It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:15 am

Welcome to Uke Corner

A little cosy corner for our uke players to gather. Be you potential, beginner, intermediate or world expert on uke playing, this is the place for you.

Moderators: Nancy, SuzyBatt

Re: Welcome to Uke Corner

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Ukes=awesome! I am pretty hopeless at moment (uke only arrived this morning!).
Hopefully will be sounding a bit better by end of weekend. :rock: :D
It's a psychological analogy
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:53 pm

So I went into Marshall Music today and asked if they had a ukulele. They had ONE. A Fender concert ukulele. I put my hands on it, strummed it a couple times, and fell in LOVE with it. It was $300 so there was no way I was paying that. But now that I definitely know I want a concert uke. It felt just so right in my hands. Like...we were meant to be together. There's a Mahalo concert uke on Amazon for $50. I think I am going to buy it.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:18 pm

biscuit wrote:It's kind of pricey ordering all the way from NZ :worry: (I just spent all my money on ukes :lol: )

Nice save pretending the parcel was for your neighbour :wink: So how will you explain it's appearance later on? Good luck with playing! :rock:

I'm taking some tabs with me to practice in the car on our way to the south of Norway today. My husband can hardly wait to spend 5 hours in a confined space with two ukes and a guitar :rolls: It'll be like the phones4u ad, only slightly cooler 8) ..and much, much longer :lol:

'Like friendly hobo' again, eh?
Have a good trip! :D
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby biscuit » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:54 pm

The friendliest of hobos :lol:

The first half of the trip went really well, and my Heartache is close to perfect now 8) I need something else to practice on...

What do you reckon are good songs for beginners, Indy?

Does anyone know where I would be able to find uke chords for One By One?

I was hoping McKenzie would have arrived in the post at my mum and dad's, as I ordered him here from stringzone so that I would be sure to have him with me on holiday, but he's nowhere to be seen :( I'm crossing my fingers that he'll be here before I leave in the morning...

I rather fear I'll be stuck with Hayley the Ukulele for another week :P (my daughter is adopting the cheap Morgan and has already named her :lol: )
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:53 pm

Awesome uke name though! :D
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby biscuit » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:59 pm

Yes, I can't argue with the name :lol: My son has named his uke Miss January :worry: Seriously!

(It is a lot more innocent than it sounds though. In the Oxford Reading Tree books at school Kipper's teacher is named Miss May and that's how he came up with Miss January :lol: )

Oh, and I finally ordered the Kiwi uke book. It turned out NZ dollars aren't really worth a lot compared to local currency, so the book came out probably about a tenner (£) cheaper than it would have been to buy equivalent in high street shop. And that's including P&P :D
Last edited by biscuit on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
biscuit

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:02 am

Cool. Have not bonded with Helen yet - got stuck at work, and then remember was meant to be going for dinner....just returned. It is now bedtime.

Trip going well? Am also off home tomorrow, but that's only an hour away.... :D
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby biscuit » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:07 am

I wish my mum and dad lived closer...

Trip going good. In bed already with computer on tummy and whole family snoring around me :lol: Final leg on tour tomorrow will take us to the southern coast where we'll be having a good old seaside holiday 8)
biscuit

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:09 am

Is mainly good having parents nearby - indispensible when leg broken :D ALso can collect guitar. Pics to follow!

Have a cool seaside holiday! :D
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:11 am

I still can't decide between a concert and tenor uke. I really like the sound of a tenor uke - the fact you get that low G to fill out the chords a bit, but I also like the sound, size and price of the concert uke. What do you guys think? You guys know way more about this than I do.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby CailenBraern » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:50 am

I had two friends and an ex that all played ukulele. I'm very tempted.

As a lover...I was seriously inexperienced.
CailenBraern
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby biscuit » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Kel: I couldn't tell you, I'm afraid. I've only tried the soprano...I think :worry: I know far too little about ukes, but now that I'm gaining skills in playing I won't be as scared to go into a shop and try different kinds. :)

I also think I'm developing a serious addiction to buying ukes... Am already looking at Flukes for when I get better :D

McKenzie was a no-show today as well, so me and daughter is sharing Hayley the Ukulele for a week. She is getting really good too! I'm so impressed 8)
biscuit

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:09 pm

Kelly, it really is a personal choice. Try them out and go with what feels right.

biscuit, one of my favorite songs to play on the uke -- and an easy three-chord one -- is called Ukulele Me, by Stephin Merrit.

Sadly, it seems the tabs are nowhere to be found online anymore. For what it's worth, though, it's simply D, G and C.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:13 pm

biscuit wrote:Kel: I couldn't tell you, I'm afraid. I've only tried the soprano...I think :worry: I know far too little about ukes, but now that I'm gaining skills in playing I won't be as scared to go into a shop and try different kinds. :)

I also think I'm developing a serious addiction to buying ukes... Am already looking at Flukes for when I get better :D

McKenzie was a no-show today as well, so me and daughter is sharing Hayley the Ukulele for a week. She is getting really good too! I'm so impressed 8)

You guys could be like the Partridge Family...but with ukes
ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:15 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Kelly, it really is a personal choice. Try them out and go with what feels right.

biscuit, one of my favorite songs to play on the uke -- and an easy three-chord one -- is called Ukulele Me, by Stephen Merrit.

The only music store in town that had a uke, only had the concert uke. And as I said upthread, I put my hands on it and fell in love with it. Were it not for the $300 price tag, it'd be in my arms right now *sniffle*. HOWEVER, I really love the SOUND of a tenor uke. Though the concert and tenor seem to sound similar...maybe start with a concert and go from there?
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

PreviousNext

Return to Uke players corner