It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:13 am

Taika writes original screenplay for Disney's "Moana"

Director, writer, actor, comedian and artist.

Moderator: Venus

Taika writes original screenplay for Disney's "Moana"

Postby Venus » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Disney’s Polynesian Princess, Moana – first image and exciting details
By Charles Madison | on October 20, 2014 |

I’ve been tracking the development of Walt Disney Animation’s Moana for a long time now. It’s set to be Disney’s next Princess movie, the other side of superhero antics with Big Hero 6 and the anthropomorphic animal cop story, Zootopia.

Though directors Ron Clements and John Musker still have a long way to sail with Moana before she’ll be comes ashore in cinemas, the studio today revealed the first official image. That’s it above, at the head of the post. It’s a concept illustration that shows Moana Waialiki and a chap Maui. He’s a demigod, she’s a girl.

In fact, Moana is the only girl in her family. Her father and her brothers are the latest in a long line of navigators, but she’s left behind on dry land. At least until…

Well, it’s early days yet so I’ll leave it there. I’m sure Disney would rather than the information comes out slowly, between now and Moana‘s release in late 2016. Here’s the plot description they blogged with the image.

Ron Clements and Jon Musker (the guys responsible for Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, The Princess and the Frog, and our childhoods), are back with a brand-new film for Walt Disney Animation Studios, Moana.

The film tells the story of Moana, a spirited teenager on an impossible mission to fulfill her ancestors’ quest. It’s set in the ancient South Pacific world of Oceania, and Moana, a born navigator, sets sail in search of a fabled island.

During her incredible journey, she teams up with her hero, the legendary demi-god Maui, to traverse the open ocean on an action-packed voyage, encountering enormous sea creatures, breathtaking underworlds and ancient folklore.

Of course, there are plenty of opportunities for things to change a lot along the way, though I will say that Ron and John are already busy creating a very exciting world with some very interesting characters, both human and not.

Though the image above is just a proof of concept, the film is expected to show off a very exciting, pioneering look that builds on the developments of Paperman and Feast to create a textured, fully 3D world that makes something of both computer graphics and bona fide drawing and painting expertise and disciplines.

Eagle vs Shark and What We Do In the Shadows‘ Taika Waititi wrote the original screenplay for Moana. I spoke to him about, just a little bit, a few months ago and as soon as I am allowed to share his comments with you, I will.

For now, though, enjoy the image and know that she’s coming. I’ve been very excited about Moana for a long time now and it’s great to pass a milestone like an official announcement.

Oh, and, you pronounce it Mo-Ah-Na, I have been told, not Mo-Anna or Moaner.

Source

So this is the Disney project Taika's been talking about in recent interviews. Very happy to hear about Taika's involvement. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Taika writes original screenplay for Disney's "Moana"

Postby Venus » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:30 pm

Spy: Taika talks Disney project
1:30 PM Tuesday Oct 28, 2014

Spy caught up with Oscar-nominated film-maker Taika Waititi after news this week his script for the new Disney film Moana has been given the green light.

"I was pretty nervous about Disney touching Polynesia with its big 'Merickern' hands, so thought the best chance we've got is to at least have one person from the Pacific involved," he told us.

Moana is Disney's first animated Polynesian movie and is set to hit screens late next year. It follows Moana's journey around the Pacific to find a fabled island, and will also feature a character named Maui.

Waititi's cynicism towards Hollywood is softening. "We'll still have to wait and see, but I've seen some early stuff and it looks ka pai."

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Return to Taika Waititi (aka Cohen)