It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:20 am

Ideas for Uke Charities

A little cosy corner for our uke players to gather. Be you potential, beginner, intermediate or world expert on uke playing, this is the place for you.

Moderators: Nancy, SuzyBatt

Ideas for Uke Charities

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:37 am

We all enjoy playing our ukuleles. We know they bring us joy. Biscuit gave us the germ of an idea that could be a wonderful global campaign to put ukes in the hands of kids who have suffered devastation due to a catastrophic event, such as Haiti, or to simply get them to schoolkids to keep music in their lives. We started talking about this over on the UAS Support Group, and it's time to give it a thread of its own.
Continuing that discussion, this thread is for brainstorming ideas about bringing this joy to kids globally, and making the world a better place.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: Ideas for Uke Charities

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:24 pm

I posted the link of a facebook group that, I believe, has the link of a Uke charity in it. Did no one see it?
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby biscuit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:29 pm

I did, and as I gathered from seeing the faces of other WTFIUOers when I joined, so did a lot of the others;-)

Still, I don't think joining the anti-suck campaign bars us from thinking of alternative ways to brighten someone's days by bringing the uke into their lives:) I would still love to perhaps run our own little Uke Charity Project. It needen't be a huge thing, but I think it could be a cool thing to do as an orchestra :rock:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:26 pm

Agreed - there are many organizations dedicated to a single cause; AIDS, for example has Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, AMFAR, etc. They may each have a different twist on the cause, but they both want to do something about the disease.

I'm thinking about something like Ukes For Youths as a name for what we want to do. Any other ideas?

If we want to help young people, we should try to figure out how we as a small group could start to help them with ukes - some sort of mission statement, philosophy, any sort of ideas?

Last night I thought about celebs associated with the uke - obviously WIUO, and then I thought about William H Macy, a popular actor who has a few uke videos out there. I'm thinking if and when we get organized with a definite purpose, they are people we should contact.

This is a great place to throw out any ideas you may have, so bring 'em on.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Return to Uke players corner