grand Prix to a Polish director Dorota Kędzierzawska for Jutro będzie lepiej (Tomorrow will be better). The same prize he won last year for BOY! I'm so proud and grateful! :heart:
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Great H » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Oh I saw a Berlin-ish tweet from him and wondered what the heck it was about! Thanks Emira! :D
Great H

Postby Venus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:51 pm

emira wrote:Taika was on the jury at Berlinale and yesterday he gave the Grand Prix to a Polish director Dorota Kędzierzawska for Jutro będzie lepiej (Tomorrow will be better). The same prize he won last year for BOY! I'm so proud and grateful! :heart:

That's wonderful news! :D

Loved reading this article in which Poland gets a mention ;)

Berlin Festival stakes claim to our Boy
By Helen Barlow
5:30 AM Thursday Feb 17, 2011

Taika Waititi's Boy is still heading out into the world nearly a year after the start of its record-breaking New Zealand cinematic run. But right now the director-actor is on jury service - he's part of the Berlin Film Festival panel judging the youth-oriented Generation Kplus section where he won the best film prize last year for Boy.

"This is my first jury, I've judged other films and stuff and I've also made personal judgments on other films," he says. "It's really cool because I hardly get to see many films and here I'm watching four films a day. It's not coalmining, but it's hard work."

The Berlin Festival, which also screened his debut feature Eagle vs Shark , has welcomed him back and claimed him as one of their own.

"It's obviously nice to come back. It's a great city even if it's better in summer," he says, foggy-breathed from the German winter.

"I lived here for two years at the end of the 90s. I was painting and had a studio here. That was what my life was before ... ."

Now he notes that Boy, which so far has been released only in New Zealand and Australia, is set for release in Sweden and Poland - "they love New Zealand films there; Scarfies and Eagle vs Shark released in Poland!" The film comes out in the US later in the year and Waititi will be based in Los Angeles for much of 2011.

"I never say I'm living in the States but I'll probably be there most of this year. I feel a bit weird about that."

Still, living in Los Angeles has its advantages. The day he arrived there after the Berlin Festival last year he was asked to audition for Green Lantern, the fantasy blockbuster (directed by expatriate New Zealander Martin Campbell) where he appears alongside Ryan Reynolds and Gossip Girl Blake Lively, who is a big fan of Flight of the Conchords and of Waititi in particular.

"I had to crowbar her off me at one stage," he quips. Temuera Morrison also appears in the film, which Waititi describes as a cool experience.

In Berlin he's using his down time to meet potential co-producer partners for future projects.

"I'm quite keen on exploring New Zealand and European co-productions because I might be working here at some point, so I'm trying to figure out how I might easily finance things."

While he recently directed the pilot for a US MTV remake of hit UK comedy The Inbetweeners, and is waiting to hear if the show will go ahead, Waititi has not decided if he will direct the series himself.

"Even if the show gets picked I don't have to commit to doing it just because I directed the pilot. I can decide on that later."

In the meantime, don't count on him walking along the Berlin Festival's red carpet.

"We went to True Grit on opening night but I ran around the back to go into the theatre," he confides. "I don't like hanging out with people who aren't my friends. I don't want to hang around with someone just because they're famous. It's just not my thing."

By Helen Barlow

Source
&
Venus

Postby emira » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:43 pm

Venus wrote:Loved reading this article in which Poland gets a mention ;)

Yes, we're very cool and I'll have hurt feelings if FOTC doesn't include Poland in their next European tour :hrmpf:
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Great H » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:12 am

Watched 'Super City' on telly last night - OMG what a complete car crash. Nothing wrong with Taika's contribution, but the whole premise and the acting and everything else was just abominable. I think it was supposed to be funny... at least I hope it was supposed to be funny, cos if it was trying to be taken seriously then it was 10 times worse! Taika should get his name disassociated from this show as soon as possible. It was truly truly awful. Worst NZ TV show I've ever seen, and that's really saying something! :lol:
Great H

Postby SheWolf » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:29 pm

Haha, tell it like it is H. :wink:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby emira » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:31 am

Taika's short film "The White Tiger" will be screened at The 2011 Native American Film + Video Festival in NYC on April 3rd. I think it's free. I haven't seen this film yet and I'd give anything to see at least a snap or two of it. :lol:
emira
Half a shapely halibut

PreviousNext

Return to Taika Waititi (aka Cohen)