What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC

Venus
 Post subject: Two Cars, One Night
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:20 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

From the official site:

Quote:
The Film
"There are a few moments in childhood that have a lasting impact. Not because they change the course of your life, or because they arrive with any great fanfare, in fact quite the opposite. Those are moments where an unexpected joy is found in the everyday, a moment of beauty in the ordinary. TWO CARS, ONE NIGHT captures one of those brief moments."

While waiting for their parents, two boys and a girl meet in the carpark of a rural pub. What at first seems to be a relationship based on rivalry soon develops into a close friendship. We learn that love can be found in the most unlikely of places.

The Cast
The cast were found at the same school, Te Kura Kaupapa Maaori o Maraenui, about 20km from Te Kaha pub where the film was shot. Although the children had never acted before, it became apparent in the auditions that they were naturals.

Romeo
Rangi Ngamoki

Polly
Hutini Waikato

Eddie
Te Ahiwaru Ngamoki-Richards

Awards
Best Performance/Best Technical Contribution/Best Script: NZ Film Awards 2003
Best Short Film – Panorama Section: Berlin Film Festival 2004
Best Drama Aspen Film Festival 2004
Prize of the Cinema Jury Oberhausen 2004
Best Editing – Drifting Clouds Film Festival 2004
Jury Prize – Newport Film Festival 2004
Best Short Film - Hamburg Short Film Festival 2004
Best Short Film – Seattle Film Festival 2004
Best Live Action Short Film – Melbourne International Film Festival 2004
Audience Award – National Geographic's All Roads Festival 2004
Grand Jury Prize for Best International Short Film - AFI Los Angeles Film Festival 2004

Source

The first time I saw it I was gripped from the beginning until the end and I truly believe this short film is an absolute gem! Such a beautiful short film about childhood and friendships. It may only last for 11 minutes but the characters and the story are put across in such a clever way and we are left to imagine what their back-stories could be and what could potentially happen next in their lives if they were to ever see each other again. I think that the ending is particularly sweet when the car pulls away and Romeo and Polly look at each other in a way that you know they wouldn't forget each other. My favourite line has got to be when Romeo explains why he wouldn’t sell a diamond ring: “’Cause then I wouldn’t have a diamond ring”. :)

The editing, the camera movement, lighting and the black and white nature of the film are all wonderful touches. I think the casting is superb too; the children did an excellent job.

What are your thoughts on Two Cars, One Night?

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

closet jemainiac
 Post subject: Re: Two Cars, One Night
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:53 pm 
---

excellent...my favorite was the brother :)

LauraK
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:59 pm 
Boom King!

And when he says that, you can see how much that plesed her! I knew she'd give him the ring then. :)

It was lovely.

I imagine that he never did forget her, compares other girls to her, and that he searches for Polly until he finally finds her. And they- cornily, in a movie-kind-of-way, live happily ever after. :D

Red
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:48 pm 
Getting lewd with the food

Cool! Thanks for posting this Venus. I was thinking just the other day that I'd like to see this.

helgecko
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:12 am 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Awesome! Thanks so much for putting that up Venus!
I've wanted to see it for ages but didn't realise it was online.

What a lovely little movie, huh?
So clever and sweet, but also very real-feeling. Taika's got a really deft touch. I love it :D

Image Image Image Image

Great H
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:33 pm 
Stop touching the monkeys

Oh that was lovely - it made me tear up a bit at the end! I like to imagine that they meet again when they're older and that he still has the ring!

That's the thing with a good short film - you get to imagine what happens after. It could be that the girl and her parents have a fatal drunk-driving accident 5 minutes after leaving the pub parking lot... but I prefer my version! :lol: The YouTube description says: 'BOY', Taika Waititi's feature film inspired by Two Cars, One Night, is due for release in April 2010 - so I wonder if we'll find out?!

I love the way light and sound was used in this - especially during the speeded up sequences, the cigarette light trails and when the girl yawned.

Thanks for posting this Venus!
:D :D

Venus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:12 am 
She did indeed have the time of her life

Yay, I'm glad you all enjoy it! At first I thought copyright issues were preventing Two Cars, One Night from being uploaded but it started being shared more widely on Internet sites such as film websites and YouTube a couple of weeks ago. It already has hundreds of thousands of views on YouTube which isn't surprising since there's alot of buzz around Taika directing 'BOY'. Yes Great H, I also wonder if there'll be a continuation of this story in Taika's new film. :)

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter